Author Topic: Tackling  (Read 13394 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tackling
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »
I'll say this much if tackling & 1%s do not improve in this outfit by the end of '08 then Wallace should not coach us in '09. >:(

We will not win a premiership until we get better in these areas.

'Coralling'? Just tackle FFS!!!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:45:57 PM »
I'll say this much if tackling & 1%s do not improve in this outfit by the end of '08 then Wallace should not coach us in '09. >:(

agree with u totally. why are we so crap at it?
is the message not getting through? i mean wtf are the players getting taught at training
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »

agree with u totally. why are we so crap at it?
is the message not getting through? i mean wtf are the players getting taught at training
The odd things is there's very little corralling at training yet it sticks out like the proverbial during a game.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Tigermonk

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »
thats probably because there playing against a side thats causing it
corralling is caused by players not running hard enough & not maning up & not backing up
most times its caused by the apple turnover  :lol which we all know we do well
then theres the other thought that comes to mind is it Tanking  :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
Disagree. IMV players corral because they are frightened their opponent will get past them if they attempt to tackle them.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 12:26:27 AM »
It's been a long time since we've seen Tiger players break tackles so easily.

richmondrules

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 03:49:49 PM »

I actually saw tiger players tackling their man and applying pressure last night. Had to look twice several times.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 04:02:08 PM »

Tackling been a bugbear of mine for years - storm have been over to teach the boys and hopefully now maturing into their bodies this will all come to fruition.

It's also called backing urself - don't think do ......

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »
Tackle that sticks is my mind is Johnson's on Judd in the 3rd.
It is called intensity. We were fierce and intense last night. Hopefully we remain that way and don't get overawed against the better sides and go back to corralling them and giving them chances to dispose of the ball. We will never get anywhere if we do not improve our tackling and increase the number of tackles we have averaged over the last few seasons. Was a pleasant sight watching our tackles stick and then watching our lads being able to break the oppositions tackles.

richmondrules

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 04:42:28 PM »
Even if the kicker gets the ball away before the tackle, they do not have the time to weigh and select an option and they can no longer select the moment at which they can release the ball. They stop being able to dictate terms. This is pressure and causes mistakes and turn overs. It's harder work for the defensive side and requires greater fitness and harder bodies but there is no substitute and will win matches. The harder fitter more aggressive side will always win. Our boys appear to be maturing and are becoming able to apply this sort of pressure.

We can apply more pressure than Carlton but can we apply more pressure than Geelong. These teams are at opposite ends of the scale. Last year we were stone cold motherless last in this area without a doubt. Where are we ranked this year?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 09:53:01 PM »
We can apply more pressure than Carlton but can we apply more pressure than Geelong. These teams are at opposite ends of the scale. Last year we were stone cold motherless last in this area without a doubt. Where are we ranked this year?
Still far closer to Carlton than Geelong but I think we'll find over the year we aren't the worst side anymore. Having our players fit helps so they can apply second and third efforts. HT74 is right - it's all about intensity. In the first half we were corralling and there was little pressure from our forwards and that allowed Carlton to just break through the lines. It was just weak and soft until we started to turn it around in the 10 minutes before half-time. In the second half we hunted 1-on-1 and supported each other and our forwards worked hard to keep the ball in our forward line. There was a period in the third quarter where the ball was in our forward line for about 5 minutes. We didn't turn that into a score which was disappointing but the pressure we applied was terrific. IIRC that was when Sugar nailed Judd as HT74 said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »
Anyone want to see the stupidity of corralling just watch the highlights of the Bulldogs-Adelaide game where a Crows player hangs off corralling Brad Johnson and all it does is give Johnson time to steady and kick a goal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tackling and 1%ers
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 08:45:04 PM »
Amazing what happens when a team finally starts applying physical pressure on the opposition compared to our soft efforts when this thread was started. Last week people can say Freo were shocking and slack but today I thought our pressure and tackling was the best it's been in years. It must be a while since we registered more tackles than the opposition. People can still criticize our skill level but the workrate has been excellent the past 2 weeks.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
MT for me personally thats what i enjoyed most today. yes we drew but to see these 1% time and time again was fantastic.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 09:04:43 PM »
Lids tackle on Griffen was an absolute ripper :thumbsup