Author Topic: Trouble is brewing  (Read 57954 times)

Jackstar

Re: Trouble is brewing
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2004, 10:08:56 PM »
Something about leader( Macek ) of the alternative ticket wins lawn bowls competition at retirement village,
Guarantee it wil be the usual crap about Mickey Mouse and looking at books etc

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2004, 11:37:17 PM »
Might as well been that Jackstar lol as nothing was said  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2004, 12:10:14 AM »
It was just on the news - coterie member Rob Slade saying Clinton should stand down.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2004, 01:54:14 AM »
Interesting but my thoughts still don't change. All 27,500 of us should get the chance to decide yeah or neah not just a few "big wigs" of the club who jump up and down in the media. IMO it appears the movers and shakers are hell bent on avoiding facing the members. One side claiming it's for the sake of stability; the other claiming it's for the sake of unity. We've been down this path the last 20 years and it has gotten us nowhere  :scream.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Casey's reign seems over - Caro
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2004, 02:49:14 AM »
Casey's reign seems over
By Caroline Wilson
realfooty.theage.com.au
September 10, 2004

Clinton Casey's increasingly desperate bid to remain at the helm of the Richmond Football Club now looks certain to have failed as the embattled president yesterday faced dissent from his board, his coterie groups and former Tigers players.

With Brendan Schwab's group of challengers now a ticket of nine headed by a new alternative leader in Charles Macek, and at least one of Casey's directors, Rob Turner, plotting to overthrow him, the president's five-year reign appears all but finished.

In two of a series of attacks yesterday upon Casey, immediate past captain Matthew Knights said that Casey had "nil or no support from the former players", while Tom Hafey Club chairman Rob Slade said the president was "loathed by the coterie groups".

Disgruntled director Turner met Schwab on Tuesday and has reportedly tried to merge the present board with the challengers. Although Turner failed to confront Casey at Tuesday night's board meeting, he has indicated that at least three other directors have withdrawn their support for the president.

Casey left Wednesday night's best-and-fairest count almost immediately after the formal proceedings had finished. He flew overseas yesterday for a month-long trip still confident he could defeat the Schwab-Macek group, claiming in a bold statement that the club's sponsors and coterie groups were behind him.

That claim prompted Slade, a prominent horse syndicate owner who is also a five-year member of the president's men supporters' group, to fire an angry email to Casey on Wednesday night.

"He's loathed by the coterie groups," said Slade. "The first year I went back to the president's men, the suggestion was we should change the name because we never saw the president.

"I realise Ian Campbell did not work out as CEO. Well, Clinton selected him and then put all the blame on Campbell and the AFL for recommending him.

"He promised to step aside if a better candidate came along. Well, clearly that's a cop-out. With that proviso, he'll never walk. I said all this to him in my email and I've been deafened by his silence."

Knights' comments last night followed Brendon Gale's assertion on the Fox Footy channel that the present administration should take responsibility for the club's perilous circumstances.

"Clinton's been the leader of the club and when you plunge the club into a $2.5 million loss, that's enough of a reason in itself," said Knights, now coaching Port Adelaide in the SANFL.

"Having been around at the time of the Save Our Skins campaign and seeing the club plunged back into that disarray is unbelievable really.

"With the coaching role at Port, I only keep in touch from afar but I talk with players and former players. There is nil or no support from the former players.

"The club's been turned into a laughing stock over the last two years for the way it has been run and for people who are passionate about the club, that's difficult to take. I just want to see the club be competitive and successful and I believe the group challenging Clinton deserves a chance."

With corporate investigators having completed their assessment of the Tigers, the club will go into the 2005 season with only one full-time assistant coach - compared with three this year - with one part-time assistant expected to join Brian Royal in helping new coach Terry Wallace.

Football boss Greg Miller, who has indicated in the past that he would not serve under the challengers, said yesterday that Casey intended to remain at Tigerland and fight December's total spill of all board positions.

Miller said he would not be taking a seat on the board.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/09/09/1094530765814.html?oneclick=true

froars

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2004, 02:52:02 AM »
RICHMOND'S only surviving premiership president, Ian Wilson, has joined the call for change at Punt Rd.
 Wallace on Swans
 Semi-final teams
 Our experts' tips
 Week 1 finals

Casey chambers: Clinton Casey says he's not going anywhere.

Wilson said yesterday the Clinton Casey administration had presided over the darkest period in the club's history.

"The club's at rock bottom, the lowest ebb it's been in its history, and I'm just sick of watching it self-destruct," he said.

"There's got to be change. These blokes have presided over a wooden spoon year and a loss in the order of $2.5 million.

"Jack Dyer and Graeme Richmond would bloody well turn in their graves to see the pitiful state of the bloody joint now.

"Look, they'd be doing everyone a favour if they did what the old Arabs did: fold up their tents and fade into the night.

"Hey, the results are on the board. Read the papers every bloody week: we've won the wooden spoon and we're going to lose $2.5million.

"Anything's got to be better; let somebody else have a go.

"It's all very well for people to be talking about Hawthorn, well, they belted the s - - t out of us two weeks ago."

Wilson, 70, was Richmond president from 1974-85, a term that produced two premierships from five top-four finishes.

He remains a keen Richmond follower, but says he has no interest in resuming an active role at the club.

Wilson admitted to the Herald Sun he was a close friend of Peter Welsh, a key member of the Brendan Schwab group challenging for power, and also a member of the Casey board until early this year.

Wilson said he was speaking independently. "I'm speaking as a Richmond supporter, nothing else," he said.

"Look, running a footy club is as simple as this: winning games on Saturday afternoon and balancing the books. Winning football on a Saturday afternoon is all the average punter cares about.

"The new blokes are pretty well credentialled. They can't be worse than the old mob. You want someone to breathe some fire into the bloody joint.

"You walk into the place now and it's as flat as a s - - tcarter's hat.

"Twenty years ago, we were the most respected and feared club in the league. Now we're the easy beats."

Wilson said he had nothing personal against Casey.

"I really don't know him that well. He's always been pleasant to me, I can tell you. I'm not being judgmental on him personally, I'm only judging the performance.

"The club hasn't had a great five years, has it? Football clubs are run from the top. Very few football clubs win premierships with bad administrations.

"People are telling me they're sorry for the Tigers. I hate people being sorry for us. 'Poor old Richmond', they're saying. We liked it when people hated us because it meant we were successful. I think it's paramount there's change."

Asked if he were concerned director of football Greg Miller might reconsider his position if Casey lost the presidency, Wilson said: "I think he's done a good job, but if that's what he thinks, so be it."

Asked if running a football club were easier from the outside, he said: "I was the president of the club that swapped the Whale (Brian Roberts), Francis Jackson and Graham Teasdale, Brownlow medallist, for John Pitura."

Casey is overseas and could not be contacted last night.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10720281%255E19742,00.html

froars

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2004, 03:02:38 AM »
Asked if he were concerned director of football Greg Miller might reconsider his position if Casey lost the presidency, Wilson said: "I think he's done a good job, but if that's what he thinks, so be it."

So be it is all he can say - this is getting scarier and scarier.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2004, 03:40:27 AM »
RICHMOND'S only surviving premiership president, Ian Wilson, has joined the call for change at Punt Rd.

Wilson said yesterday the Clinton Casey administration had presided over the darkest period in the club's history.

"The club's at rock bottom, the lowest ebb it's been in its history, and I'm just sick of watching it self-destruct," he said.

For crying out loud! ok I was only a kid when Ian was president but from my knowledge of the history of the RFC and forgetting two flags, the dismissal of 4 time premiership coach Tom Hafey after one poor season, the Pitura trade and 5 coaches in 10 years, we financially started to go a croppa towards the end of his reign via mainly a rampant chequebook trading war with the Pies where we lost 3 club champions in Raines, Cloke and Wood and recruited duds in their place. 1980's presidents shouldn't throw stones  ::).

"Anything's got to be better; let somebody else have a go.

Groundhog Day! The scary thing is Ian's being serious  :gobdrop. Talk about continuing on the cancerous attitude we've had at our Club the past 20+ years  :banghead.

"Look, running a footy club is as simple as this: winning games on Saturday afternoon and balancing the books. Winning football on a Saturday afternoon is all the average punter cares about.

The last sentence is true but Ian you're just showing you haven't been president of a footy club for 20 years.

"The new blokes are pretty well credentialled. They can't be worse than the old mob. You want someone to breathe some fire into the bloody joint.

The leaders of the alternative group aren't new  ::). Once again the attitude of change for change sake and out of panic and not necessarily for better when things aren't right that has plagued our footy Club :banghead.

As froars said, that comment is scary. We finally have someone who knows about modern AFL recruiting via trading and drafting after the stuffs of the past 20 and he doesn't care if he leaves. I know many people within the Club respect Ian Wilson but IMHO this is another illustration of the old guard having too much say and no idea!  :help   

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Board rallies behind Clinton
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2004, 03:48:33 AM »
Board rallies behind Clinton
10 September 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Robinson and Jon Pierik

THE Richmond board has dismissed claims it is fractured and ready to offload president Clinton Casey.

As Casey flew out of Melbourne for a four-week holiday, board members rallied behind him in a bid to ease unrest.

However, frustration remains.

A key club supporter yesterday called for Casey to resign, a request Casey fiercely rejected.

Rob Slade, president of the Tommy Hafey Club and a member of the President's coterie group said: "He needs to resign immediately and allow the new board to get on board."

Casey hit back. "He is just one voice among 27,000," he said. "We are going to a meeting in December where the members can have their say."

Casey also rejected claims, made on Tuesday, that at least five members of his board were not aligned with him.

Yesterday, those members were emphatic the board was united and ready to meet head-on challengers Charles Macek and Brendan Schwab and their nine-man ticket in December.

One director, Rob Turner, who had a meeting with Schwab this week in a bid to avert an election, has committed himself to Casey.

John Matthies, Anthony Mithen, Gary Cameron, Don Lord, Gary March and Alan Nicklos, who is overseas, joined Turner in backing Casey.

Lord said yesterday: "Of all the current board members, and the people on the alternative ticket, Clinton is definitely the one to lead the club.

"There are no fractures within the club.

"There's always differences of opinions, that's healthy, but I know as a fact we are united, that whatever differences we had weren't significant enough to cause any problems.

"This is coming out of the other camp, probably stemming from the meeting Rob Turner had with Brendan Schwab."

Turner yesterday refused to comment on the meeting or claims he was at odds with Casey.

"The board is totally united in its efforts to beat this opposition ticket," Turner said.

"I'm fully supportive of our board. At this stage our ticket is led by Clinton, we're moving forward with Clinton, he's the president of the footy club."

Cameron was also emphatic. Asked if he supported Casey, he said: "Absolutely."

Their support came after Slade yesterday attacked Casey and demanded he step aside.

"He has to resign now and save the club money and time by having to go a election," Slade said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,10720278%255E19771,00.html

froars

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2004, 04:05:51 AM »
I tell you what, I will do a Pahloff if this group comes in and takes over the current board.
We've got two competing parties, now we've got coterie groups and a prehistoric administrator calling the shots.
If these guys put their own people in without going to the members in toto to see how they want the club to go into the future, i'll call for their heads.
If CAsey wants to stand, or Welsh, or Mickey Mouse, let them - but let the members decide the composition of the board.
This is where we got into trouble the last time, with Casey coming in unelected by the members, and this is where it's got us.
Do these people think the members are so stupid we can't make up our own minds who we want?
I respect Benny Gale's opinion, but isn't it up to me and everyone else to decide who we want?
These coterie groups contribute a lot towards the club - doesn't give them the right to dictate even if they are upset over what's happening.  We all are and we all want a breath of fresh air coming into the club as Wilson wants.  But let us pick the people ourselves.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2004, 04:29:54 AM »
Agree froars.

Time for all candidates to face the masses otherwise they have no true mandate to lead OUR Club.

Jackstar

« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2004, 06:56:10 AM »
I find all of this very funny
Real easy for people to throw cheaps shots.
Didnt see too many alternative ticket supporters at the Best and Fairest either, only seen Macek. Didnt see Slade or Mickey or Woosha, what happened to supporting your club?
As for Slade, he went to School with Clinton and would know him very well.
He might sell a few more horses now that he has his name in the media too now, Lee Freedman would be rubbing his hands $$$$$
Ian Wilson, well well, ""Ocktar""  I dont thing the club was in a very good state when you left either. Now you come out throwing cheap shots
Funny thing is about people with Creditentials. People say that Macek has great credientials ? Does he ? IOOF, Telstra ? Hey so did Ian Campbell  >:(

Jackstar

« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2004, 07:08:20 AM »
Ian Wilson, I forgot about the Pitura mess during your reign.When Ian left the club, it was a mess, its amazing how people and media forget, Didnt right that did you Caroline. If Caroline Wilson had the club at heart, she wouldnt be trying to bring the club to its knees by using the media
Ian, go and join Macek cooking the snags at the local RSL please.
Just on Casey, you will find that Clinton has the support of the supporter groups.
The majority of people at the B &F supported Clinton.
Everyone makes mistakes  and people can see that the process at present is the right one eg New Coach, Cutting Costs, New CEO etc.
All of this makes you support Clinton more. I will now !

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2004, 08:41:01 AM »
We've reached rock bottom you say Ian...me thinks not. I think that may have been when I stood on the street corner rattling cans to Save Our Skins! And why were we rattling tins...cause you and your administration basically sent us broke in your stupid mine's bigger than yours fight with the Pies. I almost choked on my breakfast when reading your crap and why doesn't your darling daughter ever mention any of the shortcomings of yours or your cronies administrations.

Look at who we lost on your watch....Wood, Cloke, Raines, Taylor and look at the nuff, nuffs we got in return, Phillip Walsh, Craig Stewart...need I go on. The rot started setting in from about 1983....no players, no money, poohe clubrooms, social club etc.

Ian running a club's just a tad different than in your day, for a start they're $25 million businesses. There's also a little thing called the DRAFT...no more bullying and open cheque books, which knowing the way you operated is probably a good thing.

I agree with Clinton on one thing....let the MEMBERS decide. Is the alternative ticket too scared to go to the members? It would appear so and that's why they are getting increasingly desperate! Rob Slade was on SEN this morning spouting more of the same crap and offering nothing new.

If one more person says that the majority of members are in favour of the alternative I'll  :scream.

Am I angry - YES!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 08:45:18 AM by bg25 »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2004, 08:57:52 AM »

That's funny coming from you. Though, you'd know about destruction because you and your administration almost killed, terminated, destroyed our Club - when you left we were broke - broke you moron - go away.  :banghead.

"Jack Dyer and Graeme Richmond would bloody well turn in their graves to see the pitiful state of the bloody joint now.

Yes Jack Dyer would be. No disrepsect for Graeme Richmond as he was a great man for our Club, but he along Ian Wilson sent us broke.

"Hey, the results are on the board. Read the papers every bloody week: we've won the wooden spoon and we're going to lose $2.5million.

Yes and when you were in power we lost over $1 million one year - a worse result than what we face now - $1 million when your revenues are about 3-4 million. Go away a fool

Wilson, 70, was Richmond president from 1974-85, a term that produced two premierships from five top-four finishes.

Wonderful selective journalism - he sent us to he wall. He presided over reconrd losses in the last 3 years of his reign

"Twenty years ago, we were the most respected and feared club in the league. Now we're the easy beats."

Let me see 20 years ago - was 1984 - we were a joke.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)