Author Topic: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]  (Read 45373 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: IT'S TIME TO GO THE TANK- IT'S OUR ONLY HOPE! [merged]
« Reply #630 on: August 03, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »
Voss wants any coach caught "tanking" banned for life and a lottery system brought in for the bottom 4 sides so the perception of tanking is removed.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/81934/default.aspx

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #631 on: August 03, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
All will be wearing egg on there face when Tom succumbs to the Richmond blood in him and elects to be traded to Richmond.

Kane Lucas, Trengrove, Morribitto will be fantastic pick ups.
Go Tigers!

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #632 on: August 03, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
All will be wearing egg on there face when Tom succumbs to the Richmond blood in him and elects to be traded to Richmond.

Kane Lucas, Trengrove, Morribitto will be fantastic pick ups.
Finger's crossed that he comes over to Tigerland after being developed at another club! By then our younger blokes should be winning games making it more tempting for him  :pray

I think we will miss both Scully and Butcher at the draft now, either they both go to Melbourne, or one each to North and the Demons. Will be an interesting match this week between those two. I dunno what is the better scenario for us??

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #633 on: August 03, 2009, 05:43:06 PM »
80% of Melb fans wanted to lose the game.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #634 on: August 03, 2009, 05:52:10 PM »

The players whose careers are on the line put victory first and if you dont understand that then theres not much else I can do.

The more you read and the more you see, tanking just doesn't seem worth the effort hey.  Fancy the players not following the script and actually trying.  And if Bailey was tanking yesterday then someone forgot to tell the players.  And if you are the coach and you choose to tank then you had best think long and hard about the impact on your list because the players aren't stupid - if you don't tell them your plans and you take away their chances of victory I would bet you have just fast-tracked your ticket out of town.  And if you do tell them they are going out to not win, then good luck making that work for you in the long run.  Not near as much tanking happens as the pro-tankers would have you believe -  a bit like global warming really. </end political comment>

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #635 on: August 03, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »
80% of Melb fans wanted to lose the game.

And 100% of Melbourne fans have endured a losing run since 1964.  I suppose after that long and that many failed attempts/plans/coaches/players then you will grasp at anything.  Good luck to them believing that chucking a few games at the end of a season will change all that.

Ramps

« Reply #636 on: August 03, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
Last year they got Watts and Morton, this year its likely they will get Scully & Butcher. Players like Blease havent been seen yet who they picked up in the 2nd round last year. Theyve found some players like Liam Jurrah, Melbourne will be big improvers over the next 2 or 3 years. Lets hope we can be the same and improve as well.

Offline gonzo

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #637 on: August 03, 2009, 10:17:12 PM »
Nice subject matter ramps. Got an enormous amount of posts.  Is this a record.  :clapping

Ramps

« Reply #638 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:50 PM »
Nice subject matter ramps. Got an enormous amount of posts.  Is this a record.  :clapping

big subject tanking.  ;D

FooffooValve

« Reply #639 on: August 04, 2009, 09:36:03 AM »
gee i cant believe anyone who watched the BIG NAT last night would seriously prefer winning 6 games is as opposed to 4.

What bloody difference does it make. I would rather win 4 and at least show something in the other games we lose as opposed to winning 6 against Freo, Demons, North, Eagles etc etc and get smashed by the other teams at the top end. GET REAL PEOPLE!!!

Woosha is a VERY SMART OPERATOR. Our club can learn a hell of a lot from a club like that.

Yes, we can.  :) ;)

Ramps

« Reply #640 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:50 AM »
gee i cant believe anyone who watched the BIG NAT last night would seriously prefer winning 6 games is as opposed to 4.

What bloody difference does it make. I would rather win 4 and at least show something in the other games we lose as opposed to winning 6 against Freo, Demons, North, Eagles etc etc and get smashed by the other teams at the top end. GET REAL PEOPLE!!!

Woosha is a VERY SMART OPERATOR. Our club can learn a hell of a lot from a club like that.

Yes, we can.  :) ;)

Did you watch Footy Classified last night Fooffoo. They would have given you the answer as  to why WCE didnt tank and why they lost the game v Essendon. Anyway if you cant be bothered getting a copy of the answer, it doesnt matter, just look at the answer I gave yesterday. It was 100% exactly the same.

FooffooValve

« Reply #641 on: August 04, 2009, 11:27:54 AM »

Did you watch Footy Classified last night Fooffoo. They would have given you the answer as  to why WCE didnt tank and why they lost the game v Essendon. Anyway if you cant be bothered getting a copy of the answer, it doesnt matter, just look at the answer I gave yesterday. It was 100% exactly the same.

A player revolt, lol.

Of course the players want to win! What a silly argument...can't you see the point? All this time you guys are arguing that West Coast are too professional, smart operators etc etc to let another Natanui or whoever slip, they won't be like unprofessional shambles Richmond who won't tank blah blah blah...and what happens... they win and pass up a 1st round pick — a 1st rounder — not pick 19 — and all you can do is say, "The players wanted to win."

Lame.

I'm not saying that tanking doesn't exist - far from it - I'm saying that real football clubs with winning processes and structures do not under any circumstances allow anything to stand in front of winning. Richmond needs more of that attitude.

And by the way, when you start relying on Grant Thomas for back-up opinions, I'm afraid you've lost the plot. He is a self-serving buffoon.

Ramps

« Reply #642 on: August 04, 2009, 12:46:08 PM »

A player revolt, lol.

Of course the players want to win! What a silly argument...can't you see the point? All this time you guys are arguing that West Coast are too professional, smart operators etc etc to let another Natanui or whoever slip, they won't be like unprofessional shambles Richmond who won't tank blah blah blah...and what happens... they win and pass up a 1st round pick — a 1st rounder — not pick 19 — and all you can do is say, "The players wanted to win."

Lame.

I'm not saying that tanking doesn't exist - far from it - I'm saying that real football clubs with winning processes and structures do not under any circumstances allow anything to stand in front of winning. Richmond needs more of that attitude.

And by the way, when you start relying on Grant Thomas for back-up opinions, I'm afraid you've lost the plot. He is a self-serving buffoon.

a self serving buffoon who took over a complete rabble of a club and made them constant finals performers and handed over a list to Ross Lyon which is gonna win a flag.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #643 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:25 PM »
and handed over a list to Ross Lyon which is gonna win a flag.

Hopefully not I am still hoping for a big laugh when they crash out of the finals

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #644 on: August 04, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »

a self serving buffoon who took over a complete rabble of a club and made them constant finals performers and handed over a list to Ross Lyon which is gonna win a flag.

A self-serving buffoon who inherited a half decent list and was able to top up with more high picks and still couldn't get them any higher than 3rd (even I could have got that list that high), displaying an arrogance that he couldn't climb over when he refused to admit he was wrong about the role of ruckmen in the modern game.  Self-serving buffoon of the highest order.  He handed over a list that finished 9th in his last season.  Lyon has been the catalyst for this list (possibly) reaching it's potential, zero to do with Thomas.