Author Topic: R3: Tigers vs Bulldogs  (Read 5401 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
R3: Tigers vs Bulldogs
« on: April 05, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »
Easter Monday is a season defining game for us already. We need to do whatever it takes to win and back up being hard at the contest. The dogs are showing a harder edge this year but they still don't have the bigger bodies of a Geelong. There were huge momentum swings in their game today so we need to make the most of the momentum when we have it on the scoreboard. The doggies won again today in tough wet conditions against North. Hopefully that takes a bit out of them for next week although we'll probably be sore too after playing Geelong. We have an extra day to recover than the Dogs though. Cooney didn't look right yet either even though he played.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 09:59:29 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: R3: Tigers vs Bulldogs
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
Next Sunday is a season defining game for us already. We need to do whatever it takes to win and back up being hard at the contest. The dogs are showing a harder edge this year but they still don't have the bigger bodies of a Geelong. There were huge momentum swings in their game today so we need to make the most of the momentum when we have it on the scoreboard. The doggies won again today in tough wet conditions against North. Hopefully that takes a bit out of them for next week although we'll probably be sore too after playing Geelong. We have an extra day to recover than the Dogs though. Cooney didn't look right yet either even though he played.

Ummm we play Monday  :rollin :rollin

But I agree it's a massive game for our Club... Get there tiger fans. This game last season was one of the best games of the season that ended up being costly for us at seasons end...bloody draw
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 09:57:38 PM »
Ummm we play Monday  :rollin :rollin
LOL I forgot it was Easter Monday next week :wallywink

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
Monday is going to be massive......CRUNCH TIME :gotigers
Unleash the tornado

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »
yes ... 'mini-final' ... we must win!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »
Given the conditions of the ground we play on this week compared to Skilled Stadium I will be interested to see if we bring in more 'skilled' players instead of hard players. I think this would be a mistake if we do.

King maybe the one ommision I would argue for given his obvious poor footskills. I believe King was brought in lsat week to tag Ablett and lead the team in attitude and aggression which we sorely needed. This meant we had two tagger playing against the Cats but do we need that for the Dogs? I'm not convinced we do and while we certainly need more 'spunk' and fire if we are any chance, Kingy can cause a lot of turnovers and be isolated in the forwardline by the opposition which is disasterous.

For mine, I would ask that Thomson be brought in for King. If Tambling was ready he would be my first choice but given Thomsons hard at in attitude and strength at contests he would be a great addition to our midfield.

I think we also need to leave Schulz in the FF position at the time being which is a sad reflection on the club at the time being. Both our current FF options, Jay and Cleve, are both lacking in confidence, delivery and support IMHO. If either are going to make it they need to be targeted up forward whenever they present. Unfortunately I think it will take more than a boost in confidence for either one to make it. I hope for the clubs sake I am wrong.

Polo, Rance, Hislop and Gus all deserve another week (at least) given their performances against the best team in the competition last week.

I hope we can come into the game with fire in our hearts and, if need be, a foot up our a#$%!

We need this game

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:28:37 AM »
Didn't Ablett started on a HFF so Kingy was still in defence when he started on him? Given the Bulldogs lack a key forward and rely on small/midsized forwards Johnson, Aker, Hill, Murphy (if he plays) plus their mids pushing forward, I think Kingy will stay in the side to mind someone.

Agree Stripes about Sarge. We really don't have another option at FF with Cleve and Patto still coming back from injury lay-offs and needing more gametime at Coburg to build back their match fitness.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:25 PM »
Western @ Etihad Stadium
Melbourne @ MCG
North Melbourne @ Etihad Stadium
Sydeny @ SCG

*next four weeks are very important (obviously!)

need to pull off a 'Win' against Western, which will give us massive confidence!

Come On Richmond!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »
No Murphy by the looks of it

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/74604/default.aspx
Cautious Dogs won't risk Murphy against Richmond
By Jennifer Witham 12:17 PM Wed 08 April, 2009

FORWARD Robert Murphy will miss at least another week, with the Western Bulldogs erring on the side of caution in regard to the rehabilitation of his knee.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »
No Murphy by the looks of it

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/74604/default.aspx
Cautious Dogs won't risk Murphy against Richmond
By Jennifer Witham 12:17 PM Wed 08 April, 2009

FORWARD Robert Murphy will miss at least another week, with the Western Bulldogs erring on the side of caution in regard to the rehabilitation of his knee.

Murphy is a star so a plus for us he won't play. Hopefully Welsh doesn't comeback in as he's always enjoyed playing against the Tiges especially when he was at the Crows  :scream.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:28:17 AM »
WESTERN BULLDOGS V RICHMOND - Age preview

Etihad Stadium, Monday 13th April 2.10pm

TV: Channel Ten live

HEAD TO HEAD: Western Bulldogs 65 Richmond 75 Drawn 2

IN THE 2000s: Western Bulldogs 6 Richmond 6 Drawn 1

AT THIS GROUND: Western Bulldogs 13 Richmond 21 Drawn 0

LAST FIVE GAMES: Western Bulldogs 4 Richmond 0 Drawn 1

UMPIRES: Mathew Nicholls (15) Justin Schmitt (17) Ray Chamberlain (18)

LAST TIME: Western Bulldogs 19.16 (130) drew with Richmond 20.10 (130) R5 2008 Etihad Stadium

BETTING:
TAB SportsBet: Western Bulldogs $1.30, Richmond $3.30.
Sportingbet: Western Bulldogs $1.33, Richmond $3.35.

Summary: After an insipid round one showing against Carlton, Richmond at least showed plenty of spirit in pushing Geelong all the way at Skilled Stadium last weekend. They are well aware, however, that honourable losses will not help them towards a long-awaited finals berth or help under-siege coach Terry Wallace keep his job. But their chances of opening their account for the season against the Bulldogs appear slim, even if they are at their best. The Bulldogs have shown they can win with pace and skill, against Fremantle in Subiaco in their opening game, and with grit and courage, in the wet against the Kangaroos at the MCG in round two. They appear to have too much skill for the Tigers, who have often shown a propensity to turn the ball over under pressure. But Richmond will take heart from their last meeting, at the same venue early last season, when the Bulldogs had to come from 25 points down to pinch a draw.

Key: Belief and poise - the Tigers were in front in the last quarter against Geelong, but fell away when it counted. In contrast, the Bulldogs lifted when challenged late in their match against the Kangaroos.

Tip: Bulldogs by 20 points

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »
I had a quick look at the site WOOF and was very suprised at the intelligent,balanced preview of the game on monday.They seemed to have a good Knowledge of our players...I was quite impressed untill the prediction came-Dogs by 13 goals.

Hopefully if we beat the bulldogs we will recieve four points and some respect back. :gotigers
Unleash the tornado

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Very much looking forward to this game

Bullies play a great style of footy, having said that I think we match up on them well and this will be alot closer than people think  :thumbsup

:gotigers :gotigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:59:56 PM »
Bulldog Daniel Cross' comment today on our game last week.......

"I think Geelong may have underestimated them [Richmond] after their defeat to Carlton and we can't afford to do that and we know that."

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/cross-wary-of-tigers-68268

Here's Sportal's match preview:

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/preview-western-bulldogs-v-richmond-68236

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 06:46:22 AM »
The Bulldogs are going for the emotional factor this week. Scotty West will do a lap on honour in a car before the game. They are even claiming it's Brad Johnson's 100th game at the Dome.