Author Topic: We have the next core to build around  (Read 3035 times)

Ramps

We have the next core to build around
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:58:42 PM »
With the impending retirement in the next 2 or 3 years of Richo, Simmonds, Johnson, Bowden, Cousins ... we will need to rebuild the side, for mine the core of the next side will come primarily from those I have listed below, particularly those players that are in bold.

2. Will Thursfield
3. Brett Deledio
4. Andrew Raines
8. Jack Riewoldt
9. Trent Cotchin
14. Dean Polo
17. Chris Newman
18. Alex Rance
19. Dean Putt
20. Mitch Morton
23. Daniel Jackson
27. Tom Hislop
29. Tyrone Vickery
30. Richard Tambling
31. Adam Thomson
35. Matthew White

37. Jayden Post
39. Daniel Connors
40. Kelvin Moore
41. Nathan Foley

42. Andrew Collins

Its not that we dont have any players, Its just that IMHO we will need to go for more youth, and to rebuild the side.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: We have the next core to build around
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 06:16:53 PM »
Moore Thursfeild Polo
Newman Rance Connors
Tambling Deledio Thomson
White Reiwoldt Hislop
Morton Post Collins
Vickery Cotchin Foley

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 06:18:26 PM »
Pattison is an intersting one

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »
You've said this in the past Ramps and I agree with you - you need two phases of rebuilding if you are starting from scratch like we were. Right now we have a young core to build around which we didn't have in 2004 but there are still a couple of gaps and there's still more time needed before a few of those above are ready to take over. This upcoming draft is very important to us and we need to be smart when GC17 comes in and trade for one of their concession picks.

I would also add Browne to our future core. He's only 18 but he's got something there to end up an AFL ruckman. He's just not ready yet.

Any reason why Thursty is on that list while McGuane isn't? I wouldn't say Thursty is anymore guaranteed a future compare to Luke based on current form. Rance will keep his spot in the side ahead of Thursty.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 06:42:31 PM »
You've said this in the past Ramps and I agree with you - you need two phases of rebuilding if you are starting from scratch like we were. Right now we have a young core to build around which we didn't have in 2004 but there are still a couple of gaps and there's still more time needed before a few of those above are ready to take over. This upcoming draft is very important to us and we need to be smart when GC17 comes in and trade for one of their concession picks.

I would also add Browne to our future core. He's only 18 but he's got something there to end up an AFL ruckman. He's just not ready yet.

Any reason why Thursty is on that list while McGuane isn't? I wouldn't say Thursty is anymore guaranteed a future compare to Luke based on current form. Rance will keep his spot in the side ahead of Thursty.

Ive always thought that Thursty was a better player than McGuane. McGuane I also see as a player we could swap with Gold Coast to get a pick.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 08:00:21 PM »
Ive always thought that Thursty was a better player than McGuane. McGuane I also see as a player we could swap with Gold Coast to get a pick.
Fair enough Ramps. I would trade Rainesy (a small) to GC17 if it came down to a choice out of the two. The media too seem to rate Rainesy more than McGuane so we may get more for him (age + experience) and smalls are easier to replace.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
I agree with your assessment overall but for a few exceptions.

McGuane I think would have to be our No 2 backman and is still young. He may be traded to the GC but he is an important part of our defensive future (even though his punch of the ball behind the goal coast us a goal today... :banghead)

You have Thomson in there but we have barely seen him play. The same with Putt, Collins and Post. I would agree with you with Vickery but he too could be put in this category as well.

Connors has shown glimpses of brilliance but needs to become more consistent, remain injury free and become more team orientated before he is assured of a place in our future team.

It was great to see players such as Hislop, Polo and Rance shown some physicality and fight today. We need more of it!

Stripes

Ramps

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:06:51 PM »
I decided to give the young blokes the benefit of the doubt, they may in time become key figures in our team or they may fall by the wayside. We will have to wait and see.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
With the impending retirement in the next 2 or 3 years of Richo, Simmonds, Johnson, Bowden, Cousins ... we will need to rebuild the side, for mine the core of the next side will come primarily from those I have listed below, particularly those players that are in bold.

2. Will Thursfield

Don't agree that Thursfield will be part of the core Ramps.  I made the comment during the off-season that unless he gets more strings to his bow then he will struggle for a regular game as he gets older and I haven't seen anything yet to make me change my mind.  He is a one-trick pony with the capacity to spoil and not much else.  Moore and McGuane are both way ahead of him and after watching Rance today he is going to pass him very quickly too.  Throw in Post and I think Thursfield's spot is under severe threat.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:38:28 PM »

2. Will Thursfield

Don't agree that Thursfield will be part of the core Ramps.  I made the comment during the off-season that unless he gets more strings to his bow then he will struggle for a regular game as he gets older and I haven't seen anything yet to make me change my mind.  He is a one-trick pony with the capacity to spoil and not much else.  Moore and McGuane are both way ahead of him and after watching Rance today he is going to pass him very quickly too.  Throw in Post and I think Thursfield's spot is under severe threat.
Thursty is definitely struggling at the minute which has created an opening in our backline for Rance. Not sure if Thursty is carrying some injury as he's still playing but he was training on and off during the preseason.

Ramps

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 11:42:37 AM »
Would you be prepared to put Will Thursfield for trade at years end? And if so what could we get for him?

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:38 PM »
Would you be prepared to put Will Thursfield for trade at years end? And if so what could we get for him?

everyone is tradeable, but as you suggest, at what price?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »

everyone is tradeable

Deledio & Cotchin are not tradeable

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:00 PM »

everyone is tradeable

Deledio & Cotchin are not tradeable

for the right price they are

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
A few weeks ago we had an "Untouchable" list on this forum of which Thursfield was a very common choice.Now after one bad game where he was hardly Robin Caruso he is now on the outer.
I predict "musical chairs" this year with Thursfield,McGuane,Moore and Rance this year.

Unleash the tornado