Author Topic: Polak thread [merged]  (Read 39081 times)

the claw

Re: Polak thread [merged]
« Reply #330 on: January 29, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »
Well I can hold my head up here yet again... :lol :whistle, I never wanted him to go and lets just hope he can reward himself first and then the club this year.

Good on you Polly!!!
well i can hold my head up as well but i wanted him gone and still do.

but good luck to him after what happened i hope he can some how improve from what he was before the accident. i wont be holding my breath in expectation though.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Graham Polak stakes claim (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #331 on: February 06, 2010, 11:23:44 PM »
Graham Polak stakes claim
* Jay Clark
 * Sunday Herald Sun
 * February 07, 2010

GRAHAM Polak is poised to win back his place on Richmond's senior list after stunning improvement this summer.

Only three months after he was delisted and subsequently returned to the rookie list, the tram accident survivor is firming as the Tigers' most threatening forward option.

Richmond's comeback hero ditched his helmet and pressed his case for a promotion in the club's first pre-season practice match on Friday night.

Adding to the positive signs, top draft pick Dustin Martin is likely to start the season as a frontrunner to win this year's NAB Rising Star award after a midfield blitz in the same match.

The powerfully built midfielder ran rings around his on-ball counterparts, brushing opponents off with ease as he accelerated and continually broke lines.

The No.3 selection is certain to play Round 1 and add a dynamic on-ball edge to the Tigers. He showed exceptional depth in his kicking, setting up two goals in three quarters of play.

His 86kg frame and hard-nosed approach enabled Martin to compete comfortably in the clinches alongside his more experienced teammates.

Richmond chiefs have spoken glowingly of Polak's improvement through the pre-season and were made acutely aware of his critical importance to the forward structure last week.

The 25-year-old, who suffered brain damage and was told he was unlikely to play football again after the July 2008 accident, kicked one goal but would have nailed four or five had he kicked straight.

More encouraging was his authoritative presence deep forward and willingness to use his height and strength to provide a strong contest, splitting numerous packs against VFL side Coburg.

His courageous attack on the ball set up a constant flow of goals for teammates including clever work from Robin Nahas, Mitch Morton and three-goal wild-card Dean Polo.

Tigers football chief Craig Cameron confirmed the club had the option to promote two rookies to its senior list in the first week after the NAB Cup grand final.

"It was pretty pleasing, especially the way he (Polak) threw himself at the contest," Cameron said.

"It was difficult with the wind but had he kicked straight he would have had a bag.

"As we have no veterans, we can nominate two players (to join the senior list) and we have held that out as a real carrot to our rookie-listed players."

Cameron indicated the decision would be made later this month but acknowledged Polak, a favourite among teammates, was well-placed to get the nod.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/graham-polak-stakes-claim/story-e6frf9jf-1225827452605

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Improved Polak on fast track forward (Age)
« Reply #332 on: February 11, 2010, 03:09:19 AM »
Improved Polak on fast track forward
CAROLINE WILSON AND MICHAEL GLEESON
February 11, 2010

GRAHAM Polak's recovery on and off the field has allowed the accident victim, who was near death 20 months ago, to emerge from an astonishing pre-season as Richmond's best key forward. He will almost certainly be promoted from the Tigers' rookie list before round one.

Richmond football boss Craig Cameron said yesterday that Polak, who will line up without his helmet at full-forward against Hawthorn in the NAB Cup match on Saturday night, would not have remained at the club without the introduction late last year of the mature-age rookie rule.

''Graham realises he has come a long way and it's probably only now that he can see how much improvement he has made from last year,'' said Cameron, who promised Polak in October the club would re-draft him as a mature-aged rookie.

''Graham has trained very well. His fitness levels are good and it is fair to say he is well ahead of where he was this time last year.

''Given the effort and performance he has put in over the pre-season, he has well and truly earned his spot in the NAB Cup side.''

Club staffers have been astonished at Polak's improvement during the pre-season. He has worked closely with captain Chris Newman to improve his marking and is recording his best running times since joining the Tigers from Fremantle at the end of 2006.

While the medical team that worked on Polak after he was almost killed when hit by a tram in June 2008 regard him as completely rehabilitated, Richmond's doctors have been amazed by his improved physical and mental improvement over the past three months.

''Richmond should be very proud of the way they stuck with 'Polly','' his manager, Paul Connors, said yesterday. ''He was never in doubt that they would keep him.''

Polak's rookie contract is worth much less than his previous deal. But he now seems to have a genuine future at Richmond and, given the absence of any veterans on its list, he and one other rookie remain eligible for instant promotion.

Concern about Polak, who suffered severe brain damage in the accident, and his ability to play under lights, has led the club and coach Damien Hardwick to remain low key regarding his potential.

But the belief at the club is that his move to attack will allow Jayden Post to switch to defence, with Tyrone Vickery a second tall forward option.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said last night the Polak story vindicated its decision to introduce the mature-age rookie rule.

''The rule wasn't brought in for Polak, but the fact that he's playing as a result of the rule is very pleasing,'' Demetriou said.

''It was really upon the initiative of [AFL football boss] Adrian Anderson and the draft review committee about allowing for late-maturing players and giving people a second chance.

''My initial concerns surrounded depriving younger players coming through, but the introduction of more rookies has solved that.

''Quite apart from anything else, it's just very pleasing to see him having made such a sensational recovery.''

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/improved-polak-on-fast-track-forward-20100210-nsfh.html

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »
delist

the claw

« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
delist
yep. i still shake my head at the folly.
 and to think we kept polly so we could have a bit of experience and someone to take the heat of the young tall forwards.
the trouble being you have to be up to standard to achieve these things.
polak or bradshaw we went  polak. laughable.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2010, 05:36:35 PM »
Just watched the last 2 qtrs again on Fox, I think some might want to get off Polaks back a bit. He actually did more than a hell of a lot of others and the delivery to him was nothing short of crap.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #336 on: February 14, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »
Just watched the last 2 qtrs again on Fox, I think some might want to get off Polaks back a bit. He actually did more than a hell of a lot of others and the delivery to him was nothing short of crap.

We will probably get shot down WAT but I tend to agree with you.  The ball hardly got down there and the delivery was crap.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #337 on: February 14, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »

We will probably get shot down WAT but I tend to agree with you.  The ball hardly got down there and the delivery was crap.

Yes we will Chuck.. :lol, he actually took a couple of good marks and put his head over the ball when needed.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

the claw

« Reply #338 on: February 14, 2010, 05:54:42 PM »
PPPFFFTTT Hes a senior player at the club one of only a handful with more than a hundred games to his name hes supposed to lead the way not wallow in mediocrity.
 what the hell did we keep him for if not to at least give guidance and experience and take some heat for the young blokes. hes never been up to standard and im sick to death of the same old same old.
give his spot to griffiths  at least we will be getting games into him and finding out if he can play  or not. 9 yrs of practically nothing from polak sort of says we have nothing to lose.what we got from him yesterday is about his level  hes no part of the future.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #339 on: February 14, 2010, 07:11:02 PM »
If Polak averages only two or even one goal a game, but takes the buffeting of two and three defenders all the time, meaning you don't have to expose grithiths, or any one else, to it until they are physically ready then he has served a purpose. He actually performs and provides an option then that is a bonus.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Harro80

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #340 on: February 14, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
Let just give the man a chance. He played ok last night, not to good in the first half but in the second half he stood up a bit and took a couple of great marks and kicked a dead eye dick goal. Lets just see what happens. I dont think we have a choice but not to put him into the team this year.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #341 on: February 14, 2010, 09:26:52 PM »
PPPFFFTTT Hes a senior player at the club one of only a handful with more than a hundred games to his name hes supposed to lead the way not wallow in mediocrity.
 what the hell did we keep him for if not to at least give guidance and experience and take some heat for the young blokes. hes never been up to standard and im sick to death of the same old same old.
give his spot to griffiths  at least we will be getting games into him and finding out if he can play  or not. 9 yrs of practically nothing from polak sort of says we have nothing to lose.what we got from him yesterday is about his level  hes no part of the future.
Not sure how you can expect to play Griffiths when he's recovering from shoulder surgery, hasn't had a preseason and wouldn't be expected to play in the early part of the season at all. In fact given his injury history I'd be happy if he didn't play at all this year and focussed on getting his body 100% right.

the claw

« Reply #342 on: February 14, 2010, 10:34:47 PM »
Let just give the man a chance. He played ok last night, not to good in the first half but in the second half he stood up a bit and took a couple of great marks and kicked a dead eye dick goal. Lets just see what happens. I dont think we have a choice but not to put him into the team this year.
give him a chance sheesh hes had 9 yrs of chance he is not up to it.

If Polak averages only two or even one goal a game, but takes the buffeting of two and three defenders all the time, meaning you don't have to expose grithiths, or any one else, to it until they are physically ready then he has served a purpose. He actually performs and provides an option then that is a bonus.
sheesh one could only wish.he doesnt compete he never has  this is the problem. he is never going to get two or three defenders  never. the thing is hes as soft as butter and if we get 20 goals out of him  it will be a miracle.

griffiths doesnt need exposure just like astbury doesnt need it not.  bloody hell if at 200cm and 105kg he is not ready he never will be.
if griffiths doesnt get a game play gourdis or rance or mcguane  or any tall who may be a part of thr future  bugger polak 9 yrs in the afl and still theres those who have the blinkers on.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #343 on: February 14, 2010, 10:55:20 PM »
sheesh one could only wish.he doesnt compete he never has  this is the problem. he is never going to get two or three defenders  never. the thing is hes as soft as butter and if we get 20 goals out of him  it will be a miracle.

Have another look at last nights game and see how many times he had to compete against 2 or 3 defenders. This tactic has moved beyond a for some players only thing to a structural thing regardless of who the man being kicked to is.

Astbury hasnt had the shoulder problems Griffiths has. If Griffiths runs out in the next couple of months and effs a shoulder there will be lynch mobs down at punt road looking for the medical staff. I dont think he even played in the match against coburg did he?

Every one is different claw, some will be ready ,physically, quicker than others. Are we about to expect every recruit to mix it like martin does straight away?

Do too much damage now to a kid and you will shorten their career. Let their bodies mature and strengthen and make decisions on each and every one on their individual merits. If polak can just do enough to not have to play griffiths before he is ready, when ever that is, then that's a win. anything else is a bonus

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #344 on: February 14, 2010, 11:13:05 PM »
He might have been in the system for 9 years claw but ffs mate he was nearly killed by a tram and it was his first real hit out since then, give him a break.

Like al said he was tripple teamed for most of the night, that wasn't his fault, we should have got someone back there to help him out.

Lets put him up against a wall and shoot him...... ::)

"Rucks: