Author Topic: Wallace wants 24 player teams  (Read 4281 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Wallace wants 24 player teams
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:38:24 PM »
In the Age tomorrow - Wallace wants 24 player teams
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Wallace wants 24 player teams
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 11:49:32 PM »
Deflection

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:58:08 PM »
i think there should be 6 on the interchange and keep the 3 emergency's

24 playing and 27 squad

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »
what a freakin nutcase he cant even control 22 hows he going to control a extra 24  :rollin

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Wallace wants 24-player teams (The Age)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 03:36:48 AM »
Wallace wants 24-player teams
Caroline Wilson | April 1, 2008

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has revealed his radical proposal to deal with the rotational revolution, which would allow teams to field up to two emergencies a game, increasing the number of players to 24.

In a paper Wallace plans to present to the AFL this month, the Tigers' coach will argue that the use of interchange players has transformed to the degree that football matches have become contests between two teams of 22 players.

"If you lose two blokes before half-time you just don't win the game," Wallace told The Age last night.

"If you lose one you are far less likely to win the game and what we want to see is an even contest.

"I'm really quite passionate about it because I don't like to see a game impacted because somebody's got hurt," he said.

Wallace was initially unwilling to reveal details of his paper when contacted last night but admitted he had been working on his presentation for some weeks and had planned to go through official AFL channels before making his proposal public.

Under the Wallace plan, teams would name 22 players along with two emergencies who could take the field if one of the original 22 was taken from the ground for the remainder of the match.

His plan received cautious support last night from Brisbane Lions coach Leigh Matthews, who spoke after the Lions' clash with Collingwood about the Magpies' number of interchange rotations. Collingwood used a record 110 interchanges during the game.

"I'm not saying I'm pushing for change but I think the discussion's worth having," said Matthews. "It's 22 players versus 22 and if you lose a player for the match through injury then it becomes 22 versus 21 and you are at a distinct disadvantage," he added.

Wallace has suggested a red-card system whereby a player was permanently removed from the field. Under his proposal the removal would not necessarily have to be through injury because — as Wallace and Matthews agreed — the system could be too easily manipulated.

"It would add another interesting, colourful aspect to the game in my view and would create another talking point," Wallace said.

"The discussion could be over whether you put a key tall in as an emergency or a couple of good runners.

"The way we are moving at the moment we have to look at a solution in one of two ways. Either we restrict the interchange or you don't allow the interchange to completely change the shape of the game and the result.

"Look at round one. Collingwood versus Fremantle and Fremantle lose Heath Black, who is crucial to their midfield, and by losing him they lose 25% of their rotational ability.

"We played Sydney in a practice game in the pre-season and we lost Troy Simmonds and (Jay) Schulz and (Graham) Polak but we had six or seven on the interchange bench and we managed to win. We would have lost that game under the current rules."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/wallace-wants-24player-teams/2008/03/31/1206850812583.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 03:38:38 AM »
Wallace wants injury interchange
Greg Denham | April 01, 2008 | The Australian

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace has thrown his support behind additional interchange players as player rotations have hit an all-time high.

Wallace is keen for the introduction of emergencies who can take to the field to cover injuries should the AFL restrict the use of the interchange bench, which was controversially trialled during this year's NAB Cup.

The Tigers coach wants an additional two players on standby to be able to replace injured players who cannot continue in the game.

Wallace said statistics last season revealed that clubs which lost players through injury, particularly in the first half of games, were severely disadvantaged and lost more times than they won.

He is not in favour of restricting the number of interchange rotations coaches are allowed, which was capped at 16 per quarter, including changes made at the breaks, during the pre-season.

Wallace pointed to an example of two of his players colliding so badly that they could not continue in the match, severely depleting the recovery of others by leaving just two fit players on the bench.

He has received support from four-time premiership coach Leigh Matthews, who last week told The Australian the interchange system could be tinkered with to assist clubs which lost players due to injury.

Matthews admitted to being hamstrung in the opening round against West Coast when an injured Jed Adcock took no part in the second half. Brisbane lost in hot conditions in Perth when it rotated its players just 57 times to the Eagles' 78.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23463093-2722,00.html

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:14:49 AM »
not a bad idea

richmondrules

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:33:23 AM »
Sounds a reasonable idea. It won't fly with the AFL though these things never do if they don't think of them themselves, especially if it comes from a coach.

I must admit my first reaction to this was perhaps Terry should spend his time thinking about how to motivate our boys and get the skills right. I appreciate he is thinking about the game but this could be seen as a side issue to his main job with the RFC. Maybe how to beat Collingwood is a better use of his time.

Don't let this distract you Terry. It's us poor supporters on these boards who have to wade through mountains of crap because the teams doing no good. Please don't add fuel to the fire. lol.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 07:37:37 AM »
it wont work for the afl because its not sheedy or collingwood presenting the idea

richmondrules

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 07:40:28 AM »
it wont work for the afl because its not sheedy or collingwood presenting the idea

lol. McGuire and his contacts are the only reason Malthouse is taken at all seriously.

Little Jackie

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 09:03:02 AM »
One thing about Wallet that he is good at, DEFLECTION .
He is very aware that the knifes are being sharpened and the best way he knows is to deflect, please Terry ,24 ::) :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:12:04 AM »
I think the idea has merit. I don't think its a deflection strategy as he has reportedly been working on the idea for weeks but who knows?!

I actually like the idea of 4 players on the bench but 2 of them are emergencies rather than 6 and 2 as Terry is suggesting. This would reduce the flood as players would be more tired as the game progresses and prehaps force coaches to place players into more traditional positions during the game rather than having every player in one half of the ground at any one time which ends up looking like a little league game.

I like the idea of emergencies. They add an extra dimension to soccer and would do a similiar thing to our game but as RROFO said - it won't happen because its not a Sheedy or Collywobble idea. :(

Stripes

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 02:13:58 PM »
he said during his interview he had been developing the idea over the last few weeks. maybe a bit more effort in coaching the team terry might have improved sunday's result.!!!!!!!!

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »
Deflection

I dont think so.

Melbourne are keeping us out of the papers just fine.

If it was deflection he could pick a much better time to come out with it.

i.e. in a couple of weeks when we face the Saints and Cats in consecutive weeks.  :help
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »
Wallace also said in Tuesdays with Terry that he now delegates the interchange changes to an assistant coach. Plough also said he knows he'll cop criticism for coming out with this as coach of the reigning wooden spooners.

Malthouse liked the idea and said Terry is a man of ideas who thinks about the game's best interests. Malthouse also said he'd go one step further and have 6-8 on the bench like in the NAB Cup.