Author Topic: The aftermath  (Read 4683 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The aftermath
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »
People might not like to hear this either, but Bowden in for McGuane would help clear the ball out of defence a lot easier.
With Bowden's (apparent) current frame of mind I'm not so sure.  He is not going to beat his opponent any better than McGuane has been doing, he is no better in the air and unless he embraces the run straight, bounce, take 'em on strategy then he could well be more of a hindrance.  Not saying he will or won't but you have to consider the possibility.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
Not many teams are going to get within 12 points of the Hawks this season.

Our pressure was fantastic, they kicked bad.. who cares, remember Round 7 1990.

Geelong 9.28
Richmond 13.18

Yes, Geelong had more shots, we won though, I recall not complaining too much that day.

We kicked 15 goals against the 3rd best defense in the comp, we've kicked 55.31 in the last 3 weeks.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Tigermonk

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »
Saying Bowden a 200 game veteren, 2 times B&F winner wont do better than a player with 20 games is ludicrous  :lol
Bowden will be back this weekend, his experience would have helped us greatly on the weekend against the Hawks & experience is what we need going into games against the Saints & Cats, Our backline needs guidance getting the ball out quickly by foot. If Joel was playing them last 6 minutes against the Bulldogs we would have won that game cause his one of the best players in the league to hold the game up, too much sometimes for my liking.
Once we stabilize the kicking out from goal then that cuts down the easy goals we give other sides & will create goals for us which in turn will bring wins & lift confidence in the whole playing group. We also need to breed & stablize players who can take over for when we are hit with injuries
McGuane played a good game  :thumbsup  so l dont know why anyone would want to drop him cause Joel & Luke are 2 different types of players.
Never judge a quality player by VFL standards cause its sometimes the slow pace of the game that deludes people of the real ability of a player
Put Tambling back into the VFL now & he will turn to poo, Put Hyde back to the VFL & he fits in cause he likes to slow the game down
Tivendale is a prime example,  he shines at VFL level, but now struggles with endurance of AFL. so his a VFL player that can play AFL as a pinch hitter,  thats why his played off the bench  :thumbsup   only problem is his skills have lacked quality from confidence the past few seasons & others have stepped up a level to take his place. His best option if he wanted to play more AFL games would have been to go to another club cause he should have been doing the harder yards some years back to keep him at a certain level. Still a very serviceable player & one of my favorites but l think his days are numbered.

Cool experience outweighs a preasured youth

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 11:25:19 AM »
Saying Bowden a 200 game veteren, 2 times B&F winner wont do better than a player with 20 games is ludicrous  :lol
Who said he would?  What part of "Not saying he will or won't but you have to consider the possibility." didn't you understand?
And thats why we did so smashingly well with our 'veterans' leading the charge against North and Collingwood.  Our youth should be let play without the constraints or fear of learning the bad habits of cultures past.  There are upsides and downsides to Bowden playing in our current team with their current modus operandi and frankly, I would rather the kids learnt their lessons from the school of hard knocks like they did v Bulldogs than run the risk of a Bowden-type stifling their creativity by playing ultra safety first football.

Tigermonk

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 12:01:51 PM »
Who said he would?  What part of "Not saying he will or won't but you have to consider the possibility." didn't you understand?

Stop writing in jumble people will understand you more
And thats why we did so smashingly well with our 'veterans' leading the charge against North and Collingwood.  Our youth should be let play without the constraints or fear of learning the bad habits of cultures past.  There are upsides and downsides to Bowden playing in our current team with their current modus operandi and frankly, I would rather the kids learnt their lessons from the school of hard knocks like they did v Bulldogs than run the risk of a Bowden-type stifling their creativity by playing ultra safety first football.

Joel Bowden was not playing  :lol  how can you say that when its instructed from the coaching staff to shut the game down they got it wrong
that means your saying Richo is a poo player cause he started it  ;D did you not see him signaling to the players to shut the game down.
Anybody that watches football knows Joel Bowden is the best in them situations even Robert Walls said l wish Joel Bowden was out there now he would win this for the tigers as the game was being shutdown which anybody would know was too early

it dont take a idiot to know it takes 15 seconds to send out the runner with a message keep the game flowing  ;D that would have left 6 minutes on the clock to play football but because they were told to shut the game down & l know this by being told so from within the club & so we got spanked in them last minutes because the preasure overcome them all

We lost the North game cause we got smashed at the start of the game & we stayed with them the rest of the day  ;D dont you watch
every player is accountable for that slow start & the lose including the coach who should have told the players to manup long before he did so

Richmond lost against Collingwood from the same thing but more. a bad game plan, out coached, overuse of the football & using the wrong options all day by every player on that ground not one player. Bowden is only part of 200 odd handballs & Tuck would have had more than Bowden & was just as bad, but he dont get dropped because his our in & under blocking player.
Joel Bowden was the scapegoat for that & many other players could have been dropped before him
Joel took the brunt because he is the senior player & stood up to it.

Get off Joels back  >:( if he gets BOG this week you be kissing his bum saying how good he played

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
Stop writing in jumble people will understand you more
People did.  You on the other hand......

I still don't know what part of that was so hard for you to understand.

Joel Bowden was not playing  :lol  how can you say that when its instructed from the coaching staff to shut the game down they got it wrong
that means your saying Richo is a pooh player cause he started it
I am genuinely concerned for your health TM.  How you came up with this and the rest of the dribble that followed, from my post is really out there.
Get off Joels back  >:( if he gets BOG this week you be kissing his bum saying how good he played
And if he fails you and your fraternity of naysayers and prophets of doom will be baying for his blood.    Again.

Tigermonk

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »
thats what l expected from you another crap post :lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 04:16:07 PM »
To me it looks like Joel has lost a yard of pace so he's struggling to zone off and then lock back on to his direct opponent like he use to when he won his B&Fs. He wasn't dropped because of his ball usage remember. He was dropped for his lack of defensive efforts (although he shouldn't have been on Medhurst in the first place). Sure Joel would have been handy in those last 6 minutes against the dogs but we will never know if we would have been in that leading position in the first place had Joel played. Just all ifs, buts and maybes. As for the Hawks game remember Roughead kicked 4 goals in a half on Joel last year so no guarantees again we would've done any better with him in the side.

I think Joel will come back in but like Richo I think he will be asked to play a new role further upfield if he wants to stay in.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 09:12:06 PM »
I think Joel will come back in but like Richo I think he will be asked to play a new role further upfield if he wants to stay in.

Play him off the bench - 7th forward.

Plays tall, skillful. Showed vs. Carlton in the forward line he doesnt get alot of the ball, but is quite smart.

Along with Brown, Morton, Edwards, Deledio types we'd start to create a fairly skillful forward line.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2008, 05:57:56 PM »

Play him off the bench - 7th forward.

Plays tall, skillful. Showed vs. Carlton in the forward line he doesnt get alot of the ball, but is quite smart.

Along with Brown, Morton, Edwards, Deledio types we'd start to create a fairly skillful forward line.
I reckon Joel will come back as a forward of some form too but he'll still need to provide defensive pressure in our forward line given how many attacks are set up from defence these days.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline jezza

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »
I don't think pace is the problem, I just think that for some reason he's not putting his body in like he has in recent years. Last year I think he was hugely underrated for the courage he showed, was regularly sacrificing himself to get in front of leading forwards and getting crunched. This year, haven't seen it from him. Hopefully this stint at Coburg gets him that defensive urgency back as I think he has a hell of a lot to offer the side.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
I don't think pace is the problem, I just think that for some reason he's not putting his body in like he has in recent years. Last year I think he was hugely underrated for the courage he showed, was regularly sacrificing himself to get in front of leading forwards and getting crunched. This year, haven't seen it from him. Hopefully this stint at Coburg gets him that defensive urgency back as I think he has a hell of a lot to offer the side.
IMO Joel is a player who plays at the same standard regardless of whether we need someone to stand up or not. That is, if we win by 10 goals he is bog, the next week he will get the same stats and we will lose by 10 goals and be bagged. Thats why he got dropped imo, he can`t stand up when the poo hits the fan like, say, Richo.Consistency may be his downfall