Author Topic: Richmond mentor Craig McRae well suited to Gold Coast (The Age)  (Read 4492 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond mentor well suited to Gold Coast
Dan Silkstone | July 13, 2008

AS THE AFL and its Gold Coast team lick their wounds today and wonder how their chosen leader, Michael Voss, got away, they could do a lot worse than cast an eye over one of the former Brisbane captain's less celebrated teammates.

Craig McRae looms as a candidate capable of fulfilling many of the requirements for the job of guiding a team of Gold Coast teenagers into the AFL.

McRae, a development coach at Richmond, was loathe to put up his hand for the job yesterday. The 195-game player said he had no plans to leave Punt Road.

But McRae is an ambitious man, well known in Queensland and with an impeccable record of developing junior talent. Anyone head-hunting for the vacant Gold Coast job would be derelict in their duty if they did not look closely at him.

"I'm not in a position to put my hand up or anything like that. Others will decide if I'm worthy or not. I'm quite happy at Richmond and concentrating on my role. It's up for others to judge," McRae said yesterday.

For the past two years McRae has been responsible for guiding players in their first four years at the club.

Before that he coached the Queensland under-18 side for two years, winning the division two national under-18 title and producing a string of AFL draftees, including Ricky Petterd, Jarrod Harbrow and Kurt Tippett. In 2006, under McRae, Queensland had a record 18 players drafted into the AFL.

With the Gold Coast job requiring the ability to bring a group of youngsters into the TAC Cup, develop and coalesce them in two years into a team capable of competing at the elite level, McRae's development pedigree marks him out. The three-time premiership player is also a qualified teacher, a background that he said was key to his coaching.

"I see myself as an educator, not really just as a coach. I go down the path of educating the players," he said.

He said he was proud of the work he has done at Richmond. In his time at the club, youngsters such as Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin have caught the eye but they were high draft picks, expected to shine. There are others, though, where McRae feels he has made a real difference.

"You look last year at Jack Riewoldt, Shane Edwards … they are are all playing now this weekend over in Perth. You get great excitement seeing those players come on. Last year Jake King was a rookie player promoted and he made a great impact … there are little wins along the way that give you faith in what you are doing."

McRae said he did not see himself as a career development coach. He has his eye, eventually, on bigger prizes.

"I've got great aspirations," he said. "I aspire to be a coach. At what level depends on a lot of things but I aspire to be the best coach I can be."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/richmond-mentor-well-suited-to-gold-coast/2008/07/12/1215658206406.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
McRae among fancies for Gold Coast coach job (Courier Mail)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:10:52 AM »
McRae among fancies for Gold Coast coach job
By Marco Monteverde | July 24, 2008 12:00am

BRISBANE Lions triple-premiership winner Craig McRae is eyeing a move back to Queensland as inaugural coach of the Gold Coast Football Club.

Now an assistant coach with Richmond, McRae yesterday would not confirm he had been approached by the AFL club in waiting.

But it is understood he is a leading contender for the job following preferred option Michael Voss's decision to join the West Coast Eagles coaching staff.

"I think it's up to others to decide if I'm worthy of the (Gold Coast) job," said McRae, whose Tigers deal expires at the end of the season.

"I'm committed to Richmond and at the moment that's all I'm concerned about."

The Tigers host the Brisbane Lions at Telstra Dome on Saturday night, and McRae says 10th-placed Richmond's slim finals hopes will hinge on the result.

"Our season's on the line," he said.

"If we can get the job done this weekend, we're still in the hunt.

"If we can't get over the line, then it's more than likely that we don't make it.

"It's a massive game for both clubs."

The sixth-placed Lions can pull 10 points clear of the Tigers with a win, but must overcame recent road woes highlighted by shock losses to Melbourne and Essendon.

"They'd be the first to admit that they're struggling interstate at the moment and I'm sure (coach) Leigh Matthews will have that as a major focus," McRae said.

"I think they'll come down for this game and do what they do well.

"They're a great tackling team and I'm sure they've been working on a lot of their skills under pressure."

McRae admits it's a "weird" feeling when he helps plot the potential downfall of his former club.

The Tigers have had the wood on Brisbane in recent years, with the Lions not having beaten them since 2004.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/afl/story/0,27046,24066625-5016169,00.html

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond mentor Craig McRae well suited to Gold Coast (The Age)
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:05:07 AM »
Bugger.  :-[
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline serpico66

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:35:02 AM »
Surely this wouldn't be a massive loss. There would be plenty of well qualified people out there that could replace him

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »
l heard a while back that if voss took the gold coast job, that mccrae would be his right hand man.
l dont want him to leave the tigers because l believe he will be our next coach .
if he goes theres another one we have missed out on .
hes a very smart operator we need someone like him as coach .

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »
Voss is going to West Coast.

Offline dereel-tiger

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 11:13:30 AM »
Voss is going to West Coast.

yeah l knew that,l should have worded my quote abit better.
l see even without voss going there they are still interested in mccrae .
l reckon send wallet up to the gold coast and we sign up mccrae.
at least wallet wouldnt need his solarium.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »
Surely this wouldn't be a massive loss. There would be plenty of well qualified people out there that could replace him
I absolutely disagree. McCrae's coaching ability is held in very high regard and to lose him would definitely be a loss. Especially as our coaching group isn't that big.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 11:35:12 AM »
goodbye and shut the door on your way out.

no big loss at all
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

no big loss at all

And why do you say that?

As a coach and leader for our juniors he's been great and it's shown with the youngsters coming through and performing quicker than before he arrived.   :clapping

Please explain your side of the tracks. 
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:23:01 PM »

no big loss at all
You know you really offer nothing to this forum

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »

at least wallet wouldnt need his solarium.

You're not up here today are you.   :(

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »

no big loss at all

:sleep
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »

no big loss at all

:sleep

In-for-me is correct, you are a waste of space.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
Moving right along and back to the topic  ::).

I absolutely disagree. McCrae's coaching ability is held in very high regard and to lose him would definitely be a loss. Especially as our coaching group isn't that big.
I'm hoping he'll stick around for a few years to see the development of our current cubs through. He's talked about the satisfaction he's got from the likes of Foley and White who weren't top draft picks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd