Author Topic: Frawley still working, hurting  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Frawley still working, hurting
« on: August 19, 2004, 11:59:18 AM »
Frawley still working, hurting
By Martin Blake
August 19, 2004

Danny Frawley came out on to Punt Road Oval chirping last night, as though nothing had happened in the past few weeks, goading his assistant Darren Crocker and smiling as he put the Tigers through their main training session of the week.

Frawley is a master of the brave face. Although he is not doing any media this week, Crocker said it was all systems go.

"Danny's been tremendous right through the nine weeks and right through this losing streak. We've been searching to challenge the players and he's been very upbeat and I don't think anyone's dropped away at all."

What this indicates is that Frawley has managed to hold his professionalism and keep the veneer up in circumstances that are virtually unique: the fact that his replacement for 2005 and beyond is already known, and that Terry Wallace is already out there in the public domain before the season has ended and before Frawley's time is officially done.

Frawley and the Western Bulldogs' Peter Rohde chose to continue coaching their clubs after it became known they would be replaced. Probably it was out of loyalty to their playing group, and perhaps because of professional pride and the need to be seen as not quitting.

But in hindsight, they might well realise that this was a mistake. Certainly it is a mistake Gary Ayres did not make, having been around the coaching game a little longer. And it is a mistake that Peter Schwab quickly corrected after his first week after Hawthorn opted to cut him.

A source close to Frawley said this week that far from the knockabout public persona, the Richmond coach had been decimated by the events of last week, when Wallace was paraded in the media by Richmond to sell the club's new direction.

Frawley was told the news on the morning of Wallace's appointment, and bears no malice to Wallace.
But according to the source, the appearance of Wallace in virtually every media outlet over the next few days accentuated the feeling of humiliation he has suffered.

Fortunately, Wallace has voluntarily moved into the background again now, or into as quiet a corner as you can go when you have regular media gigs to fulfil.

No such luck for Rohde, who is in the midst of enduring a few more days of Rodney Eade selling his vision for the Bulldogs' future while Rohde tries to coach the team.

Eade has said he is mindful of this, which is appropriate. Hopefully he finds a way to limit his media interviews for another week as well.

Rohde, Frawley and Schwab sat down and had breakfast together recently to talk about their admission to that exclusive club for sacked coaches.
They might have pondered that coaching's a tough business, no doubt, when you're in it. And maybe even tougher when it's time to go.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/08/18/1092765011750.html?oneclick=true
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Frawley still working, hurting
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 12:00:39 PM »
A source close to Frawley said this week that far from the knockabout public persona, the Richmond coach had been decimated by the events of last week, when Wallace was paraded in the media by Richmond to sell the club's new direction.

Frawley was told the news on the morning of Wallace's appointment, and bears no malice to Wallace.
But according to the source, the appearance of Wallace in virtually every media outlet over the next few days accentuated the feeling of humiliation he has suffered.

This is not Danny making any comments here and I doubt he would.  Can understand though if he or anyone felt humiliated in such a situation.  But if any Coach resigns part way through a season and then chooses to stay on, he has to know that his club is obligated to find the next Coach.  How events unfold can take on a life of their own.

Ayres and Schwab chose not to put themselves in that situation and moved on quickly.

From what Greg Miller has said, RFC has been respectful towards Danny the whole way through.  And, under the circumstances, I don’t think any Club could do any more to help him see out his contract in a dignified manner.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

froars

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 12:21:12 PM »
Whether to stay or go depends on the individual IMO - would understand either way a person decides.
Ego has a lot to do with it too - and I don't think Spud is an ego-type person as much as some others, and might just prefer to finish his contract in full. He's obviously enjoyed his stay at the club - despite no success - otherwise he would have walked at the first opportunity.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 05:13:35 PM »

Let me think about this.

On the one hand, he feels humilated by coaching the team when the new coach has been announced

On the other hand, he's been coach of the team when they won a total of 7games 2002, 7 games 2003, 4 games 2004.

I know which of the 2 I'd be more humiliated about!!!

He doesnt know what it means to feel humilated. He's been humiliated his whole stuffn career. He's used to being a loser, and feeling humilated. He doesnt know what its like not to be humiliated.

He is a humiliation.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 05:40:38 PM »

Let me think about this.

On the one hand, he feels humilated by coaching the team when the new coach has been announced

On the other hand, he's been coach of the team when they won a total of 7games 2002, 7 games 2003, 4 games 2004.

I know which of the 2 I'd be more humiliated about!!!

He doesnt know what it means to feel humilated. He's been humiliated his whole stuffn career. He's used to being a loser, and feeling humilated. He doesnt know what its like not to be humiliated.

He is a humiliation.

:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow Top post........
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Ox

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 02:40:12 AM »
This imbecile has nobody to point the finger at but himself but that wont happen
because

a) He's to stupid to realise that he's a natural born loser

b)He prides himself on "proving people wrong"

c)He will never realise the full extent of his shortcoming as coach because he still thinks if he had another 5 years he would have the team playing in a GF.

d)His wife still cleans up after he opts to hide from the media

No Wukkin Forries :thumbsup

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

L-O-S-E-R !
Get him the stuff out of the place

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 02:44:49 AM »
I wouldn't be at all concerned if he ended up in Jeffrey Dahmer's freezer.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 02:41:28 PM »
ROFLMFAOOooooooo jake,  :rollin  :lol :rollin  :rollin  :lol  ;D

Bulluss

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 10:03:41 PM »
Has no grounds to complain, stuffed up after 2001 and thought we were in with a shot.

As already posted, Frawley is and always will have a losing/battler mentality.

Nothing can change that and we will be a better place once he is gone.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 12:32:08 AM »
Right to the end Danny is demonstrating why he failed as a coach. Sticking by senior players who have failed him in the past and continue to fail him at the expense of bringing in and developing a large number of young talent.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »
STILL lmao

letsgetiton!

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »
STILL lmao

me too , i hate danny more and more , the more i see him, hear him the more i hate him, he has absolutely no idea

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 06:04:09 PM »
STILL lmao

me too , i hate danny more and more , the more i see him, hear him the more i hate him, he has absolutely no idea

He can show how much he has no idea in the commentary box as much as he likes. At least there he's safely far way from the RFC. Thank god he no longer is in the Richmond coaching box or residing over our recruiting.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 06:12:32 PM »
STILL lmao

He can show how much he has no idea in the commentary box as much as he likes. At least there he's safely far way from the RFC. Thank god he no longer is in the Richmond coaching box or residing over our recruiting.

so true, but i heard how he tried to take credit for kraks gr8 form on the w/e!!! what a joke, danny is the reason why kraks development has been so slow!!  by wrapping him in cotton wool all those yrs

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 11:00:23 PM »
so true, but i heard how he tried to take credit for kraks gr8 form on the w/e!!! what a joke, danny is the reason why kraks development has been so slow!!  by wrapping him in cotton wool all those yrs

Throw Petts, Tucky and Hyde's names in there too.