Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45695 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: ITS TIME TO GO THE TANK- ITS OUR ONLY HOPE!
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2009, 10:02:46 AM »
I must admit, this season has highlighted how badly we need a key forward to straighten up our forward line, give us some structure. While Jack Riewoldt has had a pretty average year except for one game, he's actually shown me more than I thought he would, I had doubts on him from day one, yet I can see he'll be a player now. However he needs support, he'll never be a sole focal point for the forward line. A big Kosi/Roughead/Hawkins type would give Jack a lot more support. It really is a shame that Schulz is so lazy and Hughes is a pansy. Hopefully Gourdis can come good, surely with his speed and decent marking ability we should be able to turn him into a handy leading forward.

Given our season has gone to pot, I think we need to plan for the future. Johnson, Bowden & Simmo haven't got much to offer any more. Brown may even have some trade value if we can get him 100% fit, so keep him in the side as small forwards can usually play longer, just look at Brad Johnson & Aker. Richo will be lucky to play again this year, but keep Cousins in the side, he has plenty he can teach our kids.

If we can fight out some hard fought losses, win a couple more against good opposition then pick the best key forward we can with a very early pick it will go a long way to fixing our structure. It really is the missing piece, we seem pretty well covered in other areas of the ground, but I don't think our list is as bad as some make out. 3 top 20 picks is what we need to improve our midfield further and fix our spine.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »
My fear now is that we will play all the senior players given they were the influencing factor on TW near departure and we will begin to win some meaningless games with them.

If we are going to win games this year then do it with youth rather than with players who will not be part of our future.

Stripes

Offline gtig

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »
Infamy do you think it would make sense to trade morton + reiwoldt (+ brown + steak knives) for a key forward or high picks to obtain same?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2009, 10:24:24 AM »
Infamy do you think it would make sense to trade morton + reiwoldt (+ brown + steak knives) for a key forward or high picks to obtain same?
No chance in hell, trade players for picks only
Plus why would we trade Morton & Riewoldt when there are approaching the age when they will be at their peak
Morton is leading our goal kicking tally and Riewoldt would be the best key forward taken out of the 2006 draft so far

Ramps

« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2009, 11:08:26 AM »
Plus why would we trade Morton & Riewoldt when there are approaching the age when they will be at their peak
Morton is leading our goal kicking tally and Riewoldt would be the best key forward taken out of the 2006 draft so far

I think Player for Player trades has to happen as well unfortunately, not because we want it, but because if we want to get rid of 10 players then the only way for it to happen is to get in 2 or 3 players from other clubs - whilst keeping all our picks under say pick 50. Players of interest, Tim Houlihan- WCE, Nathan Djekurra- Geelong, Travis Tuck- Hawthorn etc etc. Blokes who can kick well.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »
Jay Schulz Pick 60 for Nathan Djerrukka

deal.
Go Tigers!

Ramps

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »

deal.

Yeah - thats the type of player for player swap Im talking about, not necessarily exactly the players involved, but you have exactly the idea Im talking about  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2009, 11:19:53 AM »
tanking would be meaningless, its a blight on the AFL, Punters, Members, Sponsors, & the savage Richmond supporters
stop this stupid tanking talk. you cant judge players if they are playing below thier best quality,  or you end up with a bunch of useless players who will continue the losing culture. wakeup some of you stuffwits we need to win games for the better of the club to get continued support from sponsors & members

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »

I think Player for Player trades has to happen as well unfortunately, not because we want it, but because if we want to get rid of 10 players then the only way for it to happen is to get in 2 or 3 players from other clubs - whilst keeping all our picks under say pick 50. Players of interest, Tim Houlihan- WCE, Nathan Djekurra- Geelong, Travis Tuck- Hawthorn etc etc. Blokes who can kick well.
Funny how guys like Hislop & Thompson were first round draft picks and the trade/drafting is widely critisised on here despite the fact they were both first round draft picks and cost us a 3rd or 4th round pick yet Djekurra is still on some of our radars.
Don't get me wrong I'd like to get him too, I just find it funny how those two are critisised so heavily so soon despite being so young

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2009, 05:23:09 PM »
However he needs support, he'll never be a sole focal point for the forward line. A big Kosi/Roughead/Hawkins type would give Jack a lot more support. It really is a shame that Schulz is so lazy and Hughes is a pansy. Hopefully Gourdis can come good, surely with his speed and decent marking ability we should be able to turn him into a handy leading forward.

If Gourdis has abilty that you speak of, why would the club delist him?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2009, 05:25:39 PM »

Nothing wrong with raiding Saints / Geelong list, as long as kids are young; Hislop/Morton, not McMahon/Knobel/KNisley

Djekurra, Armitage etc.

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »

Funny how guys like Hislop & Thompson were first round draft picks and the trade/drafting is widely critisised on here despite the fact they were both first round draft picks and cost us a 3rd or 4th round pick yet Djekurra is still on some of our radars.
Don't get me wrong I'd like to get him too, I just find it funny how those two are critisised so heavily so soon despite being so young

Nature of the beast when you recruit anyone, there will always be the what if?
Go Tigers!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »

deal.

Noone in their right mind even give a half eaten twistie for Jay Schulz.
Should have traded him 2 years ago from Port for pick 28.
Our players have gone down in value in regards to those that were tradeable in 2007.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
However he needs support, he'll never be a sole focal point for the forward line. A big Kosi/Roughead/Hawkins type would give Jack a lot more support. It really is a shame that Schulz is so lazy and Hughes is a pansy. Hopefully Gourdis can come good, surely with his speed and decent marking ability we should be able to turn him into a handy leading forward.

If Gourdis has abilty that you speak of, why would the club delist him?
To put him on the rookie list as he's a project player
He never stopped training with the club, he was never leaving

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2009, 07:28:31 AM »
I must admit, this season has highlighted how badly we need a key forward to straighten up our forward line, give us some structure. While Jack Riewoldt has had a pretty average year except for one game, he's actually shown me more than I thought he would, I had doubts on him from day one, yet I can see he'll be a player now. However he needs support, he'll never be a sole focal point for the forward line. A big Kosi/Roughead/Hawkins type would give Jack a lot more support. It really is a shame that Schulz is so lazy and Hughes is a pansy. Hopefully Gourdis can come good, surely with his speed and decent marking ability we should be able to turn him into a handy leading forward.

Given our season has gone to pot, I think we need to plan for the future. Johnson, Bowden & Simmo haven't got much to offer any more. Brown may even have some trade value if we can get him 100% fit, so keep him in the side as small forwards can usually play longer, just look at Brad Johnson & Aker. Richo will be lucky to play again this year, but keep Cousins in the side, he has plenty he can teach our kids.

If we can fight out some hard fought losses, win a couple more against good opposition then pick the best key forward we can with a very early pick it will go a long way to fixing our structure. It really is the missing piece, we seem pretty well covered in other areas of the ground, but I don't think our list is as bad as some make out. 3 top 20 picks is what we need to improve our midfield further and fix our spine.
We saw this again last night. No tall forward structure.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd