Author Topic: Adam Thomson [merged]  (Read 12220 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Adam Thomson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2008, 06:52:12 AM »

Meyer yes, Polo not so much

I suppose the question is?

Polo > Thomson

If the answer is yes then why trade for Thomson and shop Polo
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2008, 08:48:59 AM »
give them bowden ffs!

Bowden proved you wrong  :lol  :shh

richmondrules

Adam Thomson becomes a Tiger
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2008, 01:14:04 PM »

Ox

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »
give them bowden ffs!

Bowden proved you wrong  :lol  :shh

ur love of bowden shows ur lack of ability to grasp reality.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:53:00 PM by one-eyed »

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
Officially a Tiger for pick 42 according to AFL website !!!!!
Welcome to Tigerland son...

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »
Yes welcome to another 10 years of not palying finals.

trades like this are the reason we dont play finals.

you blind idiots cant see it and that is really sad.

The hawks are where they are because they mostly traded out players not traded in duds

we are stuffed.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »

Meyer yes, Polo not so much

I suppose the question is?

Polo > Thomson

Thomson - pick #11
Polo - pick #20

good to have both.

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2008, 01:58:18 PM »
Dont think draft pick 42 in all seriousness is going to net us a premiership player. Long as we keep first two picks we are going along OK.  If we can get Ziebell with 8 and then Roughead/Trengrove or Rockliff with 26 I will be stoked !!!!!!! Although Rockliff may have been available at 42 which somehow agree's with your argument.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »

The hawks are where they are because they mostly traded out players not traded in duds

we are stuffed.

Dude its a 3rd round pick for a 22 year old.

Chill the stuff out.

Hawks have traded for many hacks - Gilham, Guerra, Dew etc.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »

Last year's draft was not deep at all but pick 19 in 2007 is the equivalent of pick 40 in this years draft. You should have a look at some players drafted around the pick 42 mark. Last year Chris Mayne pick 40- Great Player. Bachar houli, Robbie Warnock, Jesse Smith all around 42

Yes its hit and miss but its better than a player who cant even get a game with a bottom 4 side.

How is it better?  Just to help show how much hit and miss it really is, here are some players that have gone over 40 in recent years:

01 - Jarrad Waite 46, Andrew Welsh 47, Brad Miller 55, Paul Medhurst 56, Dane Swan 58, Adam Schneider 60, Brian Lake 71.
02 - Adam Selwood 53, Ryan Crowley 55, Robert Shirley 56, Nick Malceski 64, Brad Fisher 72.
03 - Amon Buchanan 45, Michael Pettigrew 46, Sam Fisher 55, Michael Rischetelli 61, Shane Tuck 73.
04 - Justin SHerman 45, Simon Taylor 53, Chris Knights 56, Mathew Egan 62, Daniel Pratt 74.
05 - Ryan Gamble 47, Joel Patfull 56, Clint Bartram 60, Mathew Stokes 61.
06 - Karl Reimers 47, Lindsay Thomas 53, Josh Hill 61, Tyson Goldsack 63, Justin Westhoff 71.

And here are some household names that all went under 30:

01 - Luke Molan 9, Ashley Watson 14, Daniel Elstone 20, Aaron Rogers 26, Tom Davidson 27, Mark Powell 28.
02 - Tim Walsh 4, Nick Smith 15, Kris Shore 18, Bo Nixon 21, Callam Urch 25, Darren Walsh 27, Luke Shackleton 29.
03 - David Trotter 9, Fergus Watts 14, Josh Willoughby 16, Billy Morrison 17, Llane Spaanderman 18, Daniel McConnell 26.
04 - John Meeson 8, Ryan Willetts 19, Jesse Wells 22, Matthew Little 26, Patrick Garner 27, Chad Gibson 28.

So really, whether we used pick 42 or 52 or 62 or 72 doesn't really make 2 parts of 5/8ths of stuff-all difference.  It is soooooo hit and miss, especially when you get up into the 40+ area, that taking a ready to go ex-pick 11 is less of a gamble than taking an untried 18 year old.  And to demonstrate what I mean, I will use the much vexed name of David Rodan.  Wasn't going to get a go at Richmond (by his own admission) and when given a change of environment was able to apply himself successfully.  Or should I mention the name Mitch Morton?  Give the guy a chance before you condemn him.

Why cant we just effin once keep the picks and actually put more money and focus on picking the right player.

See above.  Because sometimes that isn't the smartest thing to do.

We will be drafting another player with bad foot skills. 05 it was graham, in 06 it was Kingsley. 07 it was jordy.

None of those players had/have bad foot skills to my knowledge.  I know you will blow off about McMahon but his foot skills are better than most in the team and certainly better than others that you would not consider ditching (Richo, Tuck, McGuane to name a few).  All were recruited for a specific purpose and 2 of them have filled that purpose - 1 very well and 1 average/good (so far).  2 of them were recruited at minimal cost.  2 wins and 1 minimum cost failure does not constitute a history of bad decisions.

We will never effin learn

Different year same result.

I fear it is you who will never learn.  Go outside and have a look upwards - tell me if the sky is any closer to falling on your head today than it was yesterday or will be tomorrow.  No, its not falling in and our club will not live or die by our decision to trade pick 42 for Adam Thompson.  Those at the club who are paid to make these decisions have a plan and a target result and are privy to much more information on which to base their decision regarding the potential risk vs benefit outcome, and all we can do as supporters is trust their decision and then judge in hindsight.  Until then, save yourself from a heart attack and save us all from the repeat ramblings of your opinion.  You are entitled to it just like us but we don't need to hear it in every post, every time.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2008, 02:26:28 PM »
Dont think draft pick 42 in all seriousness is going to net us a premiership player. Long as we keep first two picks we are going along OK.  If we can get Ziebell with 8 and then Roughead/Trengrove or Rockliff with 26 I will be stoked !!!!!!! Although Rockliff may have been available at 42 which somehow agree's with your argument.

I would agree.

Ziebell / Sidebottom / Hartlett / Yarren @ 8 = another promising midfeild type to thow into the bunch. Aka reckons you can never have too many mids.

- Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Coughlan, Tambling, Tuck, White would be the long term core you would think.

Then toy have a '2nd tier' of - Ziebell, Connors, Morton, Edwards, Raines, Thompson, Polo, Meyer etc.

Outside Cogs & Tuck its a under 23 side.

Ramps

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2008, 02:33:01 PM »
Officially a Tiger for pick 42 according to AFL website !!!!!
Welcome to Tigerland son...

Good result for us I reckon. Its good that Meyer is still with us to and not part of the Thomson trade. I hope both these two lads have great careers at Richmond.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
New recruit delighted with trade

RICHMOND recruit Adam Thomson says he can’t wait to start his new life as a Tiger.

Thomson, 22, managed just 28 games in four years with Port Adelaide and was lured to Punt Rd with the promise of greater opportunity.

“Port’s a good club with some great players and Choco’s a great coach I just had to move on to get an opportunity at AFL level,” he said.

“There were a few clubs we met with but we chose the Tigers because of the playing group coming through.

“They’ve got a good future and I think they won eight of their last 11 games, so that’s good.”

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68826
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »

He's a bit of a Patto look-a-like
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »

we are stuffed.

those 3 are premiership players my friend

Dude its a 3rd round pick for a 22 year old.

Chill the eff out.
Hawks have traded for many hacks - Gilham, Guerra, Dew etc.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 06:54:07 PM by one-eyed »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.