Author Topic: NAB Cup 2009: Freo at Subi  (Read 15853 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: NAB Cup 2009: Freo at Subi
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »
Contact between Fremantle's Antoni Grover and Richmond's Dean Polo from the third quarter of Sunday's game was assessed.

It was the view of the panel that Grover contested the ball in a marking contest, with the aim to spoil the ball. Grover made contact with the ball in the first instance, before following through and making contact with Polo. The Panel deemed the action to be a legitimate spoil and no further action was required.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=72170

you're kidding me. Grover had eyes for the man and not the ball, he was no where near the "marking contest"

And they wonder why people are like this  :banghead and think the system is screwed

I don't know why everyone bags Gus and says how he will never make it, I thought his tap work was excellent. I really focused on watching him and I thought he actually tapped the ball to our midfielders more than Simmo did.

You had the advantage of actually being at the ground, WAT so you probably saw a bit more than me but on what I saw on the TV I was pretty disappointed.

Gus for the most part was up against Kepler Braddley and really struggled around the ground. Simmonds seemed to take on Sandilands. As for his tap work - gee I dont' know but alot of them on the tellie looked like they went either to the advantage of the opposition or to a contest

As I said better to watch these things ive then on a replay so I reserver judgement wait and see
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »
Greenberg trivia:

Chris Newman, Nathan Brown and Jay Schulz were the sole survivors from our previous preseason win in 2004.

http://richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/default.aspx?newsid=72176

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2009, 09:23:58 PM »
Last night's game confirmed that finals are no certainty.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »
Last night's game confirmed that finals are no certainty.
Give me a break, Round 1 of the NAB Cup means jack poo
We've only had one practise match all preseason, they were always going to be a bit rusty

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »
Last night wasnt pretty but it showed to me that the young guys have matured some what.  This time last year and the few years before that if they were behind by that much at half time it would have been all over.  It was an ugly scrape through but at least they fought it out. Lets see how we go against Collingwood in two weeks, that should give us a better idea of where we are at.

Also i was looking at the stats on the AFL site but one thing it is missing is game time, i know Tambling was taken off and interchanged with Post but what about Shultz and some of the others that have low stats, is there a better site to get this information?

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
you're kidding me. Grover had eyes for the man and not the ball, he was no where near the "marking contest"

And they wonder why people are like this  :banghead and think the system is screwed

I think WP when they said ball they meant eyeball as in Polo's  ::).

Very pleased with Polo's games although I was surprised with his stats showing so many handballs, still on a couple of occasions he went in very hard and I thought his game was very good.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
The tribunal makes it up as they go. One week the head is sacrosant and next it isn't. Grover's clench fist from the front was worse than Maxwell's hip and shoulder but because Polo only copped a cut rather than a broken jaw it's all okay  ???.

Also i was looking at the stats on the AFL site but one thing it is missing is game time, i know Tambling was taken off and interchanged with Post but what about Shultz and some of the others that have low stats, is there a better site to get this information?
The Herald-Sun usually includes gametime in their stats in the hardcopy paper version but not the online version. Maybe someone here who still has Monday's Herald-Sun could post gametimes.

The online stats are here:
http://superstats.heraldsun.com.au/gamestatslive/5014366.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Moore happy to get result in Perth (RFC)
« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:49 PM »
Moore happy to get result in Perth
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
6:21 PM Thu 19 February, 2009

DEFENDER Kel Moore says the excitement of finally playing competitive footy again got the better of Richmond on the weekend and almost cost them the game.

The Tigers snuck over the line by less than a goal against Fremantle at Subiaco on Sunday afternoon, but Moore said the team wasn't worried by the performance.

"Not too bad, considering it was our first main hit-out," he said after training on Thursday.

"I think a few boys were pretty sore because it was a pretty physical game, but it was good. We feel pretty good now.

"Everyone was just a bit excited.

"It was our first real game, and everyone just wanted to get their hands on the ball.

"It was pretty slippery out there, because it was pretty hot and humid, but we came out in the second half and we played the way we really wanted to play, and ended up getting the result.

"You do all this training over pre-season, and it was just good being out there playing against another team rather than an intra-club game.

"It was scrappy, but in the end we got the result we were after.

"Full credit to Fremantle, they played really well and they've obviously had a good pre-season as well, and they were very physical out there.

The 24-year-old said he was amazed by the match-winning efforts of Matthew Richardson, who is nine years older than the defender.

"He keeps amazing us with what he can do – he just keeps running," Moore said.

"He's a match winner, and I think that's pretty much why we won on the weekend.

"He's had a great pre-season as well, and he just showed what he can do."

At the other end of the experience spectrum, quicksilver small forward Robin Nahas, taken with Richmond's first pick in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft, showed good signs.

"We do have a lot of young guys that have just come in that are very exciting for the club.

"Little Nahas, he's something that the club hasn't had much of in the past, and when he gets his hands on the ball, nine times out of 10 it is probably a goal."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=72331

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2009, 11:05:59 PM »
Inside Football ratings for the Freo game

BOWDEN, Joel               Gathered usual 20 touches and was a handy contributor.                           6

BROWN, Nathan             Fine effort with 21 touches and three goals. Looks in good touch.             7

COLLINS, Andrew         Only the five touches and didn't see game time until very late                  1

DELEDIO, Brett              Had 29 possessions in a fine effort. Vital cog all night.                           7

EDWARDS, Shane          Even effort all night. Looked dangerous at times.                                     5

FOLEY, Nathan               Got plenty of the footy and close to best onballer on the night.                7

GRAHAM, Angus           Had five handballs and 11 hitouts. Should get more time.                          2

HISLOP, Tom                  Only the eight touches but did a couple of nice things                               3

HUGHES, Cleve             Quiet night up forward. Kicked a goal and that was about it                     3

JACKSON, Daniel         Among the best. Looks to have gone on from a solid 2008 season.              6

McGUANE, Luke           Did what he was asked to in defence. Nice start to season.                           5

MOORE, Kelvin            Not many touches and spent time on the bench                                             3

MORTON, Mitch          Kicked three handy goals and was lively inside 50. Good start to the year   6

NAHAS, Robin              Hardly sighted and watched on a lot from the pine.                                     1

NEWMAN, Chris           First game as skipper netted 18 possessions. Found Hill a handful late   6

POLO, Dean                    Used ball by hand a lot (14 handballs) and was in and under all night   6

POST, Jayden                  First gamer who was used sparingly.                                                          2

RAINES, Andrew           Comeback match a beauty - 27 touches and great run all game                     7

RICHARDSON, Matt      Kicked match winning goals and dragged down game saving mark              8

RIEWOLDT, Jack           Big game netted 21 possessions, 10 marks and two goals. Set up late goal  7

SCHULZ, Jay                  Only had the one kick and never a factor.                                                      1

SILVESTER, Jarrod        Had eight touches off the bench. Not the worst.                                            3

SIMMONDS, Troy          Found Sandilands a handful at stoppages but battled away around ground.  5

TAMBLlNG, Richard      Quiet night from. Couldn't get into the game when given a run.                    2

TUCK, Shane                   Played usual game in the middle. Toiled away to be among the best.          6

WHITE, Matt                    Nipped in and out of the.game but never a huge factor                                3

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2009, 11:15:20 PM »
Ta for that cyclops. :)

Offline tiogar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #205 on: February 20, 2009, 10:18:56 AM »
Cheers Cyclops.

A win is a win. It sets up the magpies. it is good for membership. it is game time. It is WINNING which is wht the greatest sports club in Australia should be about.

G'arn The Tiger.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #206 on: February 20, 2009, 02:26:57 PM »
Just a heads up that a replay of the Freo game is on Foxtel from 2.30pm to 4.30pm.

AFL: NAB Cup
Fremantle vs Richmond
Friday Feb 20
2.30pm
502 Foxsports 2

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #207 on: February 20, 2009, 04:17:24 PM »
Does anyone know if a team has kicked 5 super goals in a game and lost before?
Unleash the tornado

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #208 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:26 PM »
Does anyone know if a team has kicked 5 super goals in a game and lost before?
I don't believe so mat. I think 5 supergoals is the record.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #209 on: February 20, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
I just read that the free kicks in the game were even.

I couldn't believe it, it felt like we were given an absolute hiding in this department.  I suppose it was how the frees seemed to advantage the shockers the most with the number of goals they got directly from frees.  I am still of the opinion the 50/50's went terribly against us though.