Author Topic: Cousins vs a Young Kid  (Read 3376 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Cousins vs a Young Kid
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
I want what is best for the RFC ....

If you de-list someone and then say we may rookie you then you run the risk of that player not getting through to you .... that appears to the be scenario the Tigers are faced with....

I cannot believe I am saying this but I'd take Cousins over a kid at this stage

Now that I am home from taking the dogs to the Vet for their annual vaccinations I'd like to qualify my comment above.

First up this isn't a slight on Dave Gourdis....

The RFC are duty bound to take the best player available at pick 6...

But if the plan is to take Gourdis in the PSD then I don't know if that qualifies as the best available player - youngster or re-cycled
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

bushranger

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 08:34:11 PM »
I understood what you were on about in the first post that you made.
And I agree with it all. And this is why I think we will take Cousins as number 6.
And why should we worry what other teams think of us.
They will be afraid of us and this is why most are making comments.
Though Free'o might slip him in before we get to him then we will have to rethink.
As Free'o would love to stick it to us as well as the Eagles.
But I don't know if they have to go where they are drafted to. I hope someone can clear that part up for me.
As I think I read it somewhere that they don't have to go if they don't like the team.
So someone please clear this up for me.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 09:10:15 PM »
But I don't know if they have to go where they are drafted to. I hope someone can clear that part up for me.
As I think I read it somewhere that they don't have to go if they don't like the team.
So someone please clear this up for me.

They dont have to but they can't play football for another AFL team.

Although since Gourdis is from WA it may be an attractive proposition.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:21:39 PM »
I personally want us to go for a kid.  I dont think one is a bigger risk than the other and Cousin's has had more than enough chances IMHO.  If we got the nod from the AFL and it didnt mean chosing one or the other then fine but it didnt happen.
Regardless on which way we go, we are going to get a LOT of media attention tomorrow.  If we have anyone loking at being a co major sponsor they should get on board early tomorrow morning.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 09:50:23 PM »
Either way, I am reasonably relaxed on the whole matter. Cuz or Gourdis, both are risky. Drafting Cuz doesn't prove that he will work out - if that was the case he'd be at Collingwood, Lions, Saints or even Essendon.

We'd still be waiting at least until the pre season cup or even Round 1. Even then, if we'd seen him at the top of his game, you'd still be wanting 2-3-4 months without the strings going ping before thinking he was on his way.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline TigerRocket

• Future Richmond star
  • Tigers 4 Ever
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:07 PM »
I have been traveling for a while and just realized this was a decision we were considering. Didn't we pass with our last selection in the Draft? If our strategy was locked with 'all possibilities' why would we have not used that selection to take either Cousins or Gourdis and then we would have had the choice of either now!! I bet if Sheedy had been involved we would not have left that opportunity slip!! >:(

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
I bet if Sheedy had been involved we would not have left that opportunity slip!! >:(

No disrespect but I don't understand your logic here.

What's Sheedy got to do with it?

Offline TigerRocket

• Future Richmond star
  • Tigers 4 Ever
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:30 PM »
Simply that it appears his 'influence' has been too late for ensure all of the options on Draft Day were explored when we decided to pass on our last pick.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »
Simply that it appears his 'influence' has been too late for ensure all of the options on Draft Day were explored when we decided to pass on our last pick.

Bottom line is under his current role at the Tigers he isn't supposed to have any "influence" on footy personal matters.

That's not what he is at the club for.... he is an "ambassador" for membership & marketing

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 10:26:49 PM »
Tell you what though IMO what a waste if we redraft Gourdis, *smile* we just delisted him.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »
Isn't it likely that Freo will pick up Gourdis?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »
Who gives a poo?

I cannot beleive he is worth getting if we delisted him 4 weeks ago...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »
I have been traveling for a while and just realized this was a decision we were considering. Didn't we pass with our last selection in the Draft? If our strategy was locked with 'all possibilities' why would we have not used that selection to take either Cousins or Gourdis and then we would have had the choice of either now!! I bet if Sheedy had been involved we would not have left that opportunity slip!! >:(
It was the case that we were actually going to pick up Gourdis as a rookie initially last year but we heard other clubs in the PSD were interested in him so we took him with pick 1. Presumably we decided to delist him from the senior list in the hope to pick him up as a rookie today.

As for picking up Gourdis or Cousins in the this year's National draft, you would need to argue we should have cut deeper and delisted more players to end up with more than the 5 picks we started with to grab both. Then again Cousins wasn't on our radar as he was expected to head to St Kilda or Brisbane and Ben himself was sitting back waiting to waltz back into the AFL, and Gourdis was considered as a rookie option. We traded one of those 5 picks away for Thomson leaving 4 picks in the National draft which we intended to all use. We used our first two picks on kids Vickery and Post and then took Hislop at pick 58 as he wasn't expected to be around at 70. We had a list of 5 or 6 kids we rated for one of our two later picks but it turned out they were all gone by pick 70 so we decided to wait until the PSD and access the kids who missed out on the draft altogther at RFC training sessions. The Club has since sat down and assessed these kids, plus Liddle from Coburg and some other ring-ins.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 01:11:18 AM »
Who gives a poo?

I cannot beleive he is worth getting if we delisted him 4 weeks ago...
He was only delisted so we could put him on the rookie list, it was a list management decision because he was a project player
I don't know how many times this needs to be explained

Offline Jackstar

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 01:28:30 AM »
He was only delisted so we could put him on the rookie list, it was a list management decision because he was a project player
I don't know how many times this needs to be explained

In laymans terminology: 'Project Player' = close your eyes, hold your breath, and pray.