Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 313795 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #1530 on: November 23, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »
I assume @ 17/18

If you are 170cm you'd be less unco than if 200cm

Big and dumb like fast bowlers

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1531 on: November 23, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
bingo
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1532 on: November 23, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
Ox is right to raise this.  Do they take longer because they are given longer and are given extra tolerance to poot performances?? What is the sports science research to suggest taller players take longer to develop as an effective player compared to a smaller player?
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #1533 on: November 23, 2014, 05:40:42 PM »
From a sports science point of view there is generally a lot of physical development needed to compete at an elite level.

Not only do they have the challenge every draftee has in terms of developing aerobic capacity but in most case they also need to gain significant amounts of weight as muscle.

There is a limit as to how quickly you can put on size and gain muscle and it is compromised by the amount of aerobic work they do which is burning huge amounts of energy.

For a midfielder drafted their body size is generally pretty ok, they only need a handful of kilos and a change in body definition and muscle/fat ratios.

For a big player they often have 10-20 kilos needed and if they do have the size it is generally the wrong sort of size.

It doesn't sound like a lot to the average person but a gain like that takes significant time to do well at the best of times, let alone when you are in full training aerobically as well.

A weightlifter gaining muscle wouldn't ever have a running program in their training program, because you burn so much energy you literally physically can't consume the energy to end up with a gain.

Coupled with that is the fact older athletes have seasoned, heavier bodies in a position where size counts, as well as it seeming to take longer for most big men to develop dexterity and skill with the ball. 
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1534 on: November 23, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »
imo he would be the worst PERFORMED ruckman in the comp and that goes for juniors as well as seniors. as a ruckman hes abysmal.

Sorry Claw but if that is really what you think then there is little point even discussing it further as you are obviously incapable of understanding the game.

He isn't even the worst performed ruckman on our list.
we only have two others imo,  hamspud who is terrible player  but a better ruckman than vickery yet people want him delisted  and maric who is a circuit of flemington in front of him.
what ruckmen on our list is he in front of.

hmm other ruckmen
jacobs  no where near him similar age.
leuenberger nope nowhere near him
martin nope martin easy.
kruezer  nope
warnock nope
cameron wood nope  is a better ruckman hhhaaarrrggghhh.
grundy nope  is already better
witts nope  is better
bellchambers nope
giles nope
sandilands nope
clarke nope
griffiths nope.
do i really need to go on and do every team. im not sure what you and tone are watching  but all ive seen is ordinary when it comes to vickery and the ruck. ffs orren stephenson was a mile better ruckman than vickery.
derickx at sydney, a bloke we cut  has shown more.  longer looks better in the role already. we are talking ruckman here and vickery has played 6 complete seasons approaches 100 games is close to 25 yrs old at the start of the season and we are still having debates about his potential and weather he should even be kept or not. quite frankly that is not good enough.

to date in the role of ruckman vickery has  been poo. and there is not one thing you or tone or flipflop judge can bring up to dispute it.
In his 6 years he has played in the ruck probably about 30% of the time. Why would you judge his whole career on just his ruck work? He has kicked 100 goals.
Take the glasses off mate, he is no star but he has done ok to date with his best footy in front of him just going by what players of his size and age have done.
Compare him to Griffith's 5 years on our list as a forward/ruck. Don't think he has even been in the best players after a senior game.
once again i will say i wasnt the one who compared him to ruckmen. i just showed quite effectively that it was a nonsense comparison.
cmon logic says we went and got hamspson because vickery just didnt come on as a ruckman.
what im actually saying here to people is its a nonsense to try and place vickery in #1 ruck company hes been terrible in the role when hes played there  and the stats back it up. blokes who are scared dont make it in the ruck.
so imo hes not a top level ruckman and thats what ive argued because others keep comparing him to ruckmen, with hampson so ordinary as a player the need remains for us to find a top level ruckman to take over from maric.

if you want to talk about him as a tall fwd im happy to do that as well. ive regularly posted my criticisms of him as a fwd and i think him ordinary or just ok most of the time.the one saving grace, and is probably the only thing that keeps him getting a game,  is like you say he manages to kick a few goals  mostly cheapies mind. but he hits the scoreboard.
but even then as a kpf he needs to kick more.

i dont need stats to tell me he doesnt take many c/m an ideal trait for a tall fwd. he hasnt in the past crashed packs and given good aerial contests.at 200cm he should be the one we bomb it to when we need to.
he tackles rarely in fact is lazy without the ball and doesnt even chase half the time.
doesnt block or even spoil so few 1% another trait id expect in my tallsand  rucks at least.the simple truth is he just disappears in games.
hes not finding a lot of ball despite often being freed up on ball. and to finish when on ball he contributes little.
constant criticisms of his game and until they improve i will continue to complain about them.
 for 6 yrs the same sort of criticisms no change so what makes people think they magically change in yr 7.

all i ask of the club is they go out and draft a decent junior kpf in the draft just in case vickery doesnt take that magical leap you think he will.so we arent left at the start line again still looking for a top level kpf to partner riewoldt.
imo we should be looking at kpfs and not another 200cm come ruck cum fwd  if we are lucky just okay  at both roles.
What I don't understand is why you are comparing Vickory against either a genuine ruckmen or a genuine KPF. His is part time at both. It's unfair to do it the way you have. You need to compare him against players that play his roll. A second ruckmen which he is behind Maric, that plays forward because he CAN take a good clunk and kick it pretty well. If you were to ask me I don't think he is good enough to play either roll exclusively. But IMO is doing a pretty good job doing what he is doing for a player of his size and shape in his 6th year.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1535 on: November 23, 2014, 11:34:41 PM »
Pretty simple problems with this guy IMO.

1. Lacks heart (EG. Cox episode)
2. Waistline too small - powerful big men have thick waists. That's where you get the power. Forget the biceps.

Until he gets these two things he will always be a B grade player at best.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1536 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:45 AM »
Pretty simple problems with this guy IMO.

2. Waistline too small - powerful big men have thick waists. That's where you get the power. Forget the biceps.

get this guy on the Relton Roberts diet STAT!

the claw

« Reply #1537 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:03 AM »
imo he would be the worst PERFORMED ruckman in the comp and that goes for juniors as well as seniors. as a ruckman hes abysmal.

Sorry Claw but if that is really what you think then there is little point even discussing it further as you are obviously incapable of understanding the game.

He isn't even the worst performed ruckman on our list.
we only have two others imo,  hamspud who is terrible player  but a better ruckman than vickery yet people want him delisted  and maric who is a circuit of flemington in front of him.
what ruckmen on our list is he in front of.

hmm other ruckmen
jacobs  no where near him similar age.
leuenberger nope nowhere near him
martin nope martin easy.
kruezer  nope
warnock nope
cameron wood nope  is a better ruckman hhhaaarrrggghhh.
grundy nope  is already better
witts nope  is better
bellchambers nope
giles nope
sandilands nope
clarke nope
griffiths nope.
do i really need to go on and do every team. im not sure what you and tone are watching  but all ive seen is ordinary when it comes to vickery and the ruck. ffs orren stephenson was a mile better ruckman than vickery.
derickx at sydney, a bloke we cut  has shown more.  longer looks better in the role already. we are talking ruckman here and vickery has played 6 complete seasons approaches 100 games is close to 25 yrs old at the start of the season and we are still having debates about his potential and weather he should even be kept or not. quite frankly that is not good enough.

to date in the role of ruckman vickery has  been poo. and there is not one thing you or tone or flipflop judge can bring up to dispute it.
In his 6 years he has played in the ruck probably about 30% of the time. Why would you judge his whole career on just his ruck work? He has kicked 100 goals.
Take the glasses off mate, he is no star but he has done ok to date with his best footy in front of him just going by what players of his size and age have done.
Compare him to Griffith's 5 years on our list as a forward/ruck. Don't think he has even been in the best players after a senior game.
once again i will say i wasnt the one who compared him to ruckmen. i just showed quite effectively that it was a nonsense comparison.
cmon logic says we went and got hamspson because vickery just didnt come on as a ruckman.
what im actually saying here to people is its a nonsense to try and place vickery in #1 ruck company hes been terrible in the role when hes played there  and the stats back it up. blokes who are scared dont make it in the ruck.
so imo hes not a top level ruckman and thats what ive argued because others keep comparing him to ruckmen, with hampson so ordinary as a player the need remains for us to find a top level ruckman to take over from maric.

if you want to talk about him as a tall fwd im happy to do that as well. ive regularly posted my criticisms of him as a fwd and i think him ordinary or just ok most of the time.the one saving grace, and is probably the only thing that keeps him getting a game,  is like you say he manages to kick a few goals  mostly cheapies mind. but he hits the scoreboard.
but even then as a kpf he needs to kick more.

i dont need stats to tell me he doesnt take many c/m an ideal trait for a tall fwd. he hasnt in the past crashed packs and given good aerial contests.at 200cm he should be the one we bomb it to when we need to.
he tackles rarely in fact is lazy without the ball and doesnt even chase half the time.
doesnt block or even spoil so few 1% another trait id expect in my tallsand  rucks at least.the simple truth is he just disappears in games.
hes not finding a lot of ball despite often being freed up on ball. and to finish when on ball he contributes little.
constant criticisms of his game and until they improve i will continue to complain about them.
 for 6 yrs the same sort of criticisms no change so what makes people think they magically change in yr 7.

all i ask of the club is they go out and draft a decent junior kpf in the draft just in case vickery doesnt take that magical leap you think he will.so we arent left at the start line again still looking for a top level kpf to partner riewoldt.
imo we should be looking at kpfs and not another 200cm come ruck cum fwd  if we are lucky just okay  at both roles.
What I don't understand is why you are comparing Vickory against either a genuine ruckmen or a genuine KPF. His is part time at both. It's unfair to do it the way you have. You need to compare him against players that play his roll. A second ruckmen which he is behind Maric, that plays forward because he CAN take a good clunk and kick it pretty well. If you were to ask me I don't think he is good enough to play either roll exclusively. But IMO is doing a pretty good job doing what he is doing for a player of his size and shape in his 6th year.
sheesh how many times does one have to say hes not the one who compared him to other ruckmen.others did that.
so all ive done is show there is no comparison with the comparisons.
ive been saying exactly what you have said hes not good enough to play either role exclusively your words,i take it a step further and constanfly said imo he should not get a game because he doesnt do one of the roles to an acceptable level. jack of two trades master of neither.
my opinion on most of our talls has been and continues to be, we could easily upgrade most of our kpp/ruck  stocks with only riewoldt rance and maric top level performers.
mate theres good reasons as to why i keep on saying our tall fwd stocks are dire.

so if vickery is a part timefwd/ruck what the hell do we do with griffiths. same role as vickery only one place.

but there is a reason to compare him against others in the roles he plays. that is to see how he stacks up in that role.

me ive constantly put him in the ruck/fwd or utility category and have constantly stated he is ordinary at both rolesit would be good if he was top level or even decent at one of the roles.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1538 on: November 24, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
How do we easily upgrade every tall to rance standard?

With those 7, top 5 draft picks we have?

Maybe we can ask the magic fairy and she will grant our wish if give her yellow paddlepops

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1539 on: November 24, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »

Is the incident which has turned my opinion on TY, not so much the hit but with the second half performance he put in after that, peeweak

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1540 on: November 24, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »
The wise and great claw ski

but there is a reason to compare him against others in the roles he plays. that is to see how he stacks up in that role.

How,would you say Vickery rates in comparison to kpp from his draft pool ?

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #1541 on: November 24, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »

Is the incident which has turned my opinion on TY, not so much the hit but with the second half performance he put in after that, peeweak

Yep should have followed up when Cox hit the deck with a "That's what you get!" and then a water bottle squirt at the two mouthy tools behind the bench.  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1542 on: November 24, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »

Yep should have followed up when Cox hit the deck with a "That's what you get!" and then a water bottle squirt at the two mouthy tools behind the bench.  :thumbsup

Would of got like 5 year ban

Fancy what people would say on here. I was in favour of it however

the claw

« Reply #1543 on: November 24, 2014, 07:13:04 PM »
How do we easily upgrade every tall to rance standard?

With those 7, top 5 draft picks we have?

Maybe we can ask the magic fairy and she will grant our wish if give her yellow paddlepops
did i say in one draft or even two. only an imbecile would think that, hence i didnt state it. but hey it seems one or two on here arent too bright and need every detail spelt out for em.

im sure you can work your own question out it just takes a smidgeon of common sense. yet again a bloke who believes in magic fairies probably cant.

The wise and great claw ski

How,would you say Vickery rates in comparison to kpp from his draft pool ?

why dont you tell me. not sure what its got to do with vickery and how hes performed.to me if talls in his draft pool rate worse than him and have performed worse than him  it just shows how poor they have been as well. are you saying we keep vickery because hes been less poor than others.
thats unbelievable poor is poor regardless.

tony_montana

« Reply #1544 on: November 24, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »

:clapping