Author Topic: Brisbane's reign is over  (Read 10508 times)

Ox

Re: Brisbane's reign is over
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 12:26:30 AM »
Sorry to repeat myself - everyone got the point I'm sure. :banghead

What about Gay Sebastian's faggotisation of the country's unofficial national anthem.

FFS.

How much more un-symbolic of of our game can u get.

Would much rather prefer a bunch of old wogs dressed in togas,singing excerpts of lyrical interpretation fom Paganini

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 08:11:32 AM »
I hope the AFL take into consideration that Damian Hardwick, on practically all occasions, provoked/started the fights that occured on Grand Final day.  I can just see that horrible little Port so-and-so just needling away at Brown, just waiting for him to snap.  Actually Brown reminds me a lot of my son (scary thought! :help)  Hardwick should be made to answer for that. Smug jerk - I have hated him since that furore where he deliberately chased down our runner and yet he got off lightly.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 06:33:37 PM »
AFL Tribunal Please Explain:  What the heck is the charge of "attempting to strike" - is that a penalty for not actually making contact?  Alistair Lynch has been booked on 7 counts - 3 for striking, 2 for attempting to strike (?!) and 2 for wrestling.  Do you really think he gives a stuff about this now he has retired? 

Once again, the Tribunal has shown what a joke it is. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2004, 07:29:30 PM »
Once again, the Tribunal has shown what a joke it is. 

At least they are consistent  ;D.

In tribunal lingo "attempting to strike" must mean throwing a haymaker. I'd reckon Lynch threw more than 2 "attempts to strike" at Wakelin ;).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2004, 07:50:48 PM »
So does that mean the Tribunal wants to penalise Lynch for having a bad throw and not connecting?  And what's the difference between "attempting to strike" and "wrestling" really?

Jackstar

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2004, 09:20:01 PM »
Lynch is in trouble no matter what

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2004, 07:39:36 AM »
Do you think though he really cares?  What can the AFL do but slap a fine on him?    And really how much can a fine do?  Sure James Hird got fined $20,000 but the umpires have been soft on him and the Bombers ever since?  Best $20,000 he's ever spent. 

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2004, 08:17:50 AM »
Oh Brian Collis has really excelled himself this time.  Hate to think what Lynch would have got if he had actually planted a right hook on Wakelin and hadn't announced his retirement.  The thing that gets me (as she constantly goes on about it) is the inconsistency.  How come Wanganeen is cleared of striking Chris Scott because Ian Robinson found that "an arm thrown back into Scott's chest and neck does not constitute a strike" (Gold Coast Bulletin Wednesday 29/9)  but "Simon Black also remained in Brisbane to fight the two striking charges by video-link to the tribunal sitting in Southbank.  He conceded he made contact to the chest and upper shoulder of Power onballer Damien Hardwick.' (Herald Sun today) and copped suspension.  Wouldn't the Wanganeen case be considered "attempting to strike".  And of course, Jonathon Brown won't stand a chance a)because he has been to the tribunal too many times this year and b)because he got off last time and showed the Tribunal how flawed it really is and now it will be payback time. :banghead  Even the $5000 fine Wakelin is a joke - Daryl I'd be hitting Hardwick to contribute towards that.  Both him and Lynch fought like girls and yet Hardwick can deliberately run down someone running away from him and only cop - what was it - $1500

The AFL Tribunal is such a joke.  No wonder NRL followers think our game is such a nancy-game. :banghead :banghead

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2004, 01:00:53 PM »
After Jeff Farmer got off for what he did to that Adelaide player, you just wonder about the whole system Julz.

In order to connect, Farmer had to bring his knee from a long way back, with sufficient force that did severe damage to the guy's eye.  Yet he gets off.  And then we see acts such as "attempting to strike" go up. :help
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

RonBranton

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2004, 07:42:54 PM »
juzgold

What penalty would you have given Lynch ?

Ditto Wakelin, Brown and Black.

Just curious -  ;)

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2004, 07:29:15 AM »
Well you've got me there Ronnie.  Don't really know - and I'm not saying that they shouldn't be punished for what they did.  I'm just mad about the inconsistencies.  So good to hear that the Tribunal is going to have an overhaul.  Bout time.  I don't think the punishment should be harder because it was a Grand Final.  I do think that if the AFL are out to "sanitise" the game then they should also look at people who instigate trouble such as Damian Hardwick.

RonBranton

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2004, 12:41:30 PM »
For what irt's worth I would have given Lynch $10,00 fine (I believe they had to fine him otherwise he really gets off) and four weeks (in case he does do the unlikely and want to play somewhere local)

I'd have given Wakelin the normal fine for wrestling (poor mugs who don't start it, like Richo, always get fined).

I'd have given Black 2 weeks for one strike and not guilty on the other. In a normal game I'd give one week.

I'd give Brown four weeks (not six like most are claiming) In a normal game two weeks.

In my opinion the tribunal do a good job - I always like to listen to Bondy on 3AW - he gets it right most times and I don't think that he is too critical of the system as it operates now.

Oh - and I'd give Ottens 8 weeks for treachery and ingratitude

The only decision that I didn't like this year was the 4 weeks for Baker's strike on Johnson - that was an extremely rare offence imho - he chased him and landed a severe punch that could have caused serious injury. He was extremely lucky.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 12:47:50 PM by RonBranton »

Jackstar

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2004, 01:29:01 PM »

If there is a precedent set here, Brown gets 8, exactly the same as Baker incident  who got 4, AFL state double penalty for Grand Final, so 8 it should be

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2004, 02:50:58 PM »
I reckon the tribunal will be out to punish Brown severely because he got off on a technicality last time. The AFL doesn't like being made a fool off and I would say they've been waiting for his next indiscretion. Reckon they'll throw the book at him.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004, 02:52:59 PM »
I'd give the carnts a medal for taking the game back to what it should be .

I hate the gay policing/revenue raising of the AFL