Author Topic: Tyrone Vickery [merged]  (Read 314836 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tyrone Vickery [merged]
« Reply #1845 on: June 12, 2015, 12:59:39 AM »
LOL Please.
Tyrone is our stay at home full forward as he isn't capable of playing CHF so we have to play Jack there

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1846 on: June 12, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »
LOL Please.
Tyrone is our stay at home full forward as he isn't capable of playing CHF so we have to play Jack there
Obviously watch the games then!  :lol
The team sheet they go with on Thursday nights isn't always a true indication.  :rollin
Does Tyrone even do any ruck work or is he just the stay at home FF?
No need to be a hater, credit where credit is due, Tyrone is an important player for us.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1847 on: June 12, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
yeah he plays in the ruck, but recently has played closer to home while jack pushes up the ground.

Jack is more capable of pushing up the ground, both in work rate and creativity,  and it doesnt make too much sense to have have your change ruckman working his arse off while waiting for his stint in the ruck
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1848 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:08 PM »
LOL Please.
Obviously watch the games then!  :lol
The team sheet they go with on Thursday nights isn't always a true indication.  :rollin
Does Tyrone even do any ruck work or is he just the stay at home FF?
No need to be a hater, credit where credit is due, Tyrone is an important player for us.

Oh yeah I base my opinion on the team sheet ::) Shane Edwards is the best CHF we've ever had ::)
Okay stay at home FF might of been the wrong terminology. He is our main FF when he isn't doing his minimal amount of rucking during the game.
If you don't think TY spends most of his time being our closest to goal while Jack roams around you are delusional.

Nothing to do with being a hater, in fact I stayed on the Ty bangwagon longer than most. He has been good lately and credit to him but that has nothing to do with whether he plays close to goal or up the ground.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tide turns for Richmond's 'villain' Ty Vickery ........ (Age)
« Reply #1849 on: June 18, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »
Tide turns for Richmond's 'villain' Ty Vickery

Rohan Connolly
    The Age
    June 18, 2015 - 7:15PM

From a theatrical point of view, though obviously not Richmond's, it's perhaps a shame Friday night's game between the Tigers and West Coast isn't being played at Domain Stadium in Perth.

They love to jeer a villain in the west, and nearly 12 months since he won infamy with the Eagles faithful there's still probably none bigger than Richmond key forward Ty Vickery.

The Tigers' round-18 clash with the Eagles last year was, of course, the evening Vickery had something of a brain explosion, snotting local hero Dean Cox at a boundary throw-in.

It was crude, unnecessary and had consequences both immediate and longer-term, with a couple of West Coast fans wanting to take Vickery on when he ran to the interchange bench and the AFL tribunal a few days later slapping him with a four-game suspension.

The chastened Tiger had, by then, already issued a public apology to the Eagle veteran.

That suspension was costly indeed for Vickery. By the time he was eligible again, Richmond were on a major roll. Not only was he overlooked for the crucial final-round clash with Sydney, he missed out again when the Tigers lined up for their elimination final against Port Adelaide.

Indeed, Friday night's return bout with West Coast will be only his fifth AFL game since the Cox incident. But Vickery comes into it with popular opinion about his status at Tigerland having swung again – as it so often seems to, within the wider football world and particularly among the Richmond faithful.

"I think our fans are probably a little bit unfair on Ty," says Richmond coach Damien Hardwick. "He carries a huge burden for some unknown reason. I'm not sure why that is, but I also know how important he is as a player and how much he means to our team."

Sometimes you wonder if Hardwick even believes that himself.

After missing out on those final two games last year – despite a pre-season about which senior teammates spoke in glowing terms, and after the coach had enthused about a three-tall attack featuring Vickery, Jack Riewoldt and Ben Griffiths – Vickery was still missing when this year began.

Then a minor knee injury sustained in a VFL practice match cost him another week. He finally returned to senior football in round five against Geelong. It wasn't one of the great comebacks, Vickery towelled up by Jared Rivers. But Hardwick publicly stood by his man after the Tigers' loss, declaring Vickery was a "best-22" player. Five days later, he was dropped.

"I've got to admit, I'm incredibly hard on him," Hardwick says. "But that's because I feel he can be a very good talent within the AFL system. So I do ride him incredibly hard. But I feel the dividend of that is going to be enormous if we get Ty playing the style of footy I know he can play."

Not that we haven't already seen glimpses of it. Vickery booted 36 goals at nearly two per game in 2011. In fact, since the start of that season he has kicked exactly 100 in 68 games at an average of 1˝.

And just maybe we're starting to see it again. After his recent omission, Vickery returned to the line-up for the round-seven clash with Collingwood, the first of Richmond's four straight wins, managing three goals in a team total of 16.

Another knee injury forced him off early against Port Adelaide the next week and out of the side to play Essendon. But in the big win over Fremantle in Perth last week Vickery kicked another three and dragged down half-a-dozen good grabs.

Significantly, that was also the first full game all season that Vickery, Griffiths – who also missed a couple of games injured – and Riewoldt had spent on the same ground. And the Tigers' attack looked a lot more potent for it.

"You get three different looks," says Hardwick. "You get Jack, who is a mobile, smaller marking key, and Benny, who is an athletic tall, then Ty, who is just a beacon up there. It's exactly what we're after.

"Ty hasn't got the athleticism of the other two, but what he has got is the smarts. He's capable of regularly kicking three a game."

And while Hardwick might not be easily satisfied, he's starting to see the signs.

"It's in his ability to make contest after contest," he says. "At stages last year, I thought he probably wasn't working as hard as we knew he could. But he's doing that a lot more. He's winning or halving contests, and at his best he's really hard to play on. He makes defenders worry about where he is, and I think we're starting to see that."

Vickery is second only to Riewoldt for scoreboard impact at Richmond over the past five seasons and his output, unlike that of plenty of teammates, has remained relatively constant in wins and losses.

But as he approaches the 100-game milestone, his coach is convinced the best is still to come.

"It's hard to think of an equivalent player like that," Hardwick says. "But [former Essendon and Hawthorn star] Paul Salmon is a guy who springs to mind for me, a guy capable of playing out of the cage deep inside 50 and kicking 40 goals, which Ty's already done, but then also have the ability to play as a roaming ruckman, as 'Fish' did, once he matures and grows into his body.

"He's just turned 25, but I still think he's going to fill out more and get bigger."

But for all the tough talk and the tough line Hardwick takes on his charge, the fondness for him is also readily apparent. Vickery is "a different sort of guy", says the coach, "but one I really enjoy spending time around".

"He's really intelligent and engaging," Hardwick says. "What I like is that when we do a game review, he's the first one to ask a question. If he doesn't agree with something that I've written in his review, he'll be the first one to challenge me, which I really enjoy. It shows that he cares about his performance."

It's fair to say that thumbnail sketch of a smart and sensitive young man isn't quite the impression Vickery has inspired among West Coast fans. But on Friday night, as they take another look at the man they've viewed with distaste since last July, it's a good chance for the big Tiger to show them his football is also far from one-dimensional.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tide-turns-for-richmonds-villain-ty-vickery-20150618-ghri0w.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Confident Tiger Ty Vickery finally starting to fire (afl site)
« Reply #1850 on: June 19, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
Confident Tiger Ty finally starting to fire

Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
June 19, 2015

RICHMOND forward Ty Vickery is a confidence player, and coach Damien Hardwick will often say the 25-year-old doesn't know how important he is to the Tigers.

After four straight wins, and six crucial goals across two of those, Vickery might be starting to see the extent to which he can influence matches. Opposition clubs certainly are.

He shapes as the danger man in Friday night's clash against West Coast at the MCG in a three-pronged forward line that features Jack Riewoldt playing further up the field, and Ben Griffiths.

Opposition clubs have paid close attention to the structure and noted how effective it was against Fremantle and Collingwood when the trio was given space to work in isolation.

With that in mind, preventing Vickery from gaining confidence early should be a key for West Coast.

"He's a confidence player and if he's kicking goals early it holds him in good stead for the rest of the game," one opposition scout told AFL.com.au.

"That's like anyone really, but especially for players who haven’t established themselves as bona fide week-to-week footballers.

"If you don't kick those goals early it can filter into you for the rest of the game.

"So if he gets his confidence up early he can kick three or four and be really dangerous."

Vickery kicked three goals in the Tigers' most recent win against Fremantle, including the team's first from a set shot. He went on to ice the game with his third.

His performance against Collingwood in round seven was equally important. Again he kicked the Tigers' first goal and converted a vital set shot in the fourth quarter that gave his team the lead.

The trend is obvious – when Vickery starts well he remains influential through the game.

"That's been his weakness in the past, staying in the game for four quarters," the opposition analyst said.

"But at the moment he's kicking well, so that gives Richmond the confidence to go to him.

"If his confidence is up and he's kicking well then Richmond are going to go to him more."

Vickery started on Michael Johnson against Fremantle before the veteran Docker was injured, and Collingwood sent in-form backman Nathan Brown to him in round seven.

Against West Coast, he could find himself on an undermanned opponent given the Eagles' decimated backline.

His recent form is also a testament to the Tigers' hard line stance on making him earn selection earlier this season when he spent three of the first four weeks in the VFL.

After an early finish to 2014 due to his suspension for punching West Coast ruckman Dean Cox in round 18, it meant he had played one game for the Tigers in 10 matches.

He could easily have been Richmond's forgotten forward, but he has worked his way back into favour and it is working for the 6-4 Tigers.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-19/starting-well-is-key-to-ty-vickerys-game

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1851 on: June 19, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
In his last 20 games Vickery has kicked 41 goals 16

In his last 20 game Kurt Tippett has kicked 41 goals 19 behinds

So either Vickery is as good as Tippett or Tippett is as worse as Vickery.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #1852 on: June 19, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »

:thumbsup
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1853 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »

Interesting stat

But Tippett is (1) incredibly over rated for the coin he is on and (2) not performing to the level he should for the coin he is on

And finally outside othe coin Tippett is on, he is simply just incredibly over rated  :snidegrin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1854 on: June 19, 2015, 04:59:12 PM »
last saturday night Carey was saying the he reckons Tippet would have no trade currency........
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1855 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »
Thought Ty was OK

His first half was excellent but he went missing in the 3rd qtr in particular

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1856 on: June 20, 2015, 02:19:09 PM »
Thought Ty was OK

His first half was excellent but he went missing in the 3rd qtr in particular

suppose you are right though the whole team was poo in the 2nd half. 

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1857 on: June 26, 2015, 10:00:06 PM »
Big trade value
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1858 on: June 26, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »
Best half of footy Tyrone's ever played

Was sensational

If only he could do it for an entire game he could be elite

Which is scary

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1859 on: June 26, 2015, 10:26:49 PM »
Kicks like a cannon

Ten - one. Set shots
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus