Author Topic: Gourdis, Cartledge, Collard and Howat gone / List lodgement (Friday 2pm)  (Read 10928 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Gourdis, Cartledge, Collard and Howat gone / List lodgement (Friday 2pm)
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 05:48:22 PM »
Unbelievable, why on earth would you give up on a kid like Gourdis so soon yet keep Pettifer?
He'd shown pretty good promise at Coburg and earnt his was into the Coburg Seniors, Putt only barely did more than him

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 06:17:13 PM »
I'm gobsmacked by Silvester but don't be surprised to see Collard be re-rookied and Cartledge be drafted with our last pick (or in the PSD).  I still have a feeling he will be our fallback if we don't get what we want from the draft.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 06:47:12 PM »
Ditto smokey on Silvester. Absolutely gobsmacked given we have 4 younger key defenders ahead of him. Are we just keeping him for Coburg's sake  ???.

It seems the rumour that Collard came back to preseason training unfit must be true. A waste of natural footy talent sadly.

The other Petts rumour must be garbage though. The only explanation he is still around at 27 and with a ACL injury must be financial  :-\.

Seems as though birdies were right

Collard howat cartelage all gone sylvester stays as a mature rookie

This means we have 4 picks in ND and 3 + 2 = 5 rookie picks

9 new faces at punt road next year.

Believe Gourdis will be re-drafted as a rookie, if he lasts to our later rookie list picks.

Well done blaisee. Good get  :clapping.

For those shocked about Gourdis being delisted - unfortunately he was nowhere near the level some on the net claimed he was this time last year. As wayne said some people had Gourdis going even as high as around our pick 18 in the 2008 draft which gave a false impression to those who hadn't seen him play. Dave attracted recruiters attention because of his size and athleticism for his size but as a footballer he is a project player at best and it makes sense to put him on the rookie list if he's still around late in the rookie draft and we don't find anyone else better than him. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 07:11:08 PM »
Id rather we have kept players like Meyer and Gourdis and flung Pettifer & King and afew others. Anyway they made there decisions so theres nothing we can do.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 08:01:18 PM »
Meyer is, or rather was, a list clogger. As it was the club held him to long. Kudos to the club for having the guts to put a bullet in him.

Pettifer was never going to be delisted, it isn't considered "good form" to offload players in his type of injury situation. You only needed to look at the way Rory Hilton was handled to understand that pettifer was going nowhere. Same with Polak.

Silvester must be insurance for something.

The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 08:06:09 PM »
 :banghead :banghead :banghead

Not sure what i am more angry about , Gourdis going or Sylvester staying...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »
Id rather we have kept players like Meyer and Gourdis and flung Pettifer & King and afew others. Anyway they made there decisions so theres nothing we can do.
Both Petts (knee reco) and King (ankle reco) have long-term injuries. Perhaps that explains it. Other clubs could afford to offload them and pay for their rehab but it's financially cheaper for us to keep them  :-\.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »
Both Petts (knee reco) and King (ankle reco) have long-term injuries. Perhaps that explains it. Other clubs could afford to offload them and pay for their rehab but it's financially cheaper for us to keep them  :-\.

Baffling decision we'd go in with basically two less players of quality on our list.
On the down side if we get a swag of injuries at the start of next year would King and Petts be ready to play and if not would we be able to promote a rookie to the senior list?
Why would you delist an 18 yo for the sake of keeping an injured 27 yo on the list. ::)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »
Why would you delist an 18 yo for the sake of keeping an injured 27 yo on the list. ::)

id say it prob sizes up the opinion on Goo, unforunatley it's not a good sign for a player to spend the season locked into the thirds where he still didnt feature in the best often enough...i would have reasonably thought a likely type would be killing it at that level, similar to what collard did...that is the perplexing one
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 10:16:53 PM »
 ???

I share all the confusion that most of you have expressed with these decisions.

Gourdis was always going to be a project player and we knew he would take time to develop the appropriate skills to match his extrordinary athletism and size. So why would you get rid of him after just one season??? We picked the kid up with our No 1 PSD pick so do we put this down to another wasted draft choice then?!

I just can't understand the decision especially with Silvester retained. I saw his efforts in the first 2008 pre-season game against the Saints and he was woeful. Too slow, not enough awareness and miles from even looking like he could compete at AFL level. With players like McGuane, Thursty, Moore, Schulz and Rance well ahead of him I think the decision is rediculous. Why would you keep him as insurance when we have so many ahead of him but delist Cartledge when we have so few ruck options?

With Petts and King unlikely to every see game time again the decision to keep them are equally perplexing.

Stripes

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 11:47:32 PM »
Pettifer was never going to be delisted, it isn't considered "good form" to offload players in his type of injury situation. You only needed to look at the way Rory Hilton was handled to understand that pettifer was going nowhere. Same with Polak.
We couldn't afford to delist Hilton as we were broke, we have made million dollar profits for the last three years so money shouldn't be dictating our delistings any more. We need to retain youth to let them prove themselves, not get rid of them cause they were forced to play a position that they never did as a junior and then didn't adapt in one year, even if they earned a spot at a higher level before his first 12 months was up.

Ridiculous and really upsetting that the club is making such short term decisions. We are looking at a mass exodus of players next year. It's beginning to look like list management by Fraudley Mk II.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »

Baffling decision we'd go in with basically two less players of quality on our list.
On the down side if we get a swag of injuries at the start of next year would King and Petts be ready to play and if not would we be able to promote a rookie to the senior list?
To me it's the RFC still being concerned about its finances or lack of which then affects list decisions  :P. If Petts hadn't done his knee he would've been a good chance of being gone/traded as he was out of contract. Doing a knee is like any workplace injury so as his employer when the injury occurred the RFC pay the money towards his rehab (I think it's under the AFLPA CBA). So we might as well keep him on our list as we would be paying him anyway.

As for being 2 down on our list there's Polak as well so that's effectively 3 down although Kingy with an ankle may be okay to play by round 1. ACL's take around 12 months to get over so as Petts did his with a month of the season to go his 2009 will be effectively written off. The new rookie rules will mean we can designate one rookie who can be promoted to the senior list halfway through the year without needing someone to go onto the LTIL. Polak's situation will allow him to go onto the LTIL immediately so that's 2 free rookies. It still doesn't make sense to keep Silvester (a full back) even if was to fill in for Polak or Petts both forwards  ???.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2008, 12:13:39 AM »
We couldn't afford to delist Hilton as we were broke, we have made million dollar profits for the last three years so money shouldn't be dictating our delistings any more. We need to retain youth to let them prove themselves, not get rid of them cause they were forced to play a position that they never did as a junior and then didn't adapt in one year, even if they earned a spot at a higher level before his first 12 months was up.

Ridiculous and really upsetting that the club is making such short term decisions. We are looking at a mass exodus of players next year. It's beginning to look like list management by Fraudley Mk II.
With 6 rookie spots Gourdis may still end up on our rookie list (we grabbed him in the PSD so no other club got him) but I agree we are shooting ourselves in the foot if list management decisions are being based and dictated by finances. It's the non-delistings that are more perplexing for me than the delistings :-\.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2008, 12:15:13 AM »
what are Richmond doing?

Why Gourdis?

Why Collard?

i do not understand why Richmond are soft in not delisting players like Kayne Pettifer, yet delist Gourdis who has only been at Richmond for 1 year?

Collard i would of kept and the other three got rid of!

Gourdis is a TALL FORWARD RICHMOND! something we "buddy" need!

and i too agree that Danny Meyer should of been kept!

i sometimes ask myself if the Richmond coaching commitee actually watch the same matches Richmond play?

Kayne Pettifer was good in 2005 and 2006, but after that, got a massive big head, never runs, never tackles, never chases, no team 1 percenters, makes silly decisions! Kayne is a list clogger! Kayne playing 109 matches for Richmond just tells me how bad Richmond are! sorry Kayne fans! i hope he proves me wrong, yet i do not think so!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2008, 04:15:12 AM »
Delistings based on output:

Tivs (ret.) 188 games in 11 years
Hyde          93 games in 8 years
Howat#      21 games in 3 years
Meyer         17 games in 4 years
Cartledge#   3 games in 1 year
Casserly       0 games in 3 years
Collard#       0 games in 1 year
Gourdis        0 games in 1 year

Only Tivs at 17 games per year averaged over half a season per year.