Author Topic: Is 2011 a fair judgement on the list?  (Read 3766 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Is 2011 a fair judgement on the list?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Ramps, the Brown theory is a sensible option. If we want to be brutal we should really do this with all our older players with the exception of Simmonds, who we can't replace currently, and maybe Richo. Brown, Bowden and Johnson will not be around in 2-3 years so we should be thinking about shoring up our list for the future now.

Stripes

Stripes im no expert, I just come in here to give my opinion and thats it, in the end, it wont make one iota of difference, but If I had a say then Brown would be going up for trade and Johnson would have retired this year. Richo, Bowden and Simmonds will retire at Richmond. Brown is the only player of our senior group that is now tradeable. If we were a ruthless club we would do it and indeed Id suggest we need to do it- for all the reasons mentioned earlier ie. Age of Brown, where we are in the cycle, how far we are away from a proper tilt ... someone at Richmond needs to show some balls and make a hard decision.

I know you're no expert Ramps, no more than me but I agree you on this point. We should show some gonads and attempt to trade away our more senior group to shore up good draft picks for the future. Bowden and Johnson may be worth something and Browny definitely would be. Even players such as Newman, Raines, JON etc could be worth more to our future with trades than to our team now.

It is always a grey emotive subject but I think we need to add to our current batch with quality youth. These older players will not be around when we will be at our peak.

Stripes

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »

These older players will not be around when we will be at our peak.

You are correct and 'largely' I agree with continuing to add youth instead of topping up but don't underestimate the importance today of having these few senior players around for a little while yet.  Just playing kids over and over will not necessarily help (and probably hinder) the full development of the kids to their full potential.  You need a good blend of youth and experience to protect and mentor young players while they learn all the tricks that go with football at the highest level and we have such an unbalanced side that we can ill afford to trade away any more of this experience at the moment.  I think those responsible have done a very good job in the circumstances of allowing as many kids to play as many games as was realistically possible while gradually removing the deadwood from around them but we aren't in a position yet to raze the forest to the ground.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 01:00:26 PM »
Players such as Newman, Tuck and Simmo would fulfill this menior/leadership role for the developing kids and still be around when we are starting to challenge (well Simmo might be gone by this point). Plus it is unlikely that players such as Bowden and Johnson would fetch any trade value so one, and more probably both, would be around to assist regardless.

I just think we need to prepare for the future and continue to shore up our list with quality youth that will be part of our team when we are a legitimate chance to challenge and players such as Browny, Bowden and Johnson do not offer enough positive leadership/experience that could be covered by younger players, to warrant us not at least trying to trade them.

Stripes

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 02:59:26 PM »
Agree to disagree.   :thumbsup

No, no, no Smokey. You are doing it all wrong! Haven't you read other people's posts around here when they have disagreed? You are meant to call me names and swear! This civil, intelligent debating just won't do.  ;)  ;D

Stripes
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:54:33 PM by Stripes »

Ramps

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
you blokes need to fire up  :lol

Offline 2JD

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 03:52:49 PM »

[/quote]

No, no, no Smokey. You are doing it all wrong! Haven't you read other people's posts around here when they have disagreed? You are meant to call me names and swear! This civil, intelligent debating just won't do.  ;)  ;D

Stripes
[/quote]

For a minute there I thought I was on the wrong site lol :)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »

Stripes

Nah, I'm just doing what Kane Johnson does - lead by example.

;D ;D ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
I think we can make a judgement by the end of 09 - Maybe strectchhhhh to 2010 - DAMN straight by 2011 -
Enough excuses and waiting  :banghead !

My opinion, will be very very surprised if we don't make the 8 next year - VERY.
On the priviso we get off to a good start next year to carry on the momentum as well as have a similar good run with injuries again especially Simmo playing nearly all of the H/A season.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 02:24:53 PM »
Here's what the ages of our current list will be at Round 22, 2011  (current number of games).

I've left out Tivs, Hyde, Petts and rookies Howat, Silvester and Cartledge plus Polak who we don't know if he'll ever play again. Obviously there'll be others (oldies and fringe players) who will be gone by 2011 but this is only meant to be a guide for discussion.

36: Richo (276)

33: Bowden (253), Browny (206), Johnson (220), Simmonds (179)

29: Coughlan (83), Newman (133), Tuck (91)
28: McMahon (136)
27: King (33), Moore (46)
26: Schulz (67)
25: Foley (70), Jackson (47), Meyer (17), Pattison (53), Polo (31), Raines (53), Thursfield (40)
24: Casserly (-), Deledio (84), Graham (2), Hughes (16), McGuane (32), Morton (29), Tambling (75), White (38)
23: JON (9)
22: Collard# (1), Collins (-), Connors (8 ), Edwards (32), Gourdis (-), Putt (-), Riewoldt (26)
21: Cotchin (15), Rance (-)
20: 2008 draftees
19: 2009 draftees
18: 2010 draftees

3 years away = add 66 H/A games maximum.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2008, 02:38:03 PM »
That's a bit pessimistic

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
That's a bit pessimistic
Nah. That's why I said H/A (home and away) games instead of just saying games up all. Finals would obviously make the maximum more than 66  :thumbsup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
25: Foley (70), Jackson (47), Meyer (17), Pattison (53), Polo (31), Raines (53), Thursfield (40)
24: Casserly (-), Deledio (84), Graham (2), Hughes (16), McGuane (32), Morton (29), Tambling (75), White (38)

This is clearly the core of the side for the future.

The like of McGaune, Thursfield, Pattison / White, Foley, Tambling, Morton, Polo, Raines etc. is going to be the backbone of the side.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »

This is clearly the core of the side for the future.

The like of McGaune, Thursfield, Pattison / White, Foley, Tambling, Morton, Polo, Raines etc. is going to be the backbone of the side.
Not all of them will make and we need more A-grade star quality but a decent enough and good sized core to build around when you add the Cotchin/Jack group 2-3 years younger. Also shows the importance of the next 2-3 drafts as the second wave needs to complete our list deficiencies - rucks, big key forward and another gun ballwinner or two.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 08:35:45 PM »
Interesting that Gourdis and Putt are noticably older than Rance and Cotchin take in the same draft. I would hope that Putt would become our future Ruckman and Gourdis a KPF but only time will tell. Do you think Browny, Johnson, Bowden and Simmonds will still be there at 33yrs old?

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »
Do you think Browny, Johnson, Bowden and Simmonds will still be there at 33yrs old?
Joel and Sugar will be gone by the end of next year you'd think.

Simmo could still be around as a 33 y.o. ruckman but, as we've seen this year with Everitt (34) and Lade (32), he'd be nearing the end and probably prone to soft-tissue injuries if he was. I'd doubt he could still be our first ruck by 2011.

Browny said he still feels he has got 3-4 years left in him as he's missed a few years of footy due to his broken leg and complications coming back. However, once you get over 30 soft-tissue injuries can end your footy career pretty quickly. He missed the last couple of games with a sore spot in his good leg.

So maybe Browny and Simmo could be around in a couple of years time if they have a mostlly injury free run but I think none of them will. The elder statesmen in 3 years will be Newy and Tucky at 29 y.o IMO.