Author Topic: Very Important Message ;)  (Read 9860 times)

froars

Very Important Message ;)
« on: September 13, 2004, 01:53:08 PM »
 A daze of their lives
By GARRY WILLIAMS, TV Editor
12sep04

CHANNEL 9 will go ahead with its controversial move to dump about 2000 episodes of its daytime soaps Days Of Our Lives, and The Young And The Restless.

More than four years worth of plots will be condensed into two one-hour specials, Days Of Our Lives - A New Day, screening tomorrow at 1pm, and The Young And The Restless - The Next Chapter on Tuesday at 1pm.
Some cynics would say the shows move so slowly that not much will be missed except thousands of shots of actors staring into the middle distance. Even Nine's director of daytime programming, Lauren Sidler, agreed.

"It's fair to say the shows became a bit dull," she said.

"Days, in particular, was in dire straits. But about a year ago its head writer (James E. Reilly) returned and there has been a real resurgence in the US. Fast-forwarding was the best way to capitalise on that and help revitalise the shows."

But Sidler admitted some good moments have had to be sacrificed. For the record, here is a guide to those "lost" storylines.

Days Of Our Lives:

THE Salem Stalker. His victims include Abe Carver, Maggie Horton, Caroline Brady, Roman Brady, Tony DiMera, Doug Williams and Alice Horton.

WEDDINGS, including those of Bo and Hope, Victor Kiriakis and Nicole (essentially, he marries his stepson's wife), and Kate and Roman.

ALTHOUGH in love with Sami, Brandon marries Angela to get access to a tape that implicates Lucas in the murder of Franco, and help Sami consequently reclaim custody of her son Wil.

The Young And The Restless:

CONTINUING saga between Victor and Nikki Newman.

BRAD and Ashley marry and have a baby.

SHARON kills Cameron, a man she met in a bar, and covers up the murder.

JILL Abbott discovers her arch-enemy Katherine Chancellor is her birth mother.

IT IS revealed Victor Newman is the real father of Ashley's baby - this storyline is revealed a couple of shows before the new episodes begin.

While Sidler said it was easy to be flippant, the decision was not an easy one.

"We know the shows have loyal and emotional following and we have tried to be respectful about the way we have done this," she said.

"We haven't cut any corners. We sent a crew over to the US to do these specials properly.

"Some fans are still upset, of course, but there's been plenty of positive feedback."

After the move, Australia will still be six to nine months behind the US.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,10735644%255E2902,00.html

froars

Re: Very Important Message ;)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 01:54:31 PM »
I haven't watched these shows for about 15 years but i reckon I'd still be able to understand what's going on lol.

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 04:32:46 PM »

:lol thanks for the very important message Froars!

If only they condenced the last 15 years into two one-hour episodes the show might have been worth watching. You'd still probably regret having wasted two hours of your time though.

lmfaoooooo@nine's director of daytime programming coming to the realisation 2 decades after the fact that the shows "became a little dull" 

Now all we need is for the Bold and the Beautiful to get the arss (has it already?)

LMFAOOOOOO@20 years of watching models act badly  :banghead

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 04:57:55 PM »
Well welll well....I aint going to lie...Im coming out of the closest....I got hooked on this crap during my early uni days....i had my mum awtching it, my grandmother so I would always get updates....and then being the smartass I was, I would jump on the net and backtrack 3 years to find out what is happening......

My mum told me this news the other day and I fell over laughing. This is going to be a classic watching the old wogs freak out at how fast things change.....hahahaha love it.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 05:41:05 PM »
Well welll well....I aint going to lie...Im coming out of the closest....I got hooked on this crap during my early uni days....i had my mum awtching it, my grandmother so I would always get updates....

That brings back some memories om21.  I can’t stand these shows, but there was a time when I did watch too. :-[

I’ll never forget one day, I hadn’t seen the show for ages, but my grandmother, who couldn’t speak a word of English, was explaining to me what had been going on. :rollin

I didn’t have the heart to tell her I couldn’t care less, so I sat and listened and I was really intrigued to know how she knew what was going on, when she didn’t understand the language and how she could be so involved in it. I didn’t want to ask her, so I never did find out.

Then there was my Aunty, who understood some English, and loved wrestling, but I don't know if she liked Days of Drearies and that sort of stuff... :rollin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 05:50:14 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

froars

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 06:52:24 PM »
If we're all coming out of the closet, so am I lol
I used to tape Days and Young and the Restless every day for about 10 years and watch when i got home.
But i have been exorcised for at least the last ten - but it has been on in the kitchen at work a few times, and I see most of the characters are still there.
Is a bit like footy - another escape from day to day reality!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 07:38:18 PM »
Is a bit like footy

except you don't hear your neighbours yell out that Storm is a hack and should be traded ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 10:36:46 AM »
Hey TS did you have to occasional throw in some translations? HAHHAHAHAA Thats when it got the worst.....

Oxi re yia....autos 3anahr8e na skwtosw ton John Black yiati eroteuthke me tin yiatrina, pws thn lene; Etsi Marleena....

HAHAHAHAHA The price you pay for a good cooked meal...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 01:07:07 PM »
I used to watch Days when I was at High School - best comedy you could find.

It lost me though, when Roman became John because the original Roman came back after being missing for 6 years.

All credibility was gone  :'( :'( :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 01:19:21 PM »
What you found credibility with Eugene and Calliope lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 02:20:25 PM »
What you found credibility with Eugene and Calliope lol

No - when Patch lost his patch and had that glass eye fitted - now that was credibility :thumbsup :lol

And when Bo sang at his first wedding to Hope - now those Aussie Idol kids could learn alot from that :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 02:22:17 PM »
Patch didn't have to be credible - he was cute, so who cared lol

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 03:59:24 PM »
Patch was a gun....him and kimberly (?) I remember those cheesy songs that used to have on back in the late 80s like a video clip for a couple......

Used to have to watch 10 minutes of those songs to get to the replay of the Carlton-Richmond 89 Fosters Cup.....

Jackstar

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 09:22:47 PM »
How sad is this thread :'(

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 11:31:00 PM »
How sad is this thread :'(

Agreed Jack  :cheers
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.