Author Topic: Official draft day thread  (Read 6214 times)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Official draft day thread
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »
Nice of the media to drop this comment in on an article about Yarran.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,24730256-5016140,00.html
His mother Deb is likely to move across with him to Melbourne after raising Chris with four other children while father Malcolm serves a jail term in Perth.

It would be probably be common knowledge but still  ::)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:42 PM »
RFC - mediocre forever.

To pick only 2 kids is a disgrace.

This club will never learn.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »

We picked 4 kids with 1 more to come.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »

2 kids, 2 recycled with 1 more to come.

Reminds me of the years 2001/2002 when we neglected the draft and got the likes of Blumfield, Nichols, Fleming, etc and neglected youth which unbalanced the age of our list some 7-8 years later.

This club persists with short cut recruiting and never learns.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2008, 10:07:16 PM »
RFC - mediocre forever.

This club will never learn.

Feel free to find another club to support

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »

Reminds me of the years 2001/2002 when we neglected the draft and got the likes of Blumfield, Nichols, Fleming, etc and neglected youth which unbalanced the age of our list some 7-8 years later.

Fleming was 25, Hudson was 32, Nicholls was 24 and Blumfield was 26.  You can't compare the 2 situations - this time our 2 recycled are still kids and they have (potentially) addressed gaps in our list structure.  Unbalancing our list was also caused by picking the wrong kids over those few seasons, not only older top-up players.  The list only maintains it's structure if your kids are good enough to hang around and with this draft I think the club has thought long and deep, and come up with a very good outcome for the longer term.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2008, 10:19:22 AM »

We will pick up another 5-6 untried kids over the December and rookie draft - that will make 7-8 first timers on our list.
Its no longer relevant to judge our drafting on what happens in November, ask Foley, Thursty, Moore and White.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ramps

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2008, 03:09:30 PM »
We need to focus on KPP forwards and finding a goalkicking forward pocket type. We have a pretty balanced list otherwise, we just need some forwards and then to add as much class as possible to the side as time goes on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2008, 08:30:51 PM »

We will pick up another 5-6 untried kids over the December and rookie draft - that will make 7-8 first timers on our list.
Its no longer relevant to judge our drafting on what happens in November, ask Foley, Thursty, Moore and White.
That's true you need to take the whole trade/draft period into account when judging recruiting but even so that's 4 successes out of the past six post-National drafts. Now 4 is better than nothing and they are bonus pick-ups but it's not a return you can rely on long term at the expense of the National draft where you're more likely to find kids who will make it.

IMO with the Gold Coast and Western Sydney about to rip the guts out the National draft from 2010 onwards it is important that we pick up say 6 kids in the 2009 National draft onto top of any rookies so we still have best talented youth we can get our hands on coming through behind the young developing crop we already have. Picking up only 2-3 in 2009 would mean we've only added about 8 kids in 3 drafts. That's not enough when compared to other clubs who will have added say 18 kids in that time. Remember only about a half the kids even the better recruiting clubs draft end up making it. To obtain sustained success you need a list that sustains over time and doesn't end up with age gaps.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 01:37:37 AM »

Unbalance of ages of our list?

22: Jackson (47),  Polo (31), Thomson (28), Thursfield (40), Hughes (16), McGuane (32), Morton (29), Tambling (75)
------------------------------
21: Deledio (84), Graham (2), White (38), JON (9)
20: Hislop (7), Collins (-), Connors (8 ), Edwards (32), Riewoldt (26)
19: Putt (-), Post (-), Rance (-)
18: Cotchin (15), Vickery (-)

22 players under 22yoa or younger, with PSD / rookies to come.

Lots of kids and a fairly good spread I would have though. Don't think it makes a massive differece Thomson and Hislop are 22 and 20 instead of both 18.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »
22 player our of 40 odd under 22 is a great basis for the future I would say. This is before we pick up another 5/6 in the Rookie & PSD too! Add another 10 next year (4 National draft picks & 6 Rookies) and we could have over 3/4 of our list under 23!!! Now that is a great platform to build a premiership from.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2008, 04:59:29 AM »

Unbalance of ages of our list?

22: Jackson (47),  Polo (31), Thomson (28), Thursfield (40), Hughes (16), McGuane (32), Morton (29), Tambling (75)
------------------------------
21: Deledio (84), Graham (2), White (38), JON (9)
20: Hislop (7), Collins (-), Connors (8 ), Edwards (32), Riewoldt (26)
19: Putt (-), Post (-), Rance (-)
18: Cotchin (15), Vickery (-)

22 players under 22yoa or younger, with PSD / rookies to come.

Lots of kids and a fairly good spread I would have though. Don't think it makes a massive differece Thomson and Hislop are 22 and 20 instead of both 18.

I don't think those concerned aren't talking about the next 4-5 years as far as the senior side goes. It's just past that phase when that U22 list will be the core of the side. Remember not all those young cubs will make it and be around in 6 years time. If we were to again pick up only 2-3 kids next year followed by the Gold Coast and Western Sydney draining the best kids of the 2010-12 drafts then we would be exposing our list to the potential risk of thinning out in the middle age bracket come 2014-5. I know it's a long way off and anything can happen in the future but you are really drafting now for then. We need to pick up 5-6 kids in next year's National draft to sustain the youth factory we've got going and to do some smart trading with the new teams in exchange for high picks to keep the best talent arriving at Punt Rd.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2008, 02:01:00 AM »
In 2015 Hislop will be 27.

A 5th round draft pick 18 year old kid would have been 25.

Not a massive difference.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
In 2015 Hislop will be 27.

A 5th round draft pick 18 year old kid would have been 25.

Not a massive difference.

If either or both of them are still around.

It's not just about taking picks, you also have to consider 'knowns' when you can and with Hislop there are 'knowns' in that he can compete at the top level.  The unknown is if he can mature and develop enough to compete regularly enough.  With a 'fresh' pick you don't have that luxury so in the case of a former high pick with some demonstrated form at only 2 years older it becomes a risk management exercise.  The Hislop pick wins every time.