Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45559 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]
« Reply #465 on: July 24, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
Can U tell me the picks we get if we finish in either of these positions

We wont come last and we will win at least one more game.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #466 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Look I can understand and sympathise when it comes down to the "LAST" game of the year and someone like Cotch is the differance between winning and losing. I was barracking for a win by the way! Got over it pretty quick though I must admitt.
But tanking before the last game when there is so many tangibles involved doesn't make sense to me. Winning and working on getting the best (suited) players recruited makes more sense.
Gotta remember a lot of peoples careers are on the line here! If I was out in the middle and the coach was making obvious moves to jepordise the side, can say he would lose a great deal of respect from me for putting my hard work and maybe even my career at risk.
Said it before it is played a lot above the shoulders this game and any thing that goes against winning is a negative that you can never get back.
Winning mentality is just that, a win at all costs mindset - I know what I prefer from my club.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #467 on: July 24, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
Demetriou was on radio today and he is still denying tanking exists. His argument against it is these bottom sides play against other in the next 6 weeks so someone has to win and that tanking questions the integrity of the personnel at these Clubs. He mentioned something about Brendan Schwab at Melbourne saying the Dees aren't tanking.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #468 on: July 24, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »
Can U tell me the picks we get if we finish in either of these positions

We wont come last and we will win at least one more game.

Nothing is set in stone, CUB.  Depends on who gets Priority Picks.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #469 on: July 24, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
On the issue of tanking Rex just said he hopes Richmond doesn't win another game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL firm on keeping priority picks (Age)
« Reply #470 on: July 25, 2009, 04:31:55 AM »
AFL firm on keeping picks
July 25, 2009

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has categorically refused to reconsider the league's stand on the draft, rejecting mounting calls for a new system to try to remove the temptation for teams to "tank" games for priority picks.

Richmond star Matthew Richardson yesterday joined the chorus calling for an end to the scheme, while Western Bulldogs veteran Jason Akermanis suggested a lottery draft system would be better.

Richardson said the only way to end talk of tanking was to dump the priority pick system.

"They want an even competition, they want the draft picks to even up every team so that there's a cycle, so we all can make the finals," Richardson told radio station Vega.

"But the only way to get rid of this talk every year is to get rid of that priority draft pick."

But Demetriou said scrapping priority picks would not necessarily eradicate suspicions of tanking.

"You'd be saying 'Oh gosh, there are teams who actually want to get pick No. 1 and there are stories going around that they really want to finish last to get pick No. 1'," he said.

"This is a system that's been in place for a number of years — every team has played in the preliminary final since 1999 and our last six premiers have been different teams.

"That's about as even as it gets for our competition and you couldn't actually ask or script it any better than that."

Demetriou said it was "mischievous" to suggest clubs deliberately coached to lose.

He equated it to accusing those involved of "cheating or lying or that they're not people of integrity".

"I mean, we've had every coach this week come out and say that they wouldn't do it and that the talk of tanking is a terrible blight on the game," he said. "I don't believe in the theory of tanking, I never have.

"These teams who are theoretically tanking are actually playing each other other over the next few weeks so unless they're not going to show up and play each other I doubt whether we'll be changing our rule."

Full story at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/afl-firm-on-keeping-picks/2009/07/24/1247942051184.html

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #471 on: July 25, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
I realy cant understand why they cant just say that even though Tanking may not exist that the perception of it existing hurts the game. A simple change to the rules in making a lottery system like the NBA for those that dont make the finals would get rid of the problem once and for all.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #472 on: July 25, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
Freo 5 points up on the Eagles at half-time in the tank-a-thon derby  :-\
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #473 on: July 25, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »
What's great about this match is that either West Coast win and lose their priority pick at the start of the draft
Or Freo win and then have to play Melbourne in a couple of weeks
Best result for us here is a draw, that way both West Coast lose their pick and Freo only has to win one more to lose theirs

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #474 on: July 25, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »
Freo just kicked a goal to take the lead after scores were level. 22 minutes gone last quarter. The dockers have kicked the last 2 goals after the Eagles lead by 7 points ::)

Edit: Make that the last 3 goals to the Dockers. freo by 12.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #475 on: July 25, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Freo win by 5 points. Surprise surprise  ::). The only positive is Freo are now above us on the ladder.

16. Melbourne     3 wins
15. Richmond      3.5 wins
14. Fremantle     4 wins
13. West Coast   4 wins

Current draft order

1. Melbourne
2. West Coast
3. Melbourne
4. Richmond
5. Fremantle
6. West Coast
7. North
18. St Kilda
19. Richmond
20. Fremantle
21. Melbourne
22. Richmond
23. Fremantle
24. West Coast
25. North
36. St Kilda
37. Melbourne
38. Richmond
54. Richmond
72. Richmond

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #476 on: July 25, 2009, 06:59:23 PM »
Melbourne Vs Richmond next week and Melbourne Vs Freo in Round 20 will be very very interesting
Both games are at the G too, they even play North Melbourne in between so they have a pretty soft draw

Tigermonk

« Reply #477 on: July 25, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »
Melbourne Vs Richmond next week and Melbourne Vs Freo in Round 20 will be very very interesting
Both games are at the G too, they even play North Melbourne in between so they have a pretty soft draw

yep all the Tigers need to do now is let Melbourne win the game against us & they will be in front of us & Richmond get what they want there quick fix that will blow up in thier faces again & we will recruit another player who we wont develope

Jackstar is back

« Reply #478 on: July 25, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »

yep all the Tigers need to do now is let Melbourne win the game against us & they will be in front of us & Richmond get what they want there quick fix that will blow up in thier faces again & we will recruit another player who we wont develope

Really. who gives a stuff what picks in what order we get. ::)
the clowns at punt rd will no doubt pick up another Jordon McMahon , or an Adam Pattinson  or a JON, honestly, they need to fix the issues down there.
Hey,we will probably trade our picks anyway  :banghead
Now where is Adam Thomson :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #479 on: July 25, 2009, 07:17:16 PM »

Because all our other recent picks from being on the bottom of the ladder have been so terrible haven't they?
I mean Deledio, Tambling & Cotchin are just duds aren't they, haven't developed at all, so what's the point?

I think Jackstar & Tigermonk should be renamed Statler & Waldorf, angry, grumpy, whinging muppets