Author Topic: Alex Rance [merged]  (Read 207708 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: Alex Rance - 200 games [merged]
« Reply #2265 on: March 23, 2019, 05:44:11 AM »
ACL not as bad as a PCL?
Full year?

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2266 on: March 23, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
ACL is worse than a PCL!

YET depends on the Grade tear!

Could Rance have LARS surgery?

Goldsack came back from a ACL within a year!

Also Rance posted on Instagram that he is “likely miss” the season.

I think he is optimistic about it!

Rance makes up a lot and he is a bigger loss than what Collingwood and West Coast had!

He has been the competitions best key defender for 5 years in a row!

Richmond do need to think about blooding a new cub.

I would like to see Grathwaite play as that CHB and have Astbury at FB.

Vlastuin to be that intercept marker!

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2267 on: March 23, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »
ACL is worse than a PCL!

YET depends on the Grade tear!

Could Rance have LARS surgery?

Goldsack came back from a ACL within a year!

Also Rance posted on Instagram that he is “likely miss” the season.

I think he is optimistic about it!

Rance makes up a lot and he is a bigger loss than what Collingwood and West Coast had!

He has been the competitions best key defender for 5 years in a row!

Richmond do need to think about blooding a new cub.

I would like to see Grathwaite play as that CHB and have Astbury at FB.

Vlastuin to be that intercept marker!
ACL is generally worse as you are out for a year but surgeons are more experienced at the surgery so if it's agood repair you should be fine when you come back. LARS is not popular anymore. Actually when some started doing the surgery here it already had been banned in Europe. He is a much bigger loss than what other teams lost. Hopefully we can blood Garthwaite when he is ready. Balta is the other tall we can play down back (I think he is a better defender than forward anyway). When playing smaller forward lines I'd like to see us give Stack a go. He has been one of our bests in every match he has played so far and has great footskills coming out of defence. He also does not fear physical contact as opposed to others who shall remain nameless. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2268 on: March 23, 2019, 12:04:58 PM »
We don't have the best back 6 any more so I guess we just need to accept we'll have a more leaky defense and try and pile on enough goals to get across the line? Also for the drs on this forum. Has anyone ever come back from an ACL within the same season?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2269 on: March 23, 2019, 12:57:46 PM »
We don't have the best back 6 any more so I guess we just need to accept we'll have a more leaky defense and try and pile on enough goals to get across the line? Also for the drs on this forum. Has anyone ever come back from an ACL within the same season?
Didn't Goldsack come back last year but I think he did his in the preseason IIRC?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2270 on: March 23, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
At this stage the indications are that the synthetic ligaments have a higher likelihood of re-injury, compared to traditional surgical techniques.

https://www.latrobe.edu.au/nest/acl-injuries-in-the-afl-qa-with-dr-courtney-lai/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2271 on: March 23, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »
Didn't Goldsack come back last year but I think he did his in the preseason IIRC?
Yep. Goldsack did his ACL in the Pies' last preseason game in March last year. Came back 5 months later to play in the finals.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/it-is-remarkable-to-say-he-only-tore-his-acl-five-months-ago-tyson-goldsack-completes-remarkable-return-in-the-west/news-story/dbc7223883210958bde5cc0e27965cd6

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2272 on: March 23, 2019, 02:37:39 PM »
Yep. Goldsack did his ACL in the Pies' last preseason game in March last year. Came back 5 months later to play in the finals.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/it-is-remarkable-to-say-he-only-tore-his-acl-five-months-ago-tyson-goldsack-completes-remarkable-return-in-the-west/news-story/dbc7223883210958bde5cc0e27965cd6

Essentially a week before rance and was back for week 1 of finals.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2273 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:15 PM »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2274 on: March 23, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »

Had his surgery on the day the season started in 2018 so a few days ahead of Rance

How bad is the ACL compared to Goldsack
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2275 on: March 24, 2019, 09:54:43 AM »
Still devastated about losing Rance for the season but as a club you have to move on pretty quickly.

IMO it gives us an opportunity to change things slightly.

Garthwaite is young and still learning but IMO he plays more like Astbury than Rance. I personally don’t think we can play 2 slower types like Astbury and Garthwaite in the same side.

Hawthorn for many years when they were the best side played a more “undersized” more athletic backline that worked together to beat the “big forwards” rather than trying to play bigger slower players on them.

Birchall, Gibson, Lake and Stratton are all undersized for KPD but did the job for many years as they were all athletic and able to cover the ground so they could help out teammates in the air.
 The key is they just worked together and had a player drop off to jump over the top to spoil. (Third man up)

We have Astbury, Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin who IMO can do the same thing  but the most important thing is other 2 small defenders need to be able to defend first and foremost as well as to be able to still provide drive from our defence.

So IMO Houli needs to be moved further up the ground or plays in the early game. I know he played good in a Grand Final 25 games ago but even the biggest of Houli fans would concede, his ability to defend dangerous small forwards is very limited at best.

Short stays for mine as I don’t think he defends nearly as bad as others say and his rebound running and long kicking is as good as any other player in the comp.

So to replace Rance I think we need to find a tough, lock down, super quick, smallish defender that can still contribute with moving the footy out of our backline as well as defend.  (Hodge played that roll at times at Hawthorn in those Grand Final winning years)

Is Sydney Stack that man?....

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2276 on: March 24, 2019, 10:42:04 AM »
"Is Sydney Stack that man?...."
Maybe, possibly a good choice?
It worked up forward last 2 years.
Could the same system work in the back line?

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2277 on: March 24, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
I agree BT.  Instead of looking for another big KPD to replace Rance we need to think outside the box with a small.  Let's face it, Rance is irreplaceable.  Let it go, move on. 
Sydney Stack just might be the thing we need!   We have often struggled to counter the speedy small/med forwards, let's take this on as an opportunity to try something different. 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2278 on: March 24, 2019, 11:20:09 AM »
I agree BT.  Instead of looking for another big KPD to replace Rance we need to think outside the box with a small.  Let's face it, Rance is irreplaceable.  Let it go, move on. 
Sydney Stack just might be the thing we need!   We have often struggled to counter the speedy small/med forwards, let's take this on as an opportunity to try something different.
Yeah the luxury of having Grimes play on the smalls like Eddie Betts is probably gone with the injury of Rance but he has shown he can also play on the medium talks like McGovern from Carlton.

Now just need to find the player than keep the Eddie Betts of the competition quiet.

Could we turn McIntosh into a Grimes type of defender?
He is a great size, tough and annoying, fit, and moves really well. He is just a bit robotic at the moment IMO and probably needs to learn how to cut the angles down like Grimes does rather than just chase arse. He needs to get smarter.
I’m tipping Rance could teach him a lot as a back man in a short amount of time.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2279 on: March 24, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »
Is Garthwaite that slow?

Only seen him play once, but he reminded me more of Grimes than of Astbury or Rance.