Author Topic: AFL clubs tell players not to read football internet forums - LOL  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
They might get depression and their carrer will spiral into poor form, apparently. AFL wellfare dudes and psychologists bitching about

'13 year old boys with pimples'
'people with nothing else to do'
'small porton of population, doesnt reflect community'

What load of shyte.

They are getting paided 400k a year to run onto a park 22 times a year. Cry me a river.

In the Sun paper tommorow. Joke of a excuse for a decent newspaper.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 11:01:15 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: AFL clubs tell players not to read football internet forums - LOL
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »
You just beat me to it Bents.

Yep in the Herald-Sun tomorrow. AFL Players have apparently been warned to avoid reading online fan forums as what is said about them is more like vicious attacks rather than criticisms and it's done by just a small random selection of "supporters". They want to avoid players ending up with depression taking the heavy personal criticisms to heart when they are struggling.

Mark Fine on SEN replied that players should know that the average profile of the average user of these forums is a pimply 13 year old with nothing better to do. If only they knew this then they wouldn't care what is said about them. The journo on with Finey said yeah but AFL footballers have massive egos of themselves.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:49:08 PM »
LOL  :rollin

Reminds me of a few around here these days

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 11:14:23 PM »
Hi to Jordie  ;D :inquisition
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:26:21 AM »

Mark Fine on SEN replied that players should know that the average profile of the average user of these forums is a pimply 13 year old with nothing better to do.

Actually, in between watching Big Brother, dressing up like Corey Worthington, squeezing my zits and jerking off over Gabriella Cilmi, I'm lucky to find any time to post on these forums!
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

richmondrules

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
Players cop a blogging

Mark Robinson

May 21, 2008 12:00am

AFL players have been banned from scouring fan websites, for fear the vicious player appraisals could lead to depression.

At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught blogging or leaking valuable information to the websites.

Labelled "cyber bullying" and "big brother" blogging by the AFL Players' Association, clubs have taken the drastic step of encouraging a boycott of the popular fan sites.

"I wouldn't encourage any players to use them. I think it's for bloggers, and I think it's mostly for titillation rather any decent feedback," AFLPA general manager of psychology, people and culture, Pippa Grange said yesterday.

"It's more your big brother-type trivia.

"I would agree with coaches telling players not to look, but I would also encourage the players not to think of it in any way as criticism - it's just a random sample of people with not much better to do."

Most football clubs have independent supporter websites, including Saintsational, TalkingCarlton, Demonology, Punt Road End, Nick's Collingwood Page and and Bomberblitz.

One of the most popular is BigFooty.

On them, anonymous bloggers ritually attack players for their performances, and the criticisms sometimes carry racial and sexual overtones.

One coach, who did not want to draw attention to his players, yesterday said: "They get real nasty."

The coach said he was aware of one player receiving "particularly scathing" criticism and he had approached the player and asked if he was aware of it.

"Thankfully, he said it didn't matter because he didn't read it, but bloody oath, it could affect the player," the coach said. "It's a serious issue, a major issue.

"Even if one player gets depression, or his form falls away, it could end his career."

One club official last night confirmed the coach had directed some of his players to stop reading sites.

"Yes, we have suggested to some players they avoid online fan sites," the official said.

A football manager from another club said he had addressed the issue with the players.

He also revealed he had warned support staff that if they leaked information to websites, or people knowingly connected to the websites, they would be sacked.

"We have said, 'Whatever you know is not to be passed on to people outside the club'," he said.

He said players had to avoid any scathing critiques.

"It's like critical fan mail, it could do your head in, and it's the same thing with websites.

"You should read some of it, it's rubbish.

"You've got to understand the ego of players and fragility comes with that as well."

Grange yesterday said AFL footballers were in the "culture of celebrities".

"And there's a lot of nasty stuff out there," she said.

She likens it to cyber bullying at schools, where there are alarming cases of bullying bringing on forms of depression and even attempted suicide.

"There's no restriction of what people are able to do with the internet," Grange said.

"Blogging on websites about players is a form of bullying, it's public bullying of people in celebrity positions.

"And the footy players, unless they personally take some course of investigation, have got absolutely no comeback."

Grange said public criticism of players had been addressed, although cyber criticism hadn't specifically been on the agenda.

"We talk to the players about building resilience about feedback and what they need to let through to the keeper, and what's actually value for them and how they make a choice about each," she said.

"We don't specifically focus on websites, but that's going to happen with our digital lifestyle at the minute."

More serious, she said, were players' identities being taken by bloggers.

"The biggest thing I've encountered in my role where it's been a problem is where people take the identity of the player and claim to be making comments on behalf of the player," she said.

"They get obviously quite upset about that."

ANYONE with personal problems can call Lifelineon 131 114; Victorian Statewide Suicide Helpline on 1300 651 251; or Mensline Australia on 1300 789 978.

richmondrules

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02:05 AM »
Fair enough I reckon. If I was a coach I'd be telling my players not to read them.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:24 AM »
i couldn't believe it when i saw this article. i was expecting the main page of OER to appear with the other sites.

its the same as players reading some trashy articles in the herald sun.

if they cant handle criticism maybe their playing the wrong game.

In saying that depression should be treated very carefully...
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:14:19 AM »
Fair enough I reckon. If I was a coach I'd be telling my players not to read them.

If I were Terry Wallace i'd be getting Andy Collins to read them  :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »

Actually, in between watching Big Brother, dressing up like Corey Worthington, squeezing my zits and jerking off over Gabriella Cilmi, I'm lucky to find any time to post on these forums!

She's a fair piece, pity us 13 year olds are out of her league.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 12:52:39 PM »
its the same as players reading some trashy articles in the herald sun.

Exactly Daniel.  I posted this reply on another forum:

And what about banning them from reading the tripe that the media
dishes out? This whole article smacked of an exercise in trying to
raise awareness of depression by picking on a popular target without
one shred of evidence to support it. Sure, depression is real, its
terrible, and it cuts across all demographic boundaries but if you are
going to write an article on it then don't clutch at unsubstantiated
straws to support your point. Then again, we all know how much I love
the media!  >:(

And the author (and quoted sage) would do very well to actually
research the fan sites they disparaged before lambasting them with
sweeping generalisations. The members here are of the highest moral
order and maturity.   ::)  ;D

Ox

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Blogging on websites about players is a form of bullying, it's public bullying of people in celebrity positions.

Yeh...only difference is,this guy gets paid to slag them :wallywink

Ramps

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
Blogging on websites about players is a form of bullying, it's public bullying of people in celebrity positions.

I just wanna say, I am not a bully  ;D

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »
One-Eyed Richmond didn't get a mention !

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »
One-Eyed Richmond didn't get a mention !
Thats because we at this website arent bullies and we dont unduly criticise and we never ever pick on one player and single him out when he's having a bad run, in fact with the wisdom and insight we have into the game, a lot of us could be considered as mentors and positive support supporters lol ;)