Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 314883 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #810 on: April 29, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
The problem with Vickery, Griffiths, Astbury and perhaps Elton is that, while they have the tools, they lack the desperation and urgency to make a contest theirs.

Not sure you can teach or develop that.
Griff was on top of the 1%s at Richmond after round 1. You need desperation and preparedness to have multiple efforts in a contest to get these stats.

I think we should play Ty, Ben and Jack in the forward line all together and give them all an area to roam in. They are all mobile and will stretch any defence. Put a few of our smalls front and centre and we have avery capable forward line. I'd play Ty close to the goal square and the other two a little further our on either flank.

Elton should be developed as a CHB who can play on the opposition talls. I say that because his goal kicking is not reliable and rather than waste time trying to improve something that may never be reliable under extreme pressure, cut our losses and use his athleticism to run off the opposition tall forwards.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #811 on: April 29, 2013, 11:11:06 PM »
The problem with Vickery, Griffiths, Astbury and perhaps Elton is that, while they have the tools, they lack the desperation and urgency to make a contest theirs.

When Coburg were getting flogged Griffiths would still run at full pelt and make a diving punch against a Kosi type from his full back postion several times. He has g00lys.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #812 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:20 PM »
As predicted Ty vickery recorded votes from both coaches 5 in total for the coaches award for last weeks performance .

the claw

« Reply #813 on: April 30, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »

Griff was on top of the 1%s at Richmond after round 1. You need desperation and preparedness to have multiple efforts in a contest to get these stats.

I think we should play Ty, Ben and Jack in the forward line all together and give them all an area to roam in. They are all mobile and will stretch any defence. Put a few of our smalls front and centre and we have avery capable forward line. I'd play Ty close to the goal square and the other two a little further our on either flank.

Elton should be developed as a CHB who can play on the opposition talls. I say that because his goal kicking is not reliable and rather than waste time trying to improve something that may never be reliable under extreme pressure, cut our losses and use his athleticism to run off the opposition tall forwards.
ya know what and ive said this before. if we take a forrward lin the draft lets develop him as a forward. if we take a ruckman lets develop him as a ruckman . if we take a defender ffs develop him as a defender.
apert from riewoldt who was an outstanding chf  who we play at ff most of the time we have failed to actually draft to needs with talls.
im sick to death of this bull poo.

todd elton was taken primarily as a kpf who could ruck a bit if needed.  for gods sake lets develop one tall to what his strengths dictate. elton is a forward.
lets see elton griffiths astbury rance chaplin mcintosh grimes darrou just how many do we need to develop down back while totally ignore the forw structure.
thinkj about it
astbury hit nup forward developed almost entirely down back.
griffiths  a genuine ff  developed down back.
mcguane a forward played down back.
vickery a ruckman played almost exclusibvely forward.
post who was cut last yr same scenario.
mcintosh a running and accountable tall defender and they want to turn him into a mid.
derickx a ruckman and they try to turn him into a forward.
and now you want elton down back when clearly hes a forward .
we are stupid and too clever by half .

for me its simple
tall defenders
rance, grimes, chaplin, darrou, mcintosh, mcbean,  thats 6  bloody hell do we have a top notch defender capable of taking on other big kpfs and winning.

tall forwards
riewoldt, griffiths, elton, astbury,  thats 4 and at least 2 shy of the numbers we need. yet two are developed as backs. could include mcguane but why hes a hack.at this point in time we have 1 decent tall forward.

ruckmen
maric, stephenson.vickery, derickx. at this point in time i can say we have three dud ruckmen.

of the three areas,  id say we have the backs covered more than anything. especially when you add griffiths and astbury who are being developed down back to the 6 ive named above.

at this point in time the way we are developing our talls i really can argue we have just 2 genuine tall forwards on the entire list and one of them is elton.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #814 on: April 30, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
so basically you are saying if you need a defender you overlook a player you rate higher for one based on where his junior coach plays him
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #815 on: April 30, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »

ya know what and ive said this before. if we take a forrward lin the draft lets develop him as a forward. if we take a ruckman lets develop him as a ruckman . if we take a defender ffs develop him as a defender.
apert from riewoldt who was an outstanding chf  who we play at ff most of the time we have failed to actually draft to needs with talls.
im sick to death of this bull poo.

todd elton was taken primarily as a kpf who could ruck a bit if needed.  for gods sake lets develop one tall to what his strengths dictate. elton is a forward.
lets see elton griffiths astbury rance chaplin mcintosh grimes darrou just how many do we need to develop down back while totally ignore the forw structure.
thinkj about it
astbury hit nup forward developed almost entirely down back.
griffiths  a genuine ff  developed down back.
mcguane a forward played down back.
vickery a ruckman played almost exclusibvely forward.
post who was cut last yr same scenario.
mcintosh a running and accountable tall defender and they want to turn him into a mid.
derickx a ruckman and they try to turn him into a forward.
and now you want elton down back when clearly hes a forward .
we are stupid and too clever by half .

for me its simple
tall defenders
rance, grimes, chaplin, darrou, mcintosh, mcbean,  thats 6  bloody hell do we have a top notch defender capable of taking on other big kpfs and winning.

tall forwards
riewoldt, griffiths, elton, astbury,  thats 4 and at least 2 shy of the numbers we need. yet two are developed as backs. could include mcguane but why hes a hack.at this point in time we have 1 decent tall forward.

ruckmen
maric, stephenson.vickery, derickx. at this point in time i can say we have three dud ruckmen.

of the three areas,  id say we have the backs covered more than anything. especially when you add griffiths and astbury who are being developed down back to the 6 ive named above.

at this point in time the way we are developing our talls i really can argue we have just 2 genuine tall forwards on the entire list and one of them is elton.
I thought Elton played in many positions as a junior.  He is not a reliable kick for goal.  Forwards need to be dead eye dicks in front of goal. Sick of holding my breath when 30m out directly in front and they still miss.  Had enough of that during the Richo years. Griff is one of the best kicks in the side. Prefer him forward. Ty was a forward as a junior and played ruck too - same role now. Elton is a big boy.  Why can't he be developed to cover the big gorillas on other teams? We don't currently have a guy like that in our senior team, Tried Griff but he is a natural forward although he was given the grand total of one game before he was dropped.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #816 on: May 01, 2013, 05:06:26 PM »
If someone cant  kick a ball accurately between two posts that don't move, and where weighting your kick is irrelevant, how are they going to pass with precision in the backline to slice through the oppositions press?

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #817 on: May 01, 2013, 06:05:20 PM »
If someone cant  kick a ball accurately between two posts that don't move, and where weighting your kick is irrelevant, how are they going to pass with precision in the backline to slice through the oppositions press?
Have you played football?
Some players are excellent field kicks but when it comes to lining up in front of goal they get nervous and lose their normal kicking technique.  Look at Richo as an example.  He rarely missed a pass when he had to but how many times would he miss from 25m directly in front!

Gigantor

« Reply #818 on: May 01, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
I reckon 90% of players don't give a toss where they play as long as they get a game.....
I know when I played I wanted to play forward and did for one year, and was then banished to the half back flank for the rest of my so called career.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #819 on: May 01, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
Some players are excellent field kicks but when it comes to lining up in front of goal they get nervous and lose their normal kicking technique.  Look at Richo as an example.  He rarely missed a pass when he had to but how many times would he miss from 25m directly in front!
I dont recall richo having to pin point too many passes in the backline with the entire opposition pressing up into that half of the ground.

On the other hand, players like king and mcguane, whose kicking was a liability in the backline have prolonged their careers by switching foward where these defincies are masked.

How many players, pariculrily in recent times, have been banished to the backline due to poor goalkicking and have extended their careers by doing so?

In field kicking, if your target has space, your kick can be off target by the width of the goal posts and still allow the recipient to run on to it, but it's when your pass has to be precise that sorts the wheet from the chaff. This is a requirement of modern top level football more than ever before.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #820 on: May 01, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
I dont recall richo having to pin point too many passes in the backline with the entire opposition pressing up into that half of the ground.

On the other hand, players like king and mcguane, whose kicking was a liability in the backline have prolonged their careers by switching foward where these defincies are masked.

How many players, pariculrily in recent times, have been banished to the backline due to poor goalkicking and have extended their careers by doing so?

In field kicking, if your target has space, your kick can be off target by the width of the goal posts and still allow the recipient to run on to it, but it's when your pass has to be precise that sorts the wheet from the chaff. This is a requirement of modern top level football more than ever before.

I disagree with you.  Last year I saw Buddy Franklin against us hit someone on the run with a 60m pass which did not have him breaking stride.  In the same game he could not get the ball anywhere near the two big sticks.  Please explain.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #821 on: May 01, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »

Henderson

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #822 on: May 02, 2013, 07:22:56 AM »

I disagree with you.  Last year I saw Buddy Franklin against us hit someone on the run with a 60m pass which did not have him breaking stride.  In the same game he could not get the ball anywhere near the two big sticks.  Please explain.
Lol. One bloke who has serious flaw in his kicking action, a bloke who is capable of kicking a miraculous goal yet missing easy goals hits up a target once and that proves that a poor goal kicker is capable of going down back and slicing the oppositions press with preciison kicking on a constant basis?

On that  basis one could argue that we could play jackson accross half back, coz i have seen him hitba target once, too.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #823 on: May 02, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »

Henderson
Havnt taken a lot notice of henderson, so ill have to take your wors his goalkicking had him on the cusp. How would you rate his disposal coming out of the backline?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #824 on: May 02, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
McGuane is the conundrum for me. He is doing a good job in his role as a tall forward who focused on defensive pressure. He's not doing a great job but none of our forwards are firing this year atm.

If he wasn't I would put Griffiths or even McBean into the role. Both players are accurate kicks with height but both are not quiet ready - Griff b/c he's been playing as a back for 2 years and McBean because he is a walking beanpole atm. Elton could surprize us all though - perhaps his kicking yips are merely that rather than a problem with technique.  :-\

For the second half of the year I would have Griffiths play forward for Coburg and then train him further in the role over preseason.