Author Topic: Gloomy outlook on Punt Road horizon - The Age  (Read 14494 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Gloomy outlook on Punt Road horizon - The Age
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 06:27:05 PM »
"supporters still angry with the selection of Richard Tambling ahead of Lance Franklin in the 2004 draft."

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz   :banghead

The problem is this. I dont believe people should compare one to the other.
Agree. You never hear any Griffen/Buddy comparisons. Oh that's right the doggies don't sell papers nor generate any en masse calling spree to radio stations  :whistle.

Would Tambling get a game at another club ?
Has Tambling delivered anything ?
Dont get me wrong, I watched Tambling play at Under18 level and was involved in the process to get him to Punt Road. He was a superstar when playing under 18 and it was an easy selection for the club to pick him up. Has he developed as a player ?, there is the question, I would think not.
Yet Foley, Thursty and Kingy (although he's older) can work their backsides off to come via the rookie list and become our best players.

Blingers was a star in U18 division 2 Jack; not division 1 as Lids was. Different standards of junior footy. I still think Richie has the talent but he needs to consistently attack the footy.

In any case one "wrong" decision at the draft table doesn't hurt a whole list. Geelong don't have a "Buddy" yet won the flag in a cakewalk.

The decision to pick Richard Tambling was sealed after his efforts in a game NT/Queensland ? or Allies or whatever versus the rest.
game was played at Princess Park, he was easily the best player in that match.
Whether he played in Division 1, 2 or whatever is irrelevant to the decision that was made. ::)
What I said is starring in Division 2 is different to starring in Division 1 or alike junior competitions such as the TAC Cup, SANFL or WAFL colts. You can't dispute that. It's a lower standard. That's why 95% of top 20 picks are taken from Division 1 let alone top 5. The only star I can think of that came from Div 2 in the past 10 years was Nick Riewoldt. Brennan and the Clarke brothers have hardly set the AFL alight. You would hope the decision to recruit Richie was based on far more than starring in one Div 2 U18 game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 06:33:13 PM »

It seems to me that in the end we have to many players who just dont care enough to succeed.

bingo.

noooooooooooo  Bingoooooooooooooooo lol  Ha hahahahaha
So it's the fault of lazy players who could but don't demand a higher standard of themselves :thumbsup.

Little Jackie

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
"supporters still angry with the selection of Richard Tambling ahead of Lance Franklin in the 2004 draft."

Agree. You never hear any Griffen/Buddy comparisons. Oh that's right the doggies don't sell papers nor generate any en masse calling spree to radio stations  :whistle.

Dont get me wrong, I watched Tambling play at Under18 level and was involved in the process to get him to Punt Road. He was a superstar when playing under 18 and it was an easy selection for the club to pick him up. Has he developed as a player ?, there is the question, I would think not.
Yet Foley, Thursty and Kingy (although he's older) can work their backsides off to come via the rookie list and become our best players.

Blingers was a star in U18 division 2 Jack; not division 1 as Lids was. Different standards of junior footy. I still think Richie has the talent but he needs to consistently attack the footy.

In any case one "wrong" decision at the draft table doesn't hurt a whole list. Geelong don't have a "Buddy" yet won the flag in a cakewalk.

The decision to pick Richard Tambling was sealed after his efforts in a game NT/Queensland ? or Allies or whatever versus the rest.
Whether he played in Division 1, 2 or whatever is irrelevant to the decision that was made. ::)
What I said is starring in Division 2 is different to starring in Division 1 or alike junior competitions such as the TAC Cup, SANFL or WAFL colts. You can't dispute that. It's a lower standard. That's why 95% of top 20 picks are taken from Division 1 let alone top 5. The only star I can think of that came from Div 2 in the past 10 years was Nick Riewoldt. Brennan and the Clarke brothers have hardly set the AFL alight. You would hope the decision to recruit Richie was based on far more than starring in one Div 2 U18 game.

Can tell you the decision was made after this game, beleive me or not.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »

You have guys like moore, thursfield and tambling to name 3 of 15 that are so skinny that they get easily bowled over by any number of AFL players.
Have another look. Moore is a tank.  ???

I once spoke to greg miller and asked him about the size of our players and he fed me some bull poo line about sore backs, hence why they cant put on size, especially refferring to thursfield.
Didn't Thursfield have stress fractures in his back? How was he supposed to lift weights?

Most of our "skinny" players have only been in the system for 3 years or less. The emphasis on building players up has only been since Wallace arrived. It doesn't happen overnight.
West Coast are years ahead and have the luxury of being able to develop players for 3 or 4 years before adding them to the senior side.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 09:24:55 PM »
What a pathetic piece of drivel but sadly one appearing right on queue after the reaction to last weeks glorifiend practice match result. The media live for (actually they lust after) the reaction of tiger supporters after a loss. And boy didn't we give them what they so desperately crave.

Funny thing is that once an article like this appears people seem to go into the super defensive mode of "why are they picking on me, why are they calling us negative" It is hysterical - really it is  ;D

It was pathetic that Karen has used yet again the Tambling -v- Franklin debate, low blow Karen. However not surprising seeing she couldn't find 1 former player to come out and say something publicly. All she gave was the old "cloaks & daggers" line that some players said things "privately" . I am not quite sure if that is reflection of her ability to get a story or the lack of conviction of former players.

It was a nothing story simply because it said very little apart from stating what most of us already know and that was people were disappointed with last weeks result and that has made some people give up on the season...big bloody deal...

Oh well I am sure can we expect the same sort of story on Carlton this week, perhaps the Bulldogs, what about geelong, surely their season is about to fall apart at the seams after losing on the weekend

Then again ...we know we wont because it doesn't make good copy at all does it

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »

It seems to me that in the end we have to many players who just dont care enough to succeed.

bingo.

whata ya mean no bingo ... yes bingo ... we are poo, our players dont care and we are a rabble

bingo, yes bingo, whether you like it or not its

BINGO time Jacko! ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2008, 09:33:27 PM »

Can tell you the decision was made after this game, beleive me or not.
I can believe it (you told me this before btw Jack ;) ) but you would hope with more resources being put towards recruiting we now judge junior footballers on more than just starring in one game.

Little Jackie

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »

bingo.

whata ya mean no bingo ... yes bingo ... we are pooh, our players dont care and we are a rabble

BINGO time Jacko! ;D

I agree Ramps.
I just wanted to say, ""Noooooo Bingooooooo"" lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »

You have guys like moore, thursfield and tambling to name 3 of 15 that are so skinny that they get easily bowled over by any number of AFL players.

I once spoke to greg miller and asked him about the size of our players and he fed me some bull poo line about sore backs, hence why they cant put on size, especially refferring to thursfield.
Didn't Thursfield have stress fractures in his back? How was he supposed to lift weights?
Yep FF Thursty had stress fractures in his back for a time being.

I wouldn't criticise Moore on his size. More he is an inch or two short to be a key defender IMO.

Ramps

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 09:42:42 PM »

bingo.

whata ya mean no bingo ... yes bingo ... we are pooh, our players dont care and we are a rabble

BINGO time Jacko! ;D

I agree Ramps.
I just wanted to say, ""Noooooo Bingooooooo"" lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

whatever happened to the indian who used to do that stuff in the program.

Ox

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
lmao - were stuffed.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 10:00:36 PM »
What a pathetic piece of drivel but sadly one appearing right on queue after the reaction to last weeks glorified practice match result. The media live for (actually they lust after) the reaction of tiger supporters after a loss. And boy didn't we give them what they so desperately crave.

Funny thing is that once an article like this appears people seem to go into the super defensive mode of "why are they picking on me, why are they calling us negative" It is hysterical - really it is  ;D

Agree WP.

Self important diatribe with little analysis is the basis of fact in some circles.

An opinion doesn't necessarily translate into coherent analysis.

Reminds me of someone who once said something about not sitting on a fence ....

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 10:54:19 PM »

Most of our "skinny" players have only been in the system for 3 years or less. The emphasis on building players up has only been since Wallace arrived. It doesn't happen overnight.
West Coast are years ahead and have the luxury of being able to develop players for 3 or 4 years before adding them to the senior side.

sorry i take it all back. i must have been so wrong in assuming we are so weak and skinny its not even funny anymore.

i will not get into this with any of u.
we r a team full of skinny players who get brushed aside so easy its pathetic.
we lay a tackle and the opposing players break those tackles quicker than sugar missing a target
don't talk to me about eagles being 3 years ahead in development. check out the pies and other teams.
development is a joke at punt road and if u don't believe that well u must be on something.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 11:47:05 PM »

sorry i take it all back. i must have been so wrong....

Very noble of you to concede.  ;D

One person has stated they "totally agree" with you. If you send that person your opinion via pm you'll never have to worry about getting precious and resorting to crap like "u must be on something" when anyone disagrees with you or points out holes in your argument.  :-*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 12:03:34 AM by Fishfinger »
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Tigermonk

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2008, 12:22:38 AM »
we won the wooden spoon last year so who cares whats written about the RFC
we years off progressing anywhere up the ladder its the assistant coaching staff is whats the clubs problem
Until we get some experienced coaches to coach with Terry the media will always rubbish us
l dont care what the media say as long as the RFC & the players shut there mouths & play football
bad skills & size points to one thing THE COACHES
Skills are shocking its got nothing to do about the fitness its the skills & tactics that cost us games