Author Topic: Adam Thomson [merged]  (Read 12203 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Adam Thomson [merged]
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:37:46 PM »
Adam Thompson of Port has asked to be traded after limited opportunity.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494303
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:10:24 PM by one-eyed »

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Adam Thomson
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »

I hope we already know about this.  Could be a bargain buy if we play our cards right.  Tough as nails and would bring real tackling ability to the team.

At least worth enquiring about imo.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Ramps

Adam Thomson
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:40:51 PM »

I hope we already know about this.  Could be a bargain buy if we play our cards right.  Tough as nails and would bring real tackling ability to the team.

At least worth enquiring about imo.

Ive raised the Issue of Thomson plenty times before on the forum, my opinion is that I think that whilst his kicking isnt the best (this was the big issue raised against him being sought by other posters), that he could be turned into a very very decent run with/tagger type player. As you said, tough as nails, good tackling ability, good pace for a run with player. Also would bring in another in and under option.

Id have Thomson in before blokes like King and afew others who are currently on our list.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Adam Thomson
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 07:47:16 PM »
Pass. Modern footy is a good kicking skills game especially under pressure. We don't need anymore dud kicks. If you couldn't get a game at Port this year there's something wrong.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Adam Thomson
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:37:24 AM »
Midfielder keen to leave Port
Michael Gleeson | September 16, 2008

PORT ADELAIDE midfielder Adam Thomson has told the Power he wants to be traded, most likely to Victoria, and several clubs are interested in the uncontracted former first-round draft pick.

After managing only seven games in Port’s horrid year, Thomson, taken with pick 11 in the 2004 national draft, has said he wants out.

‘‘We are pretty disappointed because we have put a fair bit of work into him since taking him as a firstround draft pick,’’ Port football manager Peter Rohde said.

‘‘We have rated him but he just hasn’t been able to get much of a go because, even though we did not win a lot of games this year, our midfield has actually been quite strong, with (Steven) Salopek and (Travis) Boak having really good years and then the Burgoynes (Peter and Shaun). He has not been delisted. He has asked to be traded and I would imagine he will get a contract again with us if a trade does not work out.

‘‘We would be reluctant to lose him but he is out of contract and wants a trade, so we are not in a strong position to do much about it.’’

Rohde said discussions would be held with several clubs later in the week.

Geelong small forward Shannon Byrnes is out of contract but as yet has not declared whether he wishes to consider a move.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/midfielder-keen-to-leave-port/2008/09/15/1221330747367.html

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Adam Thomson
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:23:15 AM »
Pass. Modern footy is a good kicking skills game especially under pressure. We don't need anymore dud kicks. If you couldn't get a game at Port this year there's something wrong.

Mitch Morton wasn't getting a game at West Coast

Ox

Adam Thomson
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »
Adam Thomson should get a job on the docks....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Adam Thomson
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »
Thank goodness Mundy stayed at Freo. Stops us from doing anything silly like trading a good pick for a player type we already have too many of.

LOL at the Bombers wanting a first round pick in return for Lovett. Talk about dreaming.

True Gracie but Mitch was always a good kick  :thumbsup. Thomson is a goer but can't kick. Think of a slower version of Jake King. Other clubs will be very interested but we shouldn't be IMO.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
Adam Thomson
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:29 AM »
Thank goodness Mundy stayed at Freo. Stops us from doing anything silly like trading a good pick for a player type we already have too many of.

LOL at the Bombers wanting a first round pick in return for Lovett. Talk about dreaming.

True Gracie but Mitch was always a good kick  :thumbsup. Thomson is a goer but can't kick. Think of a slower version of Jake King. Other clubs will be very interested but we shouldn't be IMO.

What are you basing the cant kick claim on? The Port websites I read said little about any kicking deficiency, they did mention the pace issue. They also talked about how good an in and under player he is and he has strong abilty to extract the ball. No 1 in clearances in the AFL for time on ground

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Adam Thomson
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 09:38:10 PM »

What are you basing the cant kick claim on? The Port websites I read said little about any kicking deficiency, they did mention the pace issue. They also talked about how good an in and under player he is and he has strong abilty to extract the ball. No 1 in clearances in the AFL for time on ground
Port fans I know and from Port games I've seen him play in. He handballs almost twice as much than he kicks because of it.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
Adam Thomson
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »

Port fans I know and from Port games I've seen him play in. He handballs almost twice as much than he kicks because of it.

Or does he handball twice as much as he kicks as he is on the ground getting the ball out???

I don't know I haven't seen him myself just relying on internet posts

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Adam Thompson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 04:40:43 AM »
Port Adelaide midfielder Adam Thompson appears likely to be snapped up by Richmond after North Melbourne showed interest in the midfielder, who was originally a first-round selection, at No11 overall, in the 2004 national draft.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24443021-5012432,00.html

Ramps

Re: Adam Thompson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »
Port Adelaide midfielder Adam Thompson appears likely to be snapped up by Richmond after North Melbourne showed interest in the midfielder, who was originally a first-round selection, at No11 overall, in the 2004 national draft.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24443021-5012432,00.html

I know people dont rate him but I feel he could be a good run with player/shut down type of player. He wont cost alot and Johnson is probably 12 months from retirement ... depending on the deal (pick 58) should just about do it.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Adam Thomson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
Dont think we need taggers with Jackson & Polo still in the side ????????????????????????
4th round pick only nothing more. 

Ramps

Re: Adam Thomson likely to become a Tiger
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 10:13:42 AM »
Dont think we need taggers with Jackson & Polo still in the side ????????????????????????
4th round pick only nothing more. 

Lots of rumours around that Polo is on the outer.