Author Topic: Tackling  (Read 13414 times)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tackling
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 10:48:23 PM »
Much better today. :clapping

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2008, 09:54:47 AM »
I agree MT. Instead of taking the netball approach by standing there with arms stretched giving the opposition plenty of time to dispose we actually took our chances and went for the man with the ball.  :clapping I'd prefer a player going hard at the man every time rather than every time standing off and attempting to spoil a pass. If we got the reputation that all our players are going to go at the opposition whenever they get the ball it would have to have some impact in the mind of opposition players. Sure a few holes may appear but if we commit and make effective tackles, more often than not I would bet that their diposal would not be clean.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny celebrates side's tackling pressure (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 04:09:37 AM »
Tiger Nathan Brown celebrates side's tackling pressure
Mark Stevens | April 23, 2008

NATHAN Brown may have had trouble reading the scoreboard on Sunday, but he had no problem getting a feel for another set of numbers.

The Richmond forward, who for a moment thought his side had won, at least had a hunch he might be celebrating a rare victory of another kind.

Throughout the clash with the Western Bulldogs, he could sense a seismic shift. The Tigers were tackling and harassing as never before.

"I think you saw that our competitiveness and our tackling pressure and our defensive pursuits in the game was something I've never seen before," Brown said.

"We've always been a side that hasn't tackled or put a lot of pressure on."

Brown said tackling might be the difference between the Tigers being "good" and "ordinary".

And he's on to something.

Richmond won the tackle count 50 to 46 in the thriller at Telstra Dome.

It was the first time the Tigers had won the tackling tussle since Round 10, 2007.

That just happened to produce a draw at the Dome as well -- this time against the Brisbane Lions.

After that game, the Tigers lost 16 tackle counts straight.

But against the Dogs, the Tigers turned ferocious again.

Captain Kane Johnson laid eight tackles, Richard Tambling had six, Jay Schulz four and Chris Newman four.

As a result, the Bulldogs were pressured into errors.

The Dogs could hit the target only 71 per cent of the time. Richmond found the mark 78 per cent of the time.

Who would have thought Richmond, often criticised for poor decision-making and sloppy kicking, would have out-skilled the Dogs?

Under Terry Wallace, Richmond has won the tackle count in only 25 of 71 games.

The Tigers have a tackle count differential of minus 470 under Wallace. That is 140 worse than any other team.

Traditionally, Wallace teams haven't been big on tackling.

In the six completed seasons of Wallace's career covered by Champion Data (2000-2002 at the Bulldogs and 2005-2007 at Richmond), the best one of his teams could do on the tackling ladder was 13th - in 2005.

Some would query why it's so important to be big on tackling.

The cynical view is that if you're tackling, you haven't got the pill.

But premiership teams are generally high on the tackling table. Sydney was first in 2005, West Coast sixth in 2006 and Geelong second last year.

And Wallace has clearly decided enough is enough. If you don't tackle and turn up the pressure, you don't play.

It is a key reason why Joel Bowden, such a valuable set-up player in defence, is still stranded at Coburg.

The four players dropped after the Round 3 shocker against Collingwood did not lay one tackle between them.

There is a correlation between tackling and error rates in the opposition.

The Tigers are still 16th for tackles this year, but the numbers are slightly artificial.

They are lowered by the fact they had only 25 tackles against Fremantle at Subiaco Oval in Round 4.

The Tigers won by 64 points. It ended up being ridiculously easy. The Dockers couldn't get their hands on it to be tackled.

So the key figure for the Tigers this year is the fact they have managed to cut the opposition's average effective disposal rate to 75.8 per cent - only the ninth highest.

In Wallace's first three years at Punt Rd, the opposition's rate of effectiveness was about 80 per cent.

Put simply, the enemy was winning it too easily and using it cleanly without enough pressure.

But Wallace has turned the pressure up.

He's decided it's time to delve into the tackle box.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23582748-19742,00.html

richmondrules

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »

Do you think it may have sunk into their thick skulls? Boy do I hope so. Kudos to TW for being able to change his style if its true, though blind Freddy could have seen what was needed. Can't count how many time tackling and pressure has been brought up by simple supporters on these forums. Better late than never.

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 07:05:19 AM »

Do you think it may have sunk into their thick skulls? Boy do I hope so. Kudos to TW for being able to change his style if its true, though blind Freddy could have seen what was needed. Can't count how many time tackling and pressure has been brought up by simple supporters on these forums. Better late than never.

and by some clever ones as well.

:lol

richmondrules

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 07:05:57 AM »

and by some clever ones as well.

:lol

lol. I can only speak for myself.  ;)  :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2008, 10:16:49 AM »
Our pressure and tackling were the most pleasing aspects of Sundays game IMO.
Must maintain that intensity every week.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15:55 AM »
Our pressure and tackling were the most pleasing aspects of Sundays game IMO.
Must maintain that intensity every week.

yep forget about the score, goals and any other stuff like that.

our tackling really set the game up for us. i expect to see that every week and my question to wallace is why now??
why didnt he instill that into joel and others last year.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

richmondrules

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2008, 11:56:04 AM »
i expect to see that every week and my question to wallace is why now??

A question you will probably never get a satisfactory answer to. Don't really care about the answer myself as long as they have finally got the message and, as you say, we see the same each and every week.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2008, 08:07:53 PM »

A question you will probably never get a satisfactory answer to. Don't really care about the answer myself as long as they have finally got the message and, as you say, we see the same each and every week.
Geelong has made everyone else change their ways of thinking from that over-possession style of the Swans that was a cure for insomnia. Good to see those in charge can change which is something Spud never could do. Footy played now is the best it's been in years and the style we've played over the past 2 weeks is great to watch. The hard tacklng and pressure is also something that will stack up in finals when we finally get there in the next few years.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2008, 08:16:35 PM »

Geelong has made everyone else change their ways of thinking from that over-possession style of the Swans that was a cure for insomnia. Good to see those in charge can change which is something Spud never could do. Footy played now is the best it's been in years and the style we've played over the past 2 weeks is great to watch. The hard tacklng and pressure is also something that will stack up in finals when we finally get there in the next few years.

Yep we are back to the glory days of the mid 90's when football was at its best with blokes of the ilk of Carey Lockett Ablett Dunstall turning it on week by week and none of this flooding crap that has put the game in disrepute. Fast moving hard tackling physical footy is what we want to see and its fantastic we have been playing it the last 2 weeks. :thumbsup
Hopefully this continues and we can finally kiss goodbye 120 minutes of that bullskata tempo footy.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2008, 09:41:30 PM »

Yep we are back to the glory days of the mid 90's when football was at its best with blokes of the ilk of Carey Lockett Ablett Dunstall turning it on week by week and none of this flooding crap that has put the game in disrepute. Fast moving hard tackling physical footy is what we want to see and its fantastic we have been playing it the last 2 weeks. :thumbsup
Hopefully this continues and we can finally kiss goodbye 120 minutes of that bullskata tempo footy.
We only now need to give AA and his rules committee the flick and we'll be in nirvana  :thumbsup. The game thankfully evolved naturally and sorted itself out before these clowns brought in any more stupid interpretations and rules.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 07:07:40 AM »
I like this photo and caption.  :thumbsup

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 01:22:33 PM »
Yep that's a great photo RROFO.

Would still like to see Deledio lift his tackle count considerably though.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 03:11:49 PM »
Lids has big arms for a boy that was 20 yoa last week. Gunna end up a big unit.