Author Topic: Age Poll: Will Terry Wallace be coaching Richmond in 2010?  (Read 16582 times)

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Age Poll: Will Terry Wallace be coaching Richmond in 2010?
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2009, 03:01:13 PM »
Its a simple equation based on where we finish:

1-6: he will get another couple
7-8: the board will see how the young fellas are progressing and whether over the season and in the finals we can quit our habit of being totally uncompetitive in some matches (e.g Sydney @ SCG last year)
9-10: He'd be very lucky
11-16: No

Now I think there is a lot of potential in the list, but at times last season, even over the second half of the season, I thought we were only a serious Richo injury from becoming a below average team.

If we get a good run with injuries, get through the first 6 games OK and the players are hungry then we should be OK.

If we wait until end of round 22 we will miss out on potential replacements

The decision on Wallace will be made before round 15

Ox

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2009, 03:40:56 PM »
which would mean they already have somebody.....

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »

Now Stripes i dont know what games you have been watching but this TW has had 4 years of which we have played SFA finals.

Simple. Play finals and he stays. Miss finals and FFS finally show this guy the door.

I was referring to the first 6 games not the season as a whole. Regardless I think if we continue to show improvement, which is finals in 2009, then he should be given an extention. Even the worst sceptic can see we have improved and our young side is on the way up which is exactly what TW was brought in to do.

The question you should be asking is if we get rid of TW is the next coach going to do any better or will it just be the maturity of the playing list? TW is a good game day coach who has developed the list to suit his game plan so why risk bringing in a coach that could attempt to change the list, style of play and push our flag chances back even further.

Patience is the key

Stripes

bushranger

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
To be hoest with you all. I think that he should go no further than the end of this season.
I do think that he has had enough time to prove his point without much of a great result.
As for who to replace him well there might be a couple like Nathan Buckely for one.
He might step up and become a seniors coach in 2010. And there is alway Sheedy to.
Though I wouldn't be suprised to see him get another 2 year added to his contract and I can live with that to.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:35 PM »
The question you should be asking is if we get rid of TW is the next coach going to do any better or will it just be the maturity of the playing list? TW is a good game day coach who has developed the list to suit his game plan so why risk bringing in a coach that could attempt to change the list, style of play and push our flag chances back even further.

because we might get better.

Wallace has had 5 years towards building for this coming season.
I am not simply hoping that we just fall into the 8, I want to see us pushing the best teams in the competition to the limit.

Many don't want to hear it but after this year we have 6 30+yr olds the likes of Cousins, Brown, Bowden, Johnson, Simmonds and Richardson all getting close to the end. A few won't be there in 2011 and those that are will be well past their best.

The key forward/ruck stocks are still very uncertain.

We have got some pain ahead even if we make the 8 this year unless some of these talented kids step up very quickly.

patience is the key

Patience? 5 years is patience enough. I want to see some success.
Either Terry makes it happen in '09 or someone else gets a turn.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »
Simple. Play finals and he stays. Miss finals and FFS finally show this guy the door.

So daniel if (when ;D) we play finals how many years extension would you give him?

WP you need to get your head out of TW's behind for a sec and understand the whole picture.

he deserves not even a year extension he has done SFA and you all know it.

show me a coach in the history of the AFL who has had the first 4 completed years of coaching with no finals and still had a job.

however if i see finals i will be so happy he would be the last person on my mind. 

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2009, 09:56:27 PM »

WP you need to get your head out of TW's behind for a sec and understand the whole picture.

he deserves not even a year extension he has done SFA and you all know it.

show me a coach in the history of the AFL who has had the first 4 completed years of coaching with no finals and still had a job.

however if i see finals i will be so happy he would be the last person on my mind. 

daniel you need to read the question I asked and answer it

You said that if we don't play finals he is gone - guess what I agree with you.

No doubt; no finals = no contract extension

My question to you was - if we play finals, he gets a new contract you even said that; how long would you give him? 1, 2 or 3 years

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »
My question to you was - if we play finals, he gets a new contract you even said that; how long would you give him? 1, 2 or 3 years

I've made the question stick out a bit more which may help

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2009, 10:05:26 PM »

I've made the question stick out a bit more which may help

okay 1 year thats all he deserves.

he deserves 1 year for making me see my 3 finals campaign since 1982, in fact anyone does

Ox

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »

So daniel if (when ;D) we play finals how many years extension would you give him?

What's the whole picture ???????
Tell me....and yeh WP,get ur head out of ur khoulo :lol

Does that even make any sense               ???

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2009, 10:18:44 PM »

I'm confident you wouldn't know the whole picture if it jumped up and bit you on your rump.

Mark Thompson's record of 5th (and out in their first game), 12th, 9th and 12th is close enough to prove your point fos but for the record:

Denis Pagan - Carlton - 15th, 11th, 16th, 16th.

or another one just as close/bad as Thompson:

Dean Laidley - Kangaroos - 10th, 10th, 7th (and out in their first game), 14th.

Proving how shallow and fickle your 'considered' opinion really is.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
Great facts Smokey.

Maybe we could give TW a year contract with an extra year extension based on a clause that if the tiges go backward he is to be publicly flogged.  That may settle some of the excitable supporters we have.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »

I'm confident you wouldn't know the whole picture if it jumped up and bit you on your rump.

Mark Thompson's record of 5th (and out in their first game), 12th, 9th and 12th is close enough to prove your point fos but for the record:

Denis Pagan - Carlton - 15th, 11th, 16th, 16th.

or another one just as close/bad as Thompson:

Dean Laidley - Kangaroos - 10th, 10th, 7th (and out in their first game), 14th.

Proving how shallow and fickle your 'considered' opinion really is.

show me a coach in the history of the AFL who has had the first 4 completed years of coaching with no finals and still had a job is what i said?

I see you still have an issue reading english.
I thought maybe over the summer you might have eased up and let the mrs go to town on you, but clearly that hasn't happened so i guess we are stuck with your childish comments.

Denis Pagan is a dud and we will be heading down that road if TW doesn't pull his finger out of his ar-se so in fairness thats 1 coach.

As for Bomber and Laidely, they made finals didn't they fool. Something we haven't done very well in 25 years.

Lets worry about making finals first and as a long time supporter its all about that one thing "FINALS".

I dont care about how good a "game day " coach he is i want to hear about how good a overall coach he is.
Cant believe someone on here said that to be honest. Look at the buldogs and what happened there. Great "game day" coach our TW was but they didn't win a flag now did they.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2009, 08:29:52 PM »

show me a coach in the history of the AFL who has had the first 4 completed years of coaching with no finals and still had a job is what i said?

I see you still have an issue reading english.

I quoted an example and also 2 other 'close enoughs' to prove your statement as full of crap.  No problem with my comprehension com-padre.

I thought maybe over the summer you might have eased up and let the mrs go to town on you, but clearly that hasn't happened so i guess we are stuck with your childish comments.

:scream  What the?

Denis Pagan is a dud and we will be heading down that road if TW doesn't pull his finger out of his ar-se so in fairness thats 1 coach.

As for Bomber and Laidely, they made finals didn't they fool. Something we haven't done very well in 25 years.

Mmmm, something 2 other coaching legends in Northey and Frawley achieved.  There's the benchmark of a great coach if ever I heard it.

Lets worry about making finals first and as a long time supporter its all about that one thing "FINALS".

As a longer time supporter it's nothing to do with finals and everything to do with building a core in the club that continually puts the team in a premiership winning position.  Ask St Kilda or Collingwod how well you travel making finals every year.  You may as well look at pictures of naked woman - teasing but useless.

I dont care about how good a "game day " coach he is i want to hear about how good a overall coach he is.
Cant believe someone on here said that to be honest. Look at the buldogs and what happened there. Great "game day" coach our TW was but they didn't win a flag now did they.

Was that the same club that Malthouse coached for 6 years to 1 final appearance before getting the flick?

You are a genuine knob.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2009, 10:47:08 PM »

because we might get better.

Wallace has had 5 years towards building for this coming season.
I am not simply hoping that we just fall into the 8, I want to see us pushing the best teams in the competition to the limit.

Many don't want to hear it but after this year we have 6 30+yr olds the likes of Cousins, Brown, Bowden, Johnson, Simmonds and Richardson all getting close to the end. A few won't be there in 2011 and those that are will be well past their best.

The key forward/ruck stocks are still very uncertain.

We have got some pain ahead even if we make the 8 this year unless some of these talented kids step up very quickly.

TW has had 5 years yes but he has completely striped the list in that time and started again with youth. Other coaches have come into clubs and had players of quality to work with from the start but our cupboard was almost bare. How many other coaches have had to do the cleanout TW needed to? If you even look at the best of the players that he has kept only one of them is irreplacable (Richo) and the rest will be struggling to make the 22 this year.

You can not look over the last 4 years and legitimately say that he should have taken the team to finals and a flag. He was rebuilding, the team was full of football infants and average strugglers.

The only year you can legitimately even start to measure TW as a coach is possible this year when he finally has a side to coach. You can only do so much with a developing list but now his list is starting to come of age so accountability is finally hear.

Everyone agrees that 2009 is finals or bust for TW but I only hope that if we do miss out it is not due to injuries or the like because this would not be a fair indicator. If on the other hand TW coaches poorly, makes bad onfield moves and matchups and loses the faith of the squad then he should be moved on but if we do make the finals then try something new - start to actually give credit where credit is due and get off his back!  :pray

Stripes