Author Topic: Yeah or Neah - 32. Greg Tivendale  (Read 2184 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Yeah or Neah - 32. Greg Tivendale
« on: August 15, 2004, 04:31:33 PM »
As the season is now about judging who stays or goes at the end of the year, thought we might have a look at each player who is on a knife's edge and get opinions until the end of the season.

What should happen to Tivs. Should he be kept and see how he goes under Terry or should we offload him.

He's got a long raking left foot kick and normally quite a good one too and a top coach would use him both forward to run in to 50-60m from goal and take long shots as well as back as he has been used the past couple of weeks to generate run out of our backline. However IMHO opposition players and coaches know he only has a left hand side and catch him out on his non-existent right side so he has to crab sideways and then wheel around which gives extra time for the opposition to flood back. I wouldn't be be surprised if he was traded as of all our potential tradeworthy players, Tivs would attract plenty of interest and we should receive a decent pick(s) in return for him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: Yeah or Neah - 32. Greg Tivendale
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 05:03:43 PM »
I like him and think he should stay....

He was nicknamed soft**** by us (softie these days) and has had a shocking season no doubt, but I thought his last two years have been good, one of our better players and offers enough to warrant a spot. A LONG LONG list before him to go.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 05:13:48 PM »
Keep. We couldn't get F all for him with a trade after the season he has had. He is good enough to be in our top 22 so rather than be ars-ed he should be retained.

We were stupid enough to keep him after producing one good year (after god knows how many failed ones), thinking that he would maintain that form. Much like Joel Bowden we should be looking to offload these guys whilst they have some market value, not once they have proved to us for the upteenth time that they are duds. If Miller has any brains he will look to trade Bowden at year's end.

It's a pity Kayne Pettifer got injured, I would have loved to see us trade him as well.

Jackstar

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 05:26:17 PM »
The opposition players love playing on him as they reckon he is so soft.
Apparently the really get into his ear :shh

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 05:30:24 PM »
I was one of those who thought he would develop some consistency and be a good long-term player  :-\, but At 25 and having played around 120 games, you would expect more than one really good, consistent season in about five.

One of those players who you think could be very damaging in a good team and we know can struggle in a poor performing one.  Seems to have more quiet days than effective games.  As a leader, hasn’t really stood up this year, but he’s not alone there.  Apart from being a skilful player, hasn’t really shown any other characteristics that say he must stay.

Look to trade if the right deal comes along.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 05:31:15 PM »
After listening to Wallace the past few weeks and Miller last night on club snorener I would be extremely nervous if I was a one-sided left footer on Richmond's list come trade time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 05:37:04 PM »
After listening to Wallace the past few weeks and Miller last night on club snorener I would be extremely nervous if I was a one-sided left footer on Richmond's list come trade time.

Beat me to it MT.  I just posted a similar thing on the "Out of Contract" thread. :thumbsup
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 05:44:58 PM »

Beat me to it MT.  I just posted a similar thing on the "Out of Contract" thread. :thumbsup

Great minds think alike TS  :thumbsup

lol @ me - a one-sided left footer  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 08:56:23 AM »
As a left footer - I'd keep. He does manage to hit Richo on the chest on occassions (probably 70%)  :help

I can think a number of other lefter footers I'd trade before Tivva. ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline shano62

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 12:20:46 PM »
TRADE Him Here as been 4 or 5 yrs now here so soft plus here turns it over all the time What about M Chaffey trade him to here cannot kick here turns it over all the time to  :banghead They make me so bloody mad every week

Bulluss

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 04:30:11 PM »
I would think that with Tiv not be able to finish in the top 10 of the Best and Fairest this season, he will CERTAINLY be put up for a trade this season and see what other clubs are prepared to put up for him.

Hey Jackstar, was Tivva hiding behind his chair last night?

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 04:57:18 PM »
In these modern times where running, carrying the ball and long, accurate, penetrating kicking is so valuable, one would think that Tivendale has alot to offer a team that is coached and drilled properly.

Yes he is a receiver but receivers have a valuable role to play - just look at Nigel Lappin for example. Cut off Nigels supply and he would go missing aswell.

Tivendales value to the team might not be his hardness and his in and under work, but if he is being fed properly he would be very damaging - no-one in the team can carry and use the ball as good as Tivendale can.

Cut off his supply and he goes missing.  I agree.  But along with hard ball winners, you also need good ball users.

Coughlan's strength's are his ball getting ability.  But you can easily argue that his weaknesses are his ball use.  He is pretty slow with the ball in his hands, rarely bursts packs and is a scrappy floating kick at best.  But his value to the team cannot be under-estimated.

You need both type of players because it's very hard to find a player that is great in both areas.  Voss is probably the only one that stands out as such player. 

Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Jackstar

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 08:56:57 PM »
Hey Bully, he actually was hiding behind the chair in the right hand corner as he was on crutches.
I thought that it was a nice touch by Greg to have a soft perm put through his hair recently, i am not joking either