Author Topic: Rookie #4: Cam Howat  (Read 5898 times)

Ox

Re: Rookie #4: Cam Howat
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »
obviously they wanted for nobody else to have him :D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »
obviously they wanted for nobody else to have him :D
;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 02:39:34 PM »
Bizarre decision.
Howat is the epitome of mediocrity.

Surely we could have gotten another fresh face to the club. :-\

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 06:06:34 PM »
Bizarre decision.
Howat is the epitome of mediocrity.

Surely we could have gotten another fresh face to the club. :-\
Don't understand why either but the Club was always going to re-rookie Cam if he didn't get picked up by someone else.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 07:19:33 PM »
I am still perplexed :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

richmondrules

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 07:59:32 PM »
At the end of 2004 Cam was a shining light. He is a bit limited in skill and play but his work ethic is excellent and no body can question his heart. As late as the end of the 2005 (or was it 2006) season people were calling for him to be promoted to the seniors and some felt it was tough that he remained on the rookie list.

I don't think Cam has changed much (maybe that's his problem) but the fact that people are now calling for his delistment (he must have been very close to not getting another go) and the fact that the club came close to moving him on, says volumes for the development of our list.

I sincerely hope the club does their utmost to find him a home next season. I don't think he will be with us but I think he would be good value at a club who needs his sort of player.

I take great heart from the fact that Cam no longer seems good enough for us.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 09:10:51 PM »
At the end of 2004 Cam was a shining light.

Cam the man was not on the list in 2004.

He is apparently good enough for us, hence he was drafted. Why not take a punt on a highly rated young bloke who got cut like Freo's Dunn instead of a older proven hack?

Strange pick up.

richmondrules

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »
At the end of 2004 Cam was a shining light.

Cam the man was not on the list in 2004.

He is apparently good enough for us, hence he was drafted. Why not take a punt on a highly rated young bloke who got cut like Freo's Dunn instead of a older proven hack?

Strange pick up.

Must have been the end of 2005 then, but I'm not sure that changes my point which is that Cam is now well and truly on the fringe of the team.

I refuse to look negatively at the situation. The football staff had plenty of time to assess the people we had training with us.

I too do not see the long term value in Howat, but I do not begrudge him his spot and I won't call him a hack because I know he will be down at the club training his guts out for the whole of 2008.

Evidence suggests our football staff may disagree with your assessment of Dunn.

Little Jackie

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 09:35:32 PM »
This is bizarre ::)
Surely they have seen enough of him to know if  he is any good or not.
Bad decision to rookie him I reckon.
Sorry Terrible

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »
This is bizarre ::)
Surely they have seen enough of him to know if  he is any good or not.
Bad decision to rookie him I reckon.
Sorry Terrible

pains me to say it, but you are absolutely correct IMHO.  :banghead

Little Jackie

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 09:45:48 PM »
It saying too me that they are sitting on the fence with the kid where other players have had more than a fair chance and are still there ::)

T2

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 02:14:29 AM »
At the end of 2004 Cam was a shining light. He is a bit limited in skill and play but his work ethic is excellent and no body can question his heart. As late as the end of the 2005 (or was it 2006) season people were calling for him to be promoted to the seniors and some felt it was tough that he remained on the rookie list.

I don't think Cam has changed much (maybe that's his problem) but the fact that people are now calling for his delistment (he must have been very close to not getting another go) and the fact that the club came close to moving him on, says volumes for the development of our list.

I sincerely hope the club does their utmost to find him a home next season. I don't think he will be with us but I think he would be good value at a club who needs his sort of player.

then tell me again why he is on our rookie list?

i have no problem with rewarding hard workers, but by the 3rd time i think its best to move on to a fresh face

the fact that howat wasnt drafted by another club says his worth as a player

richmondrules

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »
then tell me again why he is on our rookie list?

Don't know. I'm not a big one for making things up and getting worked up into a state over decisions made to which I do not have all the facts. My original post was merely an observation, take it or leave it. I can't be bothered worrying about why they used the last rookie draft pick on him. In the scheme of things it seems quite unimportant. You will probably need to ask someone at the club for an accurate answer to your question, though you may not like or agree with the answer.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 08:36:35 AM »
IMO, Cam's only fault is that he is one sided. I was one of a group of people who supported his move off the rookie list last time. I totally disagree with Bentleigh's comments. He is not rubbish, he can play. He is by no means a star or even a potential star but he is serviceable and can fill a hole if need be. He is well liked at the club and has an excellent work ethic which I'm sure will inspire some of the younger guys.

I can't see what the problem is with his selection as the 4th Rookie?? The club isn't stupid as shown by our excellent draft selections this year. We had a heap of potential youngsters under the microscope and obviously none of them were up to scratch. We so often ridicule the club for selecting rejects from other clubs so it baffles me as to why people here are regretting us not taken players like Ryley Dunn! ??? At least Cam has played on a semi-regular basis and even been in the top three players on the odd occasion. Just remember people he is a 4TH ROOKIE who has reasonable AFL experience which is an excellent insurance policy.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »
he is crap
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.