Author Topic: Ruckmen at Tigerland  (Read 11833 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ruckmen at Tigerland
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2013, 12:48:19 PM »
Vickery still developing.

We could have had Grundy instead of Vlastuin. Happy with Vlas but.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
Coulda woulda shoulda

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »

Vickery still developing.

What is he developing ?
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2013, 07:18:37 PM »
Jumper punch

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2013, 07:21:26 PM »
Will be the best the RFC has ever seen

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »

the claw

« Reply #96 on: October 05, 2013, 09:42:57 PM »
Did we draft Vickery as a ruck man?
we sure did. but hes been so scared in the role we changed tack and have tried to develop him as a kpp.

the claw

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
Do you mean tone like Strawbs O'Dwyer, Ty Elser, Simon Eastaugh, Matthew Clarke, Robert Schaefer, Wayne Thornborrow, Paddy Steinfort, Steven McKee, Ben Marsh and Trent Knobel  :help ;D. We sure have had our list of failed ruckmen of the years whether drafted or grabbed from other clubs.

Decent ones like Greg Dear, Justin Charles, Stafford and Simmo all came from other clubs. Benny Gale is probably our only successful homegrown ruckman and he was more decent than a star ruckman. Otto really only had one top year with us. In fact he's probably only had one good year at Geelong also but because that one was their premiership year it's seen as a great trade for them while Meyer is gone and Patto's future is still up in the air.

I think our lack of producing top ruckmen in recent times it's more due to a lack of drafting ruckmen in the first place than poor development. Bloody Spud didn't draft one ruckman in his whole 5 years  :banghead. Between Ottens and Patto (who this year is not being used as a pure ruckman) that's a 7 year gap without drafting a ruckman. If you then jump to Putt/Vickery it becomes a 10-11 year gap  :P. We've overrelied on Staff and Simmo to carry the load since Benny Gale retired.

At least now we have a large number of young rucks on our list. So in the short-term our lack of top class ruckmen is still an issue but we should be okay in say 5 years time as Vickery, Browne, Gus and hopefully Putt come through to replace Simmo.
i reckon the real question should be when was the last time we used a decent pick on a young ruckman or two and went the development path.
ottens was in 1997 we used pick 2. it took until 2008 to use another decent pick on a ruckman and that was vickery at pick 8. vickery showed pretty early he was going to struggle to become a genuine #1 ruckman.
i could be wrong but i believe from 1997 to 2008 the highest pick we used on a young  ruckman was pick 51.

theres a kid called darcy cameron he should go somewhere around pick 25 perhaps we should do all we can to get a pick around 20 to target him.
the other option is use pick 11 on longer and imo hes worth it. failing this we will continue to go down the retread path which has in the main failed us and certainly not given us a long term solution.

we have just one bona fide #1 ruckman on our list and he just entered the veteran stage of his career. we also have orren stephenson who was taken for no other reason than we needed some insurance if ivan went down.
i really do question if this club has an inkling of what succession planning is about.
we should have but dont have  a kid like billy longer in our system. a genuine bona fide #1 ruckman learning the ropes and prepareing to take over from ivan in two yrs maybe 3 yrs time.
what we do have in our system is a hedging of bets. we have 3 or 4 who can do a leigh brown role if we need. we cant say vickery mcbean or elton will ever become good #1 ruckmen.

the claw

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »
whoops sorry mt im guilty of what i go mad at others for and thats not reading the whole post i agree with ya.

Gigantor

« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:09 AM »
Gee if we are hopeless at recruiting good ruckmen then we cant be any worse off than hawthorn,who haven't had a star ruckman since the black plague ravished London

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2013, 08:48:52 AM »
Interesting thread, how has the game changed re dominant ruckmen? Ivan has given us a huge advantage when on song, how would the GF played out without Sandilands? He was dominant but Hawthorn roved off him pretty well. Is there another way and are we going crazy over this? It may sound whacky but would you want sandilands at RFC? Would that win us a flag or improve us? What about Nic Nat or J griffin? What other options are there.? Or is it as simple as getting a clever, athletic, big bodied player with 10 tons of mongrel in him who can run all day and is a good kick? There is probably no one in the whole league that fits that description.??

Offline tigertim

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2013, 09:12:54 AM »
Certainly agree we need to be more active in getting rucks. Let's face it our "real" ruck stocks consist of: Maric.

Vickery pinch hits there and Stephenson fills in when Ivan is out. McBean has virtually never played ruck and Derrickx? Please!

Look at Hawthorn with Bailey, Hale, CEglar, LOwden, GRimley. Geelong with Simpson, McIntosh, Vardy, Blicavs, West. It's a numbers games and our numbers don't cut it.

We need a second good ruck.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »
Mint the only ruckman that fits that bill is Dean Cox

His best days are behind but he is the best ruckman I have seen

Aside from him clubs have win flags with the liked of robby Campbell, west, bailey

You don't need to have A grade ruckman but someone better than derricks and vickery would be nice

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »
I really think we need to forget about McBean a ruckman, we ruined Griff by trying to turn him into a backman when he came to the club as a forward, lets not do the same with McBean.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
I really think we need to forget about McBean a ruckman, we ruined Griff by trying to turn him into a backman when he came to the club as a forward, lets not do the same with McBean.

But McBean played as a ruckman in the U19, so I think there is a difference. I reckon he will be able to play both roles. Just think we need to give him time to develop properly. And when I say develop I am talking more about letting him develop physically and grow into his frame

Griffiths isn't the first me will he be the last kid to come up from the TAC  and be sent down back to learn something about defence. I have always believed that's one of the faults with the TAC comp, kids aren't taught the defensive side of the game. Lids being the perfect example.

That's why Grifff went back there.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)