Author Topic: Players back Wallace (Herald-Sun)  (Read 4373 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Players back Wallace (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:58:30 AM »
Players back Wallace
Tony Sheahan | September 07, 2008 12:00am

FOUR former players have thrown their support behind Terry Wallace as he enters the final year of his contract as Richmond coach.

Former Western Bulldogs players Luke Darcy, Paul Dimattina and Steve Kretiuk and former Richmond defender Mark Graham said they could not understand why their former coach's future was the subject of such speculation.

"In terms of being an innovator, he was probably better than just about anyone," Darcy said. "His record is just fantastic."

Dimattina agreed: "I've always believed he is a bit of a genius. We were very close to winning Grand Finals in 1997 and '98 and they were probably the most enjoyable years I played in the game. Unfortunately we didn't get over the line, but they were the best years.

"But they would be mad not to (keep him for '09)."

Graham, who spent a decade at Hawthorn before playing a season under Wallace at Richmond in 2005, described him as "sensational", and pointed to the Tigers' inspirational victory over Hawthorn three weeks ago as evidence.

"Tactically, he is certainly switched on, as he showed against Hawthorn," Graham said.

Wallace's power has been diminished at Richmond in recent weeks, with president Garry March recently assessing the club's 2008 season as a five out of 10.

Kretiuk described Wallace's positive energy as his strong suit.

"He can instil belief in a person like few others," Kretiuk said. "I wasn't blessed with talent or speed, but one thing he did was he trusted me to play on the best forwards.

"He would never degrade you in any way and it was about getting you up each week."

Dimattina agreed: "He is a master tactician and he is great at getting the most out of the playing group and the best out of a negative situation. If you were down on form, he would just make you believe.

"He was a bit of a preacher in a way and you believed whatever he said."

Graham, who played 21 of a possible 22 games in his final season as an AFL player with the Tigers, said: "I know first hand the players at Richmond really respect him."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24303869-19742,00.html

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Players back Wallace (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:13:04 AM »
Solidifying article.

It's powder puff but it's a just a bit of a breaker from the negativity.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
Just to keep the rumour mill rolling, I read a post on another forum by a good mate of mine whose credibility I would class as A1.  He has been told that the club are holding a meeting on Tuesday morning, Wallace will be gone and we are having talks with Leigh Matthews.  His direct source was an ex-Richmond player living in Perth (where my mate lives).  Interesting times.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/88248

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 11:38:32 AM »
Hun is a Wallace comic. Don't want him sacked but I wouldn't read too much into that article.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Moi

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »
After an article like that, how could the club get rid of him
These are neutral points of view, ie they wouldn't be getting anything out of it by coming forward

Smokey, I'd be very upset about your rumour, even though I think Matthews is a good coach.  As good as he is, what has Matthews got to aspire to.  He's achieved everything now.  Why would he come to the Tiges knowing we are a rabble off field?  I can't imagine there'd be much incentive (even money) that would entice him to the Tiges.  But stranger things have happened.

I reckon though Matthews is a first class person, knows his stuff and very much respected.

But I'd still have Wallace any day.  If you believe in a person, you don't stray from your loyalty, especially when he's done everything you've asked him to do.

We owe Wallace the chance to fulfil his plan I reckon.

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
Just to keep the rumour mill rolling, I read a post on another forum by a good mate of mine whose credibility I would class as A1.  He has been told that the club are holding a meeting on Tuesday morning, Wallace will be gone and we are having talks with Leigh Matthews.  His direct source was an ex-Richmond player living in Perth (where my mate lives).  Interesting times.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/tiger-talk/message/88248
That would be surprising as Matthews has strongly stated that he will be staying in sunny QLD. I agree that TW should be given the chance to see out his contract, although the circumstances and the way that Matthews quit so suddenly does make me suspicious.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
this whole situation is just getting out of control, such a shame considering the 2nd half of the season which shouldnt have been the kick start needed for 09...

As for leigh Matthews it reeks of the Blighty situation when he went to the saints...

Will this damn club learn...probably not... :banghead

Ox

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 01:16:57 PM »
If wallace goes,which i doubt,we will be,once again,guilty of mutiny at sea.

I blame past egos,a president unable to decipher reality from propaganda and an embarrassing
quality called,"stupidity"

Moi

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »
The stuff coming from the media seems to be in support of Wallace
Be a brave club to sack someone in those circumstances, knowing they'll cop a HUGE backlash
Something Richmond does not need.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 04:45:02 PM »
After an article like that, how could the club get rid of him
These are neutral points of view, ie they wouldn't be getting anything out of it by coming forward

Smokey, I'd be very upset about your rumour, even though I think Matthews is a good coach.  As good as he is, what has Matthews got to aspire to.  He's achieved everything now.  Why would he come to the Tiges knowing we are a rabble off field?  I can't imagine there'd be much incentive (even money) that would entice him to the Tiges.  But stranger things have happened.

I reckon though Matthews is a first class person, knows his stuff and very much respected.

But I'd still have Wallace any day.  If you believe in a person, you don't stray from your loyalty, especially when he's done everything you've asked him to do.

We owe Wallace the chance to fulfil his plan I reckon.

Matthews over Wallace. Are you drunk again MOI.

this guy has won 4 flags and another 4 i think as a player vrs a guy who has not pushed us into the finals in 4 years.

very strange comment.,

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to Tuesday just to hear the end of all these %#&*@%^& rumours.

There are is a very small but posionous group of malcontents that claim to be Tiger supports who demand immediate success from any coach we hire and as a result continue to undermine any basis of future success we can have at Richmond. While other teams supporters fight for unity and rally together to create stability on and off the field, we turn on ourselves and repeatedly die in an sickening orgy of politics and civil hatred.  :chuck

We all want success for the Tigers but we will only get it if we come together, set upon a plan and stick with it until its end.

But just as we seem to be on the right path...enter March and political instability!  :help

I just hope it is just the media's and posionous supporters imaginations for our clubs future sake!  :pray

Stripes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:26:25 PM »
Utter rubbish.  Leigh Matthews wont coach again and especially not next year.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 08:36:11 PM »

As for leigh Matthews it reeks of the Blighty situation when he went to the saints...

Can see the similarity, although I think they are quite different coaches. I never really uderstood what Blight's footy philosophy was. He seemed like a week by week coach whereas Leigh had that run and carry and thump it forward % footy gameplan that worked so well when he had the cattle, and pretty well considering since then.

I reckon Wallace and Blight are actually a pretty similar style of coach - tinkermen and "innovators" ,for better or worse, whereas Leigh is much more singleminded in what he wants. Wallace for me has had trouble implementing a game plan and structure until this season - though that is due in large to the turnover of our list.

I'm not that passionate either way right now on the Wallace issue. I would be surprised if Matthews wants to come south and doubly surprised if he wants to coach in 2009 but he'd be no. 1 in my book out of anyone with experience. We'd need to make a prelim final next season for Wallace to get a contract extension and I think by then the likes of Tambling, Deledio, Foley etc would be primed for a new taskmaster anyway to raise the bar higher. Would be a pretty smooth handover, and if the board get their act together PR wise, with the new facilities, the new operations team, the young list and having given our last two coaches 5 years each, we could make a pretty convincing pitch to the best available coach.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »
this whole situation is just getting out of control, such a shame considering the 2nd half of the season which shouldnt have been the kick start needed for 09...

Will this damn club learn...probably not... :banghead

Spot on 3rogerd, spot on

I have been disappointed in this footy club alot over the last 25 odd years - a helluva lot

But seriously at the moment I am so bitterly disappointed in what is going on it isn't funny....

And when I say "what's going on" it is more about what isn't going on... what appears to be a the lack of unity, the rumour mongering, the out of control egos, the lack of respect .... I could go on and on ...

I know what i'd be doing if I was in charge down there because it is so bloody obvious but no for some it just seems to hard  :banghead

No wonder we are a laughing stock ...  :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Moi

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 09:49:52 PM »
I know what i'd be doing if I was in charge down there because it is so bloody obvious but no for some it just seems to hard  :banghead
Tell us Willie