Author Topic: Tivs and Hyde officially farewelled  (Read 4509 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tivs and Hyde officially farewelled
« on: August 28, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »
At the end of training today, the rest of their teammates and coaching staff formed a guard of honour each side and cheered Tivs and Hydey off as they walked off the ground and up the race into the rooms.

Not sure if this means both will get a farewell game on Sunday as there's still another training session on Saturday which they could have done this. I guess this was the last session for the year that the whole squad trains together with Coburg playing Saturday and we'll find out either way in a few hours when the team for the Melbourne game is announced.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tivs and Hyde officially farewelled
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 02:41:05 PM »
Looks like you're correct as usual MT, RFC site says Tivs plays his last game on Sunday.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 02:44:54 PM »
Tiger Tenure ends for Tivendale

The Richmond Football Club today announced that Greg Tivendale will play his last game for the Tigers on Sunday in the final match of the season against Melbourne at the MCG.

Tivendale made his AFL debut for Richmond in 1998 after being promoted off the Rookie list. He was recruited from Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup under 18’s competition.

Greg Tivendale has played 187 games and kicked 124 goals for Richmond and was third in the Club Best and Fairest in 2003.

Only four current day Richmond players have played more AFL games than Greg Tivendale - Joel Bowden, Nathan Brown, Kane Johnson and Matthew Richardson. Only Bowden and Richardson have been at Tigerland longer and played more games for the club than Tivendale.

Tivendale played 135 games in a row from Round 19, 1999 to Round 18, 2005. He reached the 150 game milestone, thereby qualifying for Club Life Membership, in the Round 6 ‘Dreamtime at the G’ clash with Essendon during the 2006 season.

“I’d like to think that people would think of me as a good servant of the Richmond Football Club and a good quality player that has done his best for Richmond,” Tivendale said.

”My form has been pretty good this year, so I’m not going to cancel out a chance of going on next year. I’ll put my hat in the ring and see what happens.”

Richmond forward Matthew Richardson said: “Greg has been magnificent for this club over the past decade and he has served as an outstanding role model for the younger players.”

“We have been at the club a long time together and I have really valued the friendship and support Greg has shown me over the last 10 years,” Richardson said.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said: “Greg has been one of the big success stories of the AFL rookie system and his leadership and dedication over the years has been second to none.”

Richmond CEO Steven Wright said: "Greg Tivendale is a life member of our club and he has made a valuable contribution over the years. The Richmond football club wishes him every success for his future."

http://richmondfc.com.au/tabid/6301/default.aspx?newsid=66493
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:09:24 PM »
Good on the RFC. Tivs deserved this farewell game  :clapping. Hopefully he gets some reward in the VFL finals and on Liston trophy night as well.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
This is typical Richmond, why give him a game when you could give a Rance or a Collins a taste of the big time for next year.  No doubt Hyde will be given a run too.
This is exactly why we are stuck in the mire.  Take the emotion from things and do whats best for the long term benefit of the club. NOT the players....
PS Maybe they should give Cogs a run, just in case.....

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:17:50 PM »
This is typical Richmond, why give him a game when you could give a Rance or a Collins a taste of the big time for next year.  No doubt Hyde will be given a run too.
This is exactly why we are stuck in the mire.  Take the emotion from things and do whats best for the long term benefit of the club. NOT the players....

Wow, one game.  It's a make or break on a Collins' or a Rance's career.  :rollin   

I think most clubs outside the 8 have given their retiring players farewell games.  Are they ALL "stuck in a mire" as well?  :whistle
EAT EM ALIVE!

Con65

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:42:40 PM »

Put on some rose coloured glasses...and be nice.

This guy is a loyal servant of the club.  He didnt sook when his card got marked after the adelaide game...just went back to the vfl and played blinding footy...good on him...Well done Tivvers and thanks for the memories...streaming through the centre with that racking left foot...enjoyed watching you alot.  Good luck in the future.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:01:57 PM »
Yep Tivs put the club first and helped provide some experience around the young cubs at Coburg when instead he could have cracked the sooks and retired early on in the year believing he was too good to play VFL. He's also a midfielder so he won't be stopping Rance who is a KPP from playing. Tivs is probably coming in anyway for Edwards who needs one more Coburg game to qualify for the VFL finals.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

This guy is a loyal servant of the club.  He didnt sook when his card got marked after the adelaide game...just went back to the vfl and played blinding footy...good on him...Well done Tivvers and thanks for the memories...streaming through the centre with that racking left foot...enjoyed watching you alot.  Good luck in the future.

Well said Con. Who could forget, him and Leon Cameron in 2001, 2 raking lefties (has there ever been a raking right foot player??) They both had great years that year and when they were hitting their targets, we looked great.
It was probably also the year that he raised people's expectations of him and he never quite fulfilled them, he looked like he was going to be a hurtful goalkicking hf/mid drilling them from 50, that was lost from his game a couple of years later. Anyway, he's been a great servant and in every respect, deserves his farewell from the club in style on Sunday.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
I'll wait for something official before I eulogise Hydey.
Going by MT's report though it looks like it's all over for Hydey at Tigerland  :'(
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »

Well said Con65

Greg Tivendale deserves this game to say goodbye to the faithfully and we the faithfully deserve a chance to say goodbye to him. His loyalty to our club this year is lesson to all players

I have seen most of Coburg's game this year and Tiv has been nothing short of sensational, not just on the playing field but the way he has gone about it. I reckon he has shown the Cubs at Coburg (both CFC & RFC) a lot of leadership (stand around the huddles you'll hear it)

Well done Tiv on setting a great example
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
At the end of training today, the rest of their teammates and coaching staff formed a guard of honour each side and cheered Tivs and Hydey off as they walked off the ground and up the race into the rooms.

If this is the case I am very surprised nothing has been mentioned about Munsta.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
Any chance of keeping Tiv at Coburg?
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 02:06:42 PM »
Any chance of keeping Tiv at Coburg?
Sounds to me like he intends to drop his hat in the draft pool and see if someone picks it up.  If that doesn't work then he might be a candidate but it would all depend how the football dept see the role of Coburg going next year.  That's the upside of us having a fair bit of control over our 'reserves' side.  He might also want too much in the way of $$'s once he's a free agent.  He's still got a lot of upside at the next level down and could do pretty well for himself out in the major domestic comps.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 02:16:29 PM »
Sorry Tiva, hope you get a kick mate.  Is that nice enough for you guys/girls???