Author Topic: Tackling  (Read 13420 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tackling
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2008, 02:49:10 AM »
RFC tackles after 9 rounds

Total   Avg
Johnson         33      4.1
Tambling        30     3.3 
Foley              29     3.2 
King               26     2.9 
Tuck               25     2.8 
White             22     3.1 
Newman         20     2.2
Deledio           17     1.9 
McMahon        16      1.8 
McGuane        15      3.0 
Riewoldt         15      2.5
Pattison         14       1.8 
Moore            14       1.6 
Brown            14      1.6 
Schulz           13      1.6
Simmonds     12      1.3 
Morton          11      1.8 
Thursfield      10      1.1
Hyde             10      1.4
Pettifer          10      2.5 
Edwards          9      1.5 
Polak               9      1.3 
Jackson           8      2.0
Bowden           7      1.4
Polo                6      6.0
Richardson      5      0.6
Howat             2      2.0
Raines             2      1.0
Cotchin            2      1.0 
Tivendale         0      0.0
Hughes            0      0.0 

http://finalsiren.com/Fixture.asp?SeasonID=2008&TeamID=8&Sort=Tackles%20Desc#Player

richmondrules

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2008, 07:03:12 AM »
Did anyone else notice a difference in our tackling against Essendon?

I noticed a couple of times our boys really wrapping the player up then using their body as leverage to bring the player to the ground. Couple of times I felt I was watching the NRL. This is the first time that I have actually noticed an effect on our tackling from coaching we get from the Storm. When a player get caught in one of those tackles they are not going anywhere.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

I noticed a couple of times our boys really wrapping the player up then using their body as leverage to bring the player to the ground. Couple of times I felt I was watching the NRL. This is the first time that I have actually noticed an effect on our tackling from coaching we get from the Storm. When a player get caught in one of those tackles they are not going anywhere.

Tambling tackling/pressure was top shelf.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2008, 02:01:17 AM »

Yeah it was noticeable RROFO. There were also signs of it in the Saints game where we dominated the contested possessions around stoppages. Good to see us finally driving opponents into the turf in the tackle.

It's pleasing to see Whitey up there as one of our best tacklers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tackling a team tag: Wallace (RFC)
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2008, 01:38:42 AM »
Tackling a team tag: Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
 4:09 PM Wed 28 May, 2008

THE STAT deemed most important seems to go in cycles, and tackling is currently getting its time in the sun.

Once just a part of the much talked about but not really quantified 'one-percenters', tackling is the flavour of the month statistic it seems.

Tigers coach Terry Wallace says while tackling isn't the main indicator of how a team is travelling, it's certainly up there.

"I think our tackle count was the best that we'd had for the year, and it's something that we've had a strong emphasis on," he said.

"I think it's been something that's been pretty strong across the competition in general, but we believe that we've really improved in that part of our game, and they're the sort of things that we really want to be focusing on.

"I think it's one of the key indicators, but I don't think it's the only key indicator. I think what happens with this game is that everyone's trying to get an angle or get ahead of somebody else -- whether it be Hawthorn's rolling zone, or higher tackle efforts, or more interchange rotations – everyone's trying to get ahead of everyone else.

"So what happens is one part of the game will step up to a higher degree than where it's been previously. In recent times, the defensive aspects of the game have probably increased more so than other aspects of the game."

Wallace said tackling well was like a team-wide hard tag.

"We all go out and put taggers on keyline players, and you're doing that to not allow the best players in the land to have their own way.

"The tackling aspect is trying to do that over the course of a whole team. It's putting pressure on them not to be able to use their skills and their ability to the degree that they want to.

"The last two years we've had the Melbourne Storm boys down working with us on tackling technique, and they've done a heck of a lot of work with these guys in that area."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=60406

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »
I've just been reading on EOTT about Wallace going on about tackling and 'teams that are not prepared to pressurise their opponents will pay a hefty price'.

He's making it sounds as though he's discovered some new kind of football technique, when in fact it's well known and has been for years, that tackling is a very important part of the game.

Also, our tackling and pressure has improved this past 5 weeks, we're still 16th for tackles per game.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2008, 06:14:06 PM »
I've just been reading on EOTT about Wallace going on about tackling and 'teams that are not prepared to pressurise their opponents will pay a hefty price'.

He's making it sounds as though he's discovered some new kind of football technique, when in fact it's well known and has been for years, that tackling is a very important part of the game.

Also, our tackling and pressure has improved this past 5 weeks, we're still 16th for tackles per game.
Better late than never as far as Plough seeing the light. We're still mostly a young side so you would hope the tackle count heads upwards as the side matures in 2-3 years time.

We didn't have to tackle much last week because Essendon are crap  :D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2021, 05:33:38 PM »
How can we fall off so dramatically. One handed tackles is a disgrace no matter how many games you have played. Some of the senior players should be ashamed of themselves
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2021, 05:37:36 PM »
How can we fall off so dramatically. One handed tackles is a disgrace no matter how many games you have played. Some of the senior players should be ashamed of themselves
Back to 2016 tackling skill
The club that keeps giving.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »

It's an indictment on our senior players that a 19 y.o. kid in his first game is showing more intent with his tackles than they are

Kudos MR Jr  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)