Author Topic: Tom Hislop [merged]  (Read 20144 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom Hislop [merged]
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:26:33 AM »
DISCARDED Essendon midfielder Tom Hislop could rejuvenate his AFL career, with the former high draft pick back training with the club and being courted by several suitors. Hislop was pick No. 20 in the strong 2006 draft, but was delisted late last month following repeated disciplinary breaches.

It is understood several Melbourne clubs, and at least one interstate, have asked Hislop to train with them.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24626355-19742,00.html

I wonder if one of those clubs is us?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:37:20 AM by one-eyed »

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Any interest in Tom Hislop?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:07:33 AM »
As a rookie I'd take him in the blink of an eye.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »
Not too sure with the reported repeat discipline and injury problems.

However he is still young and I would have to leave it up to those who know better without venturing a strong opinion either way.

Although, our midfield would have to be almost covered now with Thompson, Cotch and the possibility of Pick 8( ;D) being added to the midfield in recent times.  Has to be almost time to start working on rucks and KPP forwards.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »
Not too sure with the reported repeat discipline and injury problems.

However he is still young and I would have to leave it up to those who know better without venturing a strong opinion either way.

Although, our midfield would have to be almost covered now with Thompson, Cotch and the possibility of Pick 8( ;D) being added to the midfield in recent times.  Has to be almost time to start working on rucks and KPP forwards.

I actually think the time for focusing on rucks and KPP isn't soon..it's now starting with pick 8! All comes down to the best available player or best player available to fill a certain position argument.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 09:38:51 PM »
We're putting together a pretty tight-knit group of young players. No need to add someone with poor discipline given we've offloaded two in the past 12 months despite some natural footy talent.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 09:47:36 PM »
We're putting together a pretty tight-knit group of young players. No need to add someone with poor discipline given we've offloaded two in the past 12 months despite some natural footy talent.

To quote a recent and well know ex coach of ours "AH Yeah Nah"
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:23:55 PM »
Maybe a moot point anyway
http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=69782

Hislop could return to Bombers
THE 2006 draft was seen as one of the best of all time but one of the top 20, Tom Hislop finds himself on the market once again. Hislop was delisted by Essendon after just two years on the list. He was reportedly set to train with another Melbourne-based club before Bombers coach Matthew Knights gave him another chance at Windy Hill. Hislop will train with Essendon and could be picked up again on the rookie list.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 09:19:02 PM »
Has he nominated for both the ND & PSD.

If so, you'd think he'd be a chance to go as a late ND choice.

If not, the Dees should be all over him to take #1 PSD to team with Brock Maclean.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 10:05:52 PM »
Has he nominated for both the ND & PSD.

If so, you'd think he'd be a chance to go as a late ND choice.

If not, the Dees should be all over him to take #1 PSD to team with Brock Maclean.

I'm sure the bombers would not have delisted him if they thought he was a serious player. They're not that stupid.
I'd leave that one alone.
Why is Brad Hodge not in the Aust team?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
The Bombers have ruled out redrafting Hislop and he's no longer training we them.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=70005

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »
Knighter is a strong advocate of promoting young talent, there must be a very very good reason why a top draft choice has been cut.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 12:44:26 PM »
Tom Hislop - No :)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hislop a Tiger?
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:24 AM »
From the Age.....

Delisted Essendon midfielder Tom Hislop, a casualty of the Bombers' tough stance on player behaviour, is certain to be picked up in Saturday's draft after it emerged yesterday that he had placed a price on his head.

Hislop, 20, was delisted after just two years — more for some wayward behaviour than his football ability.

He has attracted interest from Richmond, St Kilda, Geelong, Fremantle and Port Adelaide.

Hislop is the only "category two" player in the pool the national draft, meaning that he is the sole player to have nominated terms and conditions that must be met by the club that selects him.

Hislop's terms are for a two-year contract and more than the minimum base payments.

In practice, this means that at least one club has guaranteed that it will take him. While Geelong is believed to have interviewed Hislop, the Cats' tight salary cap — they can barely afford any player who is above minimum rates — means they might struggle to accommodate a player who played only three senior games in his first two season of league football.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/hip-surgery-sidelines-hawk/2008/11/27/1227491737978.html

The AFL has highlight footage of Hislop...
http://bigpondvideo.com/AFLTV/90877

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:30:47 AM »
Hmmm interesting.  I really have no idea but if I had a punt I would go the Saints as they now are not getting Cousins.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 10:37:28 AM »
Well he would fit in very nicely at the Saints.  ;)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.