Author Topic: Ben Holland suing RFC and Clinton Casey for half a million  (Read 20517 times)

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Holland suing RFC and Clinton Casey for half a million
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2008, 10:47:55 PM »
I dont think that Holland has a leg to stand on in this case.

There is no written confirmation of what is alleged to have taken place, no doubting that it probably did but i think Holland has been screwed by Casey. He wouldnt be the first and wont be the last. Its his fault for not involving his manager.

Bend over and take it where the sun dont shine Benny Boy  :lol

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2008, 01:04:30 AM »
the timing of holland leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

its just came at a time when his career is all but over.

he needs to understand that every club does it but he is the idiot who doesn't have the proof in writing.

he is a tool in my book, stuff him

yeah casey said this case said that. well show us the proof.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2008, 01:52:49 AM »

I voted against them because I didnt want Miller on the board because he is a dud, was a dud at North and nearly bankrupted them as interim CEO, and as our player development has shown since Miller, we have a crap list.

Only your opinion on Miller rather than fact.  :sleep

I got one piece of good info out of that. I've always wondered who the 199 people that voted for Brian Dungey were. Only 198 more to go.

Wouldnt matter to you if Ronald McDonald was running the club. You're an apologist no matter how many wooden spoons we rack up.

You said the same apologies for Danny Frawley that you now make for Miller. You prpbaly still think he was a good bloke that didnt deserve to ger sacked

If it were just my opinion Miller is a dud, why has March reduced his responsibilities?

Because our list hasnt developed on par with other clubs under Miller's tenure.

Voting for him was a disaster. At least the nobodies would not have meddled in player recriuitment and development.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2008, 01:59:42 AM »

For what is worth, I voted for the current board and am now spewing that I did :chuck
If I knew what I know now, never in a ""milllion years "" would I have voted for them

Like what?

Like Hawthorn are a top 4 side and may play in a GF this year.

Is that not enough for you?

Or are you happy with the current timeline of your grandkids watching the next Richmond premiership?

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »
have no hesitation in saying I voted for the Casey ticket as the alternative was... well it wasn't a credible alternative IMV

BTW The current board is the Casey ticket minus Casey ;D and they have done a great job in the last couple of years ... dare I say it ....FACT  :rollin

Its a fact when there is a premiership cup in the cupboard. Not wooden spoons.

Its disingenuous to say you voted for the current board. You voted for Casey and Miller, both of whom are entirely discredited

Come on MT, put your hand up
Like WP I don't sway away from voting for the Casey ticket. Seriously the Big 4 ticket challenge or whatever it was called was a joke. They wanted to take us back to 1999  :help. I'm comfortable with my choice given the stability, long-term planning including improved and more facilities, and sound financial progress which hadn't existed at Punt Rd for 25 years prior to 2005. Sure this improved off-field position hasn't transferred to on-field yet but it was always going to be a long-haul going down the youth path from where we were.

And I did vote for the entire board. Although there were two 9 person tickets, we all could vote for individual candidates. 8 of those 9 are still there and Penny Haines >>> Casey. There's been no challenges (anyone would be silly challenging a $1 million profit).

Those who voted for the other ticket should also put their hand up for supporting Schwab and co who were also on the board along with Casey when these idiotic decisions were made.

Didnt Schwab and co resign from the board because idiotic decision were being made, were made by Casey without board approval?

Yes.

Casey was doing deals, running the club on his own, and ignoring the board. Deals like the one Holland is suing about.

I voted against them because I didnt want Miller on the board because he is a dud, was a dud at North and nearly bankrupted them as interim CEO, and as our player development has shown since Miller, we have a crap list.

And you cant sack him now he is on the board. 

Miller as football director has loaded our player list full of non starters like Meyer, and nobodies like JON, and now the talk is about 2011 thanks to this tool.

That was their excuse but Schwab and Welsh were on the board for what 5 years. IIRC Schwab was in his 6th year. It doesn't take 5 years to figure out how someone else operates. They also were on the board that approved the large contract boosts for Holland and Gas at the end of 2001 so they aren't innocent either as far as poor decisions go or did they sit on the board doing nothing for 5 years. Then they ran. Glad them and Casey are all gone.

Miller could have been challenged for his spot on the board at the end of last year as his 3-year term was up. So he could have been tossed off. However nobody did challenge. 

Yep. A good thing that they're all gone.

Except for Miller. And he needs to be called on setting us backwards in the footy dept.

Surely by now its accepted even on this board that at best he is not the savior everyone thought he'd be, and at worst he set the club list back even further in that all of a sudden JON and Meyer will have us playing good footy in 2011

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2008, 02:08:46 AM »
i actually agree with Ben Holland , reckon he has case , knowing what goes on at footballl clubs

of course you do.

you have a lot in common ;)
You wouldnt know, pointless arguing with an imbecile like you Blaisee
imbecile?

At least I am not a deadset liar. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Holland's cautionary tale - Caro (The Age)
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2008, 03:34:26 AM »
Holland's cautionary tale
Caroline Wilson | April 6, 2008 | The Age

BEN Holland, in the words of his manager, is a player spurned. In the eyes of some members of the media, he could prove the missing link to alleged subtle and systematic salary-cap cheating at Richmond during Clinton Casey's presidency.

But on all of the evidence presented to date, surely there is also a very strong case arguing that Ben Holland is a bitter footballer nearing the end of his career and demanding money for next to nothing?

Holland has presented himself as a cautionary tale. Having sued his former president Casey and former club Richmond for $530,000, his case should send a warning not to footballers who settle for significantly less money to stay at their club but instead to players who believe they will succeed in business or anything involving finances simply because they are a footballer.

Casey clearly made undertakings to Holland. According to the player, he was "going to be like a financial planner". You would hope for Holland's sake that the notes he took after that coffee at Koko restaurant at Crown and the subsequent letter Casey sent him provided more concrete monetary promises than that.

Richmond, as it turns out, could have been a frontrunner among AFL clubs in making available share and property packages, some which have proved successful for players and some which have not. But the AFL investigated those deals and cleared them, just as they have cleared Chris Judd's third-party deal with Carlton president Dick Pratt.

Remember when Tony Lockett retired and believed he had been promised a massive lump of retirement money from the AFL as part of his Sydney contract? And then when the AFL actually demanded he do some significant ambassadorial work for the money, Lockett spat the dummy and became bitter and twisted with the game?

It is true that Holland was promised podiatry opportunities via Casey but that they never amounted to much does not seem to be Casey's fault. The player worked briefly as a podiatrist in one of Casey's aged-care facilities but it was not a job he was keen to continue, given that he worked for a brief period of time, earning only $4000.

In fact, it is staggering to believe that Holland has chosen to say some embarrassing things. He was quoted in The Australian yesterday bleating: "Other players got parcels of land at Sandhurst. I wanted to get involved but it never eventuated. Nothing ever happened."

Our memory of those land sales is that plenty of potential buyers, including some Richmond players and officials, turned up on the day they became available and purchased accordingly. Did Holland expect his financial mentor Casey would drive him there or even buy the land for him with Casey's cash?

Certainly, if Casey promised the latter, then both he and Richmond are in a great deal of trouble. But the AFL, the players' association and Griffin all deny a salary cap issue at this stage.

No, this ageing player's story reeks of yet another footballer who has failed to take responsibility for bad decisions, injury and his subsequent struggles with form.

If the basis of Holland's case is as it appears — that Casey promised to identify business opportunities and did not — then his claim looms as a tough one to prove because it takes two to tango.

Hopefully, for Holland's sake, he is not simply another player, despite all of the off-field opportunities provided nowadays from the players' union via the AFL, who struggles to pay his own bills.

Holland's gripe from this recent passage of football history offers a cautionary lesson, too, for all clubs and specifically Richmond — not that the Tigers need to be told again — about the mistakes a club can make when it believes it is on the brink of greatness.

Richmond finished third in 2001 but was smashed by both grand finalists Essendon and Brisbane Lions during September, particularly in the midfield at the Gabba. Rather than concede it had gone as far as it could with that group of players, it took short cuts, picking up the likes of Paul Hudson and Greg Stafford — albeit in exchange for Nick Daffy and some cash.

One reason Ben Holland never made it to Adelaide is because the Kane Johnson trade — where Richmond was to receive Johnson a year earlier than it eventually did along with at least one draft pick — fell through when Johnson significantly lifted his price at the death-knell. So Holland would have had to place himself at the mercy of the pre-season draft.

Brendon Gale, who will now try to resolve his old teammate's issue via the association's grievance procedure, left the Tigers in some bitterness because the money going to players like Holland had squeezed him out financially. Paul Broderick also retired that year.

Gale's bitterness was short-lived but the loss of those two club leaders was another nail in the coaching career of Danny Frawley and the leadership at Richmond has never truly recovered.

And Gale? He is just another in a long list of Tigers who remains a successful player in the football world but no longer at Tigerland.

Richmond looks likely to survive allegations of salary-cap rorting but it would do well to take some extra wisdom from this unsavoury story.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/hollands-cautionary-tale/2008/04/05/1207249552448.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2008, 04:22:51 AM »

Only your opinion on Miller rather than fact.  :sleep

I got one piece of good info out of that. I've always wondered who the 199 people that voted for Brian Dungey were. Only 198 more to go.

Wouldnt matter to you if Ronald McDonald was running the club.

On the contrary, it seems it wouldn't matter to you if Ronald McDonald was running the club when you'd vote for Brian Dungey over the likes of Rob Dalton and Maurice O'Shannassy with the profile information available at the time. And just because you don't like Greg Miller.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2008, 05:09:27 AM »

For what is worth, I voted for the current board and am now spewing that I did :chuck
If I knew what I know now, never in a ""milllion years "" would I have voted for them

Like what?

Or are you happy with the current timeline of your grandkids watching the next Richmond premiership?

You must be confused.
The Richmond board have nothing to do with Hawthorn and you're not Jackstar.  :)

Jackstar, I'm interested in finding out what you know now that makes you regret voting for the current board.

Little Jackie

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2008, 08:15:07 AM »

Like what?

You must be confused.
The Richmond board have nothing to do with Hawthorn and you're not Jackstar.  :)

Jackstar, I'm interested in finding out what you know now that makes you regret voting for the current board.

Point 1/ couldnt see the point  leaving Frawley go on for so long, as he did . bad move, stability ? CRAP
Point 2/  Amazed that they have given Wallace a 5 year contract on what ?? Terry has turned the club to a "" mates " club.   How on earth do you explain Wayne Johnston getting the job as the runner, seriously :banghead  Monkhurst over Steve Alessio ?? Steve was there for 3 years and got moved sideways for Monkey, please. Its no secret that Wallet and Monkey are good friend outside footy.  Jim Jess put his hand up to help out at Punt road, Wallet still hasnt returned his call, FACT.
Point 3/ At least the alternative ticket at the time had "" footy people"" involved. Unfortunately the current board tookm advice from Greg Miller on football matters. Wouldnt think the rest of the board would have much idea on whats going on "" footy wise "" Especially when are long serving board member stated last week that we had WON 3 of our last 5 games, he was including the practice matches against Melb and Swans, I peeed my self, could this bloke be for real  :banghead

Point 4/ The recuiting over the past 3 years has been extremely poor, I am sick and tired of posters on here sticking up for the club as saying , oh they will get better as the get older, they must not watch other clubs as all clubs introduce first year players who do have immmediate impact,  If Miller has  anything to do with the recuiting at RFC, we are in trouble, he hasnt got much idea I am afraid.  he hangs his hat on Wayne Carey, big deal.  Hawks recuiting has been excellent.
We recuit a dual Under 18,s best and fairest who are senior coach cannnot get tom play well, goes to Port and guess what  :banghead

Point 5. There is an unhealthy friendship between current President and Coach. I dont think that you would see the president giving the coach advice at half time during a game at any other club, yes, it has happened.  Would think if Wallet goes, march goes as well, Way too friendly for my liking

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »

Point 1/ couldnt see the point  leaving Frawley go on for so long, as he did . bad move, stability ? CRAP
Point 2/  Amazed that they have given Wallace a 5 year contract on what ?? Terry has turned the club to a "" mates " club.   How on earth do you explain Wayne Johnston getting the job as the runner, seriously :banghead  Monkhurst over Steve Alessio ?? Steve was there for 3 years and got moved sideways for Monkey, please. Its no secret that Wallet and Monkey are good friend outside footy.  Jim Jess put his hand up to help out at Punt road, Wallet still hasnt returned his call, FACT.
Point 3/ At least the alternative ticket at the time had "" footy people"" involved. Unfortunately the current board tookm advice from Greg Miller on football matters. Wouldnt think the rest of the board would have much idea on whats going on "" footy wise "" Especially when are long serving board member stated last week that we had WON 3 of our last 5 games, he was including the practice matches against Melb and Swans, I peeed my self, could this bloke be for real  :banghead

Point 4/ The recuiting over the past 3 years has been extremely poor, I am sick and tired of posters on here sticking up for the club as saying , oh they will get better as the get older, they must not watch other clubs as all clubs introduce first year players who do have immmediate impact,  If Miller has  anything to do with the recuiting at RFC, we are in trouble, he hasnt got much idea I am afraid.  he hangs his hat on Wayne Carey, big deal.  Hawks recuiting has been excellent.
We recuit a dual Under 18,s best and fairest who are senior coach cannnot get tom play well, goes to Port and guess what  :banghead

Point 5. There is an unhealthy friendship between current President and Coach. I dont think that you would see the president giving the coach advice at half time during a game at any other club, yes, it has happened.  Would think if Wallet goes, march goes as well, Way too friendly for my liking
Point 1 - You knew about this before you voted for the current board, not since.  ???
Frawley was gone.

Point 2 - You knew about this before you voted for the current board, not since.  ???
Wallace already was hired for 5 years.

Point 3 - You knew about this before you voted for the current board, not since.  ???
It was clear who was running for each ticket.

Point 4 - You knew Miller was involved in recruiting and the football department when you voted.  ???
It was all the talk at the time.
Yep, his actual recruiting in the last 3 years wasn't known then.  :) Fair enough if that is a reason. Not that I agree.

Point 5 - Yep, that's something you didn't know then that you do now.  :)
Only your opinion that there is an unhealthy friendship between the coach and president but fair enough if that is a reason.

So, that covers what you now know about Miller's recruiting and March's relationship with Wallace since voting the whole board.
What about the others? Would you have not voted for them now you know this?
Does the financial turnaround of the club since the election come in for your consideration anywhere in your spewing about voting for the current board?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 09:00:14 AM by Fishfinger »

Little Jackie

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »
Its wasnt as transparent then as it is now.
Miller has been involved for how many years.?
If the new board did get in, there was a clause Re Wallet ,might find in regards to current contract?

Also the current board s blinded due to the Miller factor.
The longer Miller is there the more cracks apppear I am afraid.

As for the relationship between , Coach and President, wouldnt see Jeff Kennett or Frank Costa in the rooms at half time talking to the coach ,would you ? WTF

Little Jackie

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2008, 09:00:04 AM »
i actually agree with Ben Holland , reckon he has case , knowing what goes on at footballl clubs

of course you do.

you have a lot in common ;)
You wouldnt know, pointless arguing with an imbecile like you Blaisee
imbecile?

At least I am not a deadset liar. :thumbsup

Well I arent either, Glad to see you have admitted your an imbecile. I hope the mediaction and treatments have some positive affect on your illness there Blaisee. Lets hope you can get to attend a few games later on in the year. All the best and get well soon you imbecile. :thumbsup

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2008, 09:01:57 AM »

Like what?
[/quote]

[/quote]

How on earth do you explain Wayne Johnston getting the job as the runner, seriously :banghead  Monkhurst over Steve Alessio ?? Steve was there for 3 years and got moved sideways for Monkey, please. Its no secret that Wallet and Monkey are good friend outside footy.  Jim Jess put his hand up to help out at Punt road, Wallet still hasnt returned his call, FACT.

very interesting points jack. so true my friend.
if u had to judge us on our recruiting, you say its been nothing short of pathetic. i see only one superstar and one really good player in the making.
foley and king.
lids was a given at pick 1 so i wont include him and tambling. look im sorry i dont see it yet. ill decide in 6 months time.

the rest i see sugar as a waste of time, tuck as average, raines as below average. reiwvoldt i see as a mistake. JON i wont even bother commenting cause its a waste of my time. meyer. list goes on.
just once i want to see us pick up a defender at pick 70 who turns out to be a gun. every other team seems to find them while we seem to find all the duds.

it just baffles me how some of u on here actually defend  miller.
miller is poo. what has he found for us. ill tell u nothing!!

ill be so glad to get rid of this tool who has brought this club to the bottom again

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Little Jackie

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2008, 09:07:08 AM »

Point 1 - You knew about this before you voted for the current board, not since.  ???
Frawley was gone.

Point 2 - You knew about this before you voted for the current board, not since.  ???
Wallace already was hired for 5 years.

Point 3 - You knew about this before you voted for the current board, not since.  ???
It was clear who was running for each ticket.

Point 4 - You knew Miller was involved in recruiting and the football department when you voted.  ???
It was all the talk at the time.
Yep, his actual recruiting in the last 3 years wasn't known then.  :) Fair enough if that is a reason. Not that I agree.

Point 5 - Yep, that's something you didn't know then that you do now.  :)
Only your opinion that there is an unhealthy friendship between the coach and president but fair enough if that is a reason.

So, that covers what you now know about Miller's recruiting and March's relationship with Wallace since voting the whole board.
What about the others? Would you have not voted for them now you know this?
Does the financial turnaround of the club since the election come in for your consideration anywhere in your spewing about voting for the current board?

Your better off Private messaging me.
Not going to post on here, takes too long and I am willing to tell you everything :thumbsup