Author Topic: Tackling  (Read 13340 times)

Offline coreybro

• Tiger Rookie
Tackling
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:41:48 PM »
I personally think the tackling is poor and hasnt got any better with the help from the Storm.

What does everyone else think

Tigermonk

Re: Tackling
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:21:47 AM »
nothing changes at Tigerland  :lol

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »
nothing changes at Tigerland  :lol

i second that. they are weak idiots.
most of them still weigh under 60kilo's so expect them to get thrown to the ground and every opportunity.
funny to see players from the 3006 draft stack on real size while our players seem to get skinnier. haha
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:04:44 PM by WilliamPowell »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »
Weight has nothing to do with it. Its all about technique. In Rugby league where tackling is their bread and butter I've seen Preston Campbell who is 70 odd kilos regularly put 110kg forwards on their backsides purely because of his technique

Offline Son of Dad

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »
Weight has nothing to do with it. Its all about technique. In Rugby league where tackling is their bread and butter I've seen Preston Campbell who is 70 odd kilos regularly put 110kg forwards on their backsides purely because of his technique

agreed and add desire and confidence and you have the ingredients for good tackling. Believing you can tackle a bloke twice as big as you is probably the biggest hurdle to actually making that tackle.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 05:05:14 PM »

weight has nothing to do with it hey.
its no coincidence that our players are all as skinny as my mrs and easily get brushed by any oponent that we play.

come on weight and size is a big issue at punt road. we dont develop our players in relation to size and to make things worse what do we do.

recruit mcmahon another skinny player who will never put on size.

like i said we r weak

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 08:19:04 PM »
We don't tackle; we stand back and correl which just gives the opposition player extra time to find a free teammate :whistle. When we do tackle we don't take the player out of the play by taking him to ground.

I agree with tiga about tackling being about technique. Watch the hips! The hips can only move in the direction your opponent intends to move in. So watch the hips and your opponent won't get around you.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »
when the club has a chance to take blokes like Shannon Hurn and Scott Selwood and either a) passes on them or b) trades away the pick then we wont have an improved tackling side. If we had Hurn and Selwood in our defence we'd wouldnt have to be looking for some hard nosed good sized defenders with a bit of aggression.

Imagine if we had taken these two.

Thursfield- to take the third tall, Selwood and Hurn, add Conners to the of hard run and aggression, wait for Rance to come on as CHB. And then we'd just about be looking for the full back ... and a poor finish this year could get us Hurley. Imagine a young backline of

Thursfield Hurley Selwood
Hurn Rance Conners

Thats a back 6 you can develop into something special. Instead we by pass players and trade our picks. We are where we deserve to be ... On the bottom- because we never learn.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:44:21 AM »
went and watched the Force v Crusaders super 14 match on sunday arvo and those boys can tackle all day
mind you they are mainly a different build to a footy player   lots more bulk and brute strength  less agility and not as able to change direction in a hurry maybe why they dont seem to have as many serious knee injuries as AFL
 we could still learn from them as far as technique both for tackling and being able to break tackles
EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:52:41 AM »
Desire is what's lacking.

These players don't work hard enough off the ball.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 07:44:41 PM »
you dont need to spend the money on watching super 14's. Go and watch training at any local rugby union club and youll see how much practice is put into applying a tackle as well as being tackled.
Both my boys and i play rugby (in vic) and i tell you now the under 12 year olds do more and harder tackling than RFC.

If anyone is intersted in checking out a local team send me a PM and ill find the closest team to you.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »
when the club has a chance to take blokes like Shannon Hurn and Scott Selwood and either a) passes on them or b) trades away the pick then we wont have an improved tackling side. If we had Hurn and Selwood in our defence we'd wouldnt have to be looking for some hard nosed good sized defenders with a bit of aggression.

Thursfield- to take the third tall, Selwood and Hurn, add Conners to the of hard run and aggression, wait for Rance to come on as CHB. And then we'd just about be looking for the full back ... and a poor finish this year could get us Hurley. Imagine a young backline of

Hurn Rance Conners

Thats a back 6 you can develop into something special. Instead we by pass players and trade our picks. We are where we deserve to be ... On the bottom- because we never learn.

instead we pick up jordy mcmahon. now i dont blame this guy for coming to punt road. i blame miller and the spin doctor for picking this guy up. i dont care how he performs this year, good or bad. IT WAS THE WRONG CHOICE!!
he is another skinny non defensive player we simply did not need. not to mention the fact he has only one foot.
pathetic pick and just another reason why wallace and miller have'nt got a clue.
miller is a loose unit and will continue to recruit the same old stereo type players we have seen for years at Punt Road

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

Magic, I think it's partly that, but also that they are taught not to.
As MT says, they corral instead of tackle.

How often do you see a rfc opponent, with the ball on the HFF, take all day to decide exactly where he is going to place the ball, because the rfc player is standing 5 metres away with his arms stretched in the air waving them like an air traffic controller, instead of actually going up to try and affect the possession.

For all those that say that rushing at your opponent makes it easier for them to evade or 'baulk' you, I refer back to MT's post about looking at their hips. Secondly, a team mate could actually come from behind the play and HELP HIS TEAMMATE.

:banghead :banghead :banghead
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Ramps

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 05:33:52 PM »

Hurn Rance Conners

instead we pick up jordy mcmahon. now i dont blame this guy for coming to punt road. i blame miller and the spin doctor for picking this guy up. i dont care how he performs this year, good or bad. IT WAS THE WRONG CHOICE!!
he is another skinny non defensive player we simply did not need. not to mention the fact he has only one foot.
pathetic pick and just another reason why wallace and miller have'nt got a clue.
miller is a loose unit and will continue to recruit the same old stereo type players we have seen for years at Punt Road

Absolutely the wrong choice, and when our supporters see what Selwood does over the next 12 months they're not gonna be a happy bunch.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »

Magic, I think it's partly that, but also that they are taught not to.
As MT says, they corral instead of tackle.

How often do you see a rfc opponent, with the ball on the HFF, take all day to decide exactly where he is going to place the ball, because the rfc player is standing 5 metres away with his arms stretched in the air waving them like an air traffic controller, instead of actually going up to try and affect the possession.

For all those that say that rushing at your opponent makes it easier for them to evade or 'baulk' you, I refer back to MT's post about looking at their hips. Secondly, a team mate could actually come from behind the play and HELP HIS TEAMMATE.

:banghead :banghead :banghead
Well said Magic and DC. We don't work hard enough off the ball for each other when we have the ball. Likewise defensively. It shows up in the stats even as we are last in 1%ers too.

Corralling on the boundary line is especially stupid. If you have your opponent cornered you don't stay off him and give him all the time he wants to spot up a free teammate either inside or upfield :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd