Author Topic: Sugar remains captain / leadership group for 2008 announced  (Read 2459 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sugar remains captain / leadership group for 2008 announced
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
Just announced on SEN

Captain: Kane Johnson
Vice captains: Newman, Foley
Others in Leadership group: Simmonds, Browny, Joel Bowden, Pettifer
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:07:31 PM by one-eyed »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Sugar remains captain / leadership group for 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 04:18:38 PM »
Looks like the succession plan is in place with Newy and Axel vice-captains and potentially vying for the captaincy in 2009.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

Re: Sugar remains captain / leadership group for 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 04:22:24 PM »
I wont be the only one waiting with a gun and a knife if he

a)-kicks the wrong way

b)-Continues to feign attempts to make the hard ball gets.
I would rather he gets crunched and rubbed out for 10 weeks.

c)- Continues to have no personality,no presence and the inability to command respect from HIS OPPONENTS,
let alone his team and suppoters.

he obviously thinks he is the man for the job as he took it again....
I obviously thinks he a shitman and want to see him stuffed off.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
New Tiger generation steps up (RFC)
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:06:49 PM »
New Tiger generation steps up
3:54 PM Mon 14 January, 2008
for richmondfc.com.au

The Club is pleased to announce some exciting changes to its Leadership team for 2008.

Kane Johnson will Captain the Richmond Football Club for the fourth consecutive season. His new Vice-Captains will be Chris Newman and Nathan Foley. Chris has been elevated from the Leadership group to Vice Captain and Nathan joins the Leadership team for the first time.

Senior Coach Terry Wallace said “It’s a great sign for the Club to see some of our younger generation emerging as leaders and wanting to take on more responsibility. Both Chris and Nathan are very hard working, set great examples, and are very much respected within the group. We look forward to them helping shape the future of our Club”.

The Leadership team will also include Troy Simmonds, Nathan Brown, Joel Bowden and for the first time, Kane Pettifer.

“It is also pleasing to still have several, highly respected senior players in our Leadership team. They will continue to play an extremely important role in the development of our group and ably assist Kane, Chris and Nathan” said Wallace.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54600

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Sugar remains captain / leadership group for 2008 announced
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
Interesting the Club has left out anyone U22 including Lids. Obviously we want the cubs to consistently deliver like Foley did last year before rewarding them. No Richo either although he wasn't in last year's leadership group.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:05:52 PM »
he is the worst captain that i have seen at richmond fc and possibly one of the worst i have seen at any club in the afl.

i mean for Geez sakes how can a man be the leader at ur club if he cant kick to his own players, or lead  the club to a victory off his own boot, just once.

if we are 5 goals down with 10mins to go i can tell u who wouldnt be getting us back into the game and that is KJ. I personally cant wait for him to either leave punt road or retire and the only reason he is a half descent tagger because in my opinion thats what best suits him. The less he touches the ball the better and if that makes a good captain then you all are kidding yourselves.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »
Pretty obvious that Newman is the next RFC captain.

Axel can't possibly be captain.... he'd have to give up his number 41 jumper  ;D

:eyebrow

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
and personally i cant wait for that to happen. he never stops trying that bloke.

look sugar may have been a good player at adelaide but he has lost it completely in 2007.

we cannot be taken seriously until he is relieved off the captaincy. what i saw from him last year was unacceptable
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 07:52:26 PM »
Foley's career keeps getting better for himself ...

Chris Newman ... i would love to see him Captain Richmond in his No.1 ...

if we had a polled between Newman and Foley as our next captain ...

Newman would differently win ...

Congrats to both Chris Newman and Nathan Foley as our New Vice-Captains ...

Pettifer is very interesting ... i don't see him as a player that younger players look up too ... his body lauguage on match day is very baddd ...

buttt ... like Kane Johnson .. it seems the Players respect them ...

Richardson is our oldest player and isn't in the leadership group ... not sure if that is good or not ...

though ... i am 80% sure ini 2009 we will have a New Captain ... and i would cancel out Mark Coughlan too !!!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »
WP would be so thrilled being a big fan of his ;D.

Richardson is our oldest player and isn't in the leadership group ... not sure if that is good or not ...
Richo stepped down from the leadership group last year to give someone else a go.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers pick surprise vice-captains (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:41:08 AM »
Tigers pick surprise vice-captains
15 January 2008   Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

RICHMOND yesterday turned to a recent rookie and an unheralded defender in a radical shake-up of its leadership group for the 2008 season.

The club announced midfielder Kane Johnson would retain the captaincy for the fourth year, but turned heads by elevating Chris Newman and Nathan Foley as vice-captains.

Foley, 22, was only elevated off the rookie list in 2005, while Newman, 25, has almost no profile outside Punt Rd but a reputation as a future captain within the club.

The club is focusing on a youth-led resurgence, with football director Greg Miller last week comparing the club to the young Kangaroos outfit of the early 1990s.

Kayne Pettifer joins Foley in the leadership group for the first time, while Mark Coughlan has stepped down to concentrate on recovering from two knee reconstructions.

Ruckman Troy Simmonds, 2007 vice-captain Nathan Brown and defender Joel Bowden retain their places in the leadership group.

Reigning best-and-fairest winner Matthew Richardson stepped down from the leadership group last year to give younger players opportunities.

Foley, who recently agreed to a two-year contract extension, was a revelation last season. He was beaten by only one vote in the club's Jack Dyer Medal.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace said yesterday the club was moving in a bold new direction.

"It's a great sign for the club to see some of our younger generation emerging as leaders and wanting to take on more responsibility," he said.

"Both Chris and Nathan are very hard working, set great examples, and are very much respected within the group. We look forward to them helping shape the future of our club."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,23052801^20322,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Foley’s star continues to rise (RFC)
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:43:36 AM »
Foley’s star continues to rise
6:09 PM Mon 14 January, 2008
By Ben Broad
richmondfc.com.au

NATHAN Foley’s appointment as one of Richmond’s two vice-captains for season 2008 continues the 22-year-old’s rapid rise to the AFL’s elite.

Unwanted in the 2003 NAB AFL Draft, Foley, who along with Chris Newman will serve as a deputy to skipper Kane Johnson, was among the Tigers’ new leadership group announced by the club on Monday.

Foley was ecstatic to learn that he would play a part in helping try to lead the Tigers back up the AFL table in coming years.

“It’s a big honour, it’s massive,” he told afl.com.au.

“It’s been a quick turnaround I suppose, so it’s really exciting.”

Foley, or “Axel” as he is known down at Punt Road, has had to do it the hard way to make it to the top level – despite starring for the Geelong Falcons at under-18 level.

Considered too small by many clubs as an 18 year old, Foley’s relentless work ethic eventually paid off.

“I went down and started training with Melbourne and trained there for a while … I trained there pretty much up until the rookie draft,” Foley recalled.

“I got picked up by Richmond early in the rookie draft. Richmond had spoken to me but didn’t tell me when they were going to take me or anything like that.

“So I didn’t have much of an idea what was going on. Melbourne had shown a little bit of interest as well, but yeah Richmond picked me up early, which was good.”

Tigers fans would be thanking their lucky stars the club’s recruiting staff did so, as the former Colac boy has basically gone from strength to strength ever since.

It’s difficult to believe that just four years ago the determined midfielder was playing the odd game for the Coburg reserves in the VFL.

“I played in Coburg’s twos a few times and that sort of stuff in 2004, but by the end of the season I was playing some decent, consistent footy at VFL level I suppose,” he said.

“Then in 2005 I played first rover at Coburg and was lucky enough to get called up about round 10 to make my AFL debut and was sort of in and out of the Richmond side a little bit from then on in.”

After two seasons on the Tigers’ rookie list, the club then elevated Foley to its senior list. The rest, as they say, is history.

Last year, as most footy fans and especially those yellow and black diehards would know, was Foley’s breakout season.

His 2007 season saw him nominated for All-Australian selection, finish runner-up to champion Matthew Richardson in the Tigers’ best and fairest, and undoubtedly catapulted him into leadership calculations.

This week’s appointments at Tigerland came as no surprise to Geelong Falcons regional manager Michael Turner, who knows a thing or two about leadership.

Turner, a former Geelong captain who played 245 matches for the Cats, says Foley’s attitude has helped him reach where he is today.

“The most important thing to me is attitude, and if you’ve got the attitude and you’re coachable and you’ve got the desire to work really hard, which he has, then once you’re drafted to an AFL club … you can improve out of sight,” Turner said.

“It’s just a great story because he’s a fantastic kid.

“He made probably the best speech I’ve ever heard when he won our best and fairest [in 2003].

“He had no notes, no nothing and I don’t think he missed anyone in the room. He’s just an outstanding kid.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54605

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
I agree with you torch about Pettifer.
Actually, he's a sook, and hopefully this will help him cut that out of his game.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 06:18:34 PM »
Petts still kicked 37 goals averaging 16 possies last year but I reckon he'll will find it a lot easier if Browny plays most of the year. When you look at the Roos forwards say they all had pretty much the same return as Petts. The difference was the top sides had 4 to 6 players kicking 30+ goals. We only had Richo and Petts as scoring options with Lids next best on 21 goals (Browny also kicked 21 in half a season).

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
WP would be so thrilled being a big fan of his ;D.

Yeah I'm absolutely thrilled at the prospect :whistle  :P :yep :nope
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)