Author Topic: Swans v Tigers  (Read 4889 times)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Swans v Tigers
« on: April 24, 2009, 02:36:58 AM »
Stuck at work next week but shiftied a break to watch the footy, any suggestions of a good pub with fox around the southbank/city area too sneak out and watch the game.

I presume the Royal Oak in Richmond would have it but I may walk as could have a couple and could be a bit far.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Swans v Tigers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:08:29 PM »
Somehow I dont think so

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,25396752-5016140,00.html
SWANS coach Paul Roos yesterday declared he won't necessarily sacrifice younger players for the anticipated return of veteran key forwards Barry Hall and Michael O'Loughlin for Sunday's must-win game against Richmond at the SCG. Despite Sydney's inconsistent start to the season and their 0-3 record on the road after their disappointing loss to Fremantle, Roos seems determined to fast-track the club's rebuilding program by giving his generation next the game time needed to improve.

"We like to keep the young guys in because the only way they can learn is by playing," Roos said.

"We probably had six or seven kids on the weekend and it does make it harder and put pressure on the senior players.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Newman backs midfield to match Swans (RFC)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
Newman backs midfield to match Swans
richmondfc.com.au
By Michael Rogers 5:32 PM Tue 28 April, 2009

RICHMOND skipper Chris Newman has backed the Tigers' midfield to match it with the league's kings of contested footy when they take on the Sydney Swans at the SCG on Sunday.

"They've been the benchmark in that area for quite some time and it's going to be a real challenge for us this week to match it with them," he said on Tuesday.

"They play a really hard brand of one-on-one football so I think the guys are relishing the opportunity to play against a group that are renowned for their hardness."

The Tigers have a dismal recent record against the Swans, losing their past five clashes by an average of 66 points.

Rather than ignore past results, Newman said the playing group had addressed them head on.

It was a tactic that paid dividends against North Melbourne last weekend after Richmond had won just five of their previous 20 games against the Kangaroos.

"We feel like we need to beat these teams that have had the wood over us," he said.

"If we're going to get anywhere with our football and be competitive in finals football, we need to start to beat the best. We got over the hoodoo against the Kangaroos and the next step is to beat the Swans."

However, Newman acknowledged that nothing short of total commitment from each player would be enough to get past the Swans on their home turf.

"We've shown glimpses of how good we can be in the games we've played previously, but we haven't played that four-quarter effort," he said.

"Against Sydney it's crucial, because they'll keep grinding away and grinding away and their physical presence can take a toll on you during a game. By the end of a game, they can blow you apart."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/75838/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 04:49:27 PM »
Stuck at work next week but shiftied a break to watch the footy, any suggestions of a good pub with fox around the southbank/city area too sneak out and watch the game.

I presume the Royal Oak in Richmond would have it but I may walk as could have a couple and could be a bit far.
Oxford Scholar shows footy but I don't know if they have our game on.
Bells is in South Melbourne so that may be a bit far away. Royal Oak would be closer.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Newman backs midfield to match Swans (RFC)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »
Newman backs midfield to match Swans
richmondfc.com.au
By Michael Rogers 5:32 PM Tue 28 April, 2009

RICHMOND skipper Chris Newman has backed the Tigers' midfield to match it with the league's kings of contested footy when they take on the Sydney Swans at the SCG on Sunday.

"They've been the benchmark in that area for quite some time and it's going to be a real challenge for us this week to match it with them," he said on Tuesday.

"They play a really hard brand of one-on-one football so I think the guys are relishing the opportunity to play against a group that are renowned for their hardness."

The Tigers have a dismal recent record against the Swans, losing their past five clashes by an average of 66 points.

Rather than ignore past results, Newman said the playing group had addressed them head on.

It was a tactic that paid dividends against North Melbourne last weekend after Richmond had won just five of their previous 20 games against the Kangaroos.

"We feel like we need to beat these teams that have had the wood over us," he said.

"If we're going to get anywhere with our football and be competitive in finals football, we need to start to beat the best. We got over the hoodoo against the Kangaroos and the next step is to beat the Swans."

However, Newman acknowledged that nothing short of total commitment from each player would be enough to get past the Swans on their home turf.

"We've shown glimpses of how good we can be in the games we've played previously, but we haven't played that four-quarter effort," he said.

"Against Sydney it's crucial, because they'll keep grinding away and grinding away and their physical presence can take a toll on you during a game. By the end of a game, they can blow you apart."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/75838/default.aspx

OMG shut the fu.. up newy

YOU WILL NEVER LEARN
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
Ryan O'Keefe has obviously spent a lot of time watching and studying us this week :wallywink

"Richo won’t be the only player that we must stop. Deledio is playing well, as is Foley, Tuck and they’ve also got Brown who is always dangerous."

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/75923/default.aspx

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »
Ryan O'Keefe has obviously spent a lot of time watching and studying us this week :wallywink

"Richo won’t be the only player that we must stop. Deledio is playing well, as is Foley, Tuck and they’ve also got Brown who is always dangerous."

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7106/newsid/75923/default.aspx

So who gets the job on Plugger ?
Unleash the tornado

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »

I just don't think O'Keefe is all that interested this year. He's been very ordinary.

Watch now, he'll kick 7 and play a blinder this week  :wallywink
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »

I just don't think O'Keefe is all that interested this year. He's been very ordinary.

Watch now, he'll kick 7 and play a blinder this week  :wallywink
Yep I always get nervous playing a side like the Swans who have plenty of midsize forwards who could get under our guard given our poor history of containing them. Hopefully the long trip from Perth and them possibly playing underdone O'Loughlin and Hall works to our advantage.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 06:03:53 AM »
Swans will take the bite out of Richmond
Match preview - theroar.com.au

Sydney has won its past five matches against Richmond with three of those wins coming at the SCG.

FORM: Sydney suffered a disappointing 21-point loss to Fremantle at Subiaco Oval last weekend in what was co-captain Brett Kirk’s 200th AFL game. The Swans currently occupy 11th place on the ladder with a 2-3 win-loss record. Richmond broke through for its first win of the season last Saturday night, downing North Melbourne by 36 points at Etihad Stadium.

MEDICAL ROOM: The Swans welcome back forwards Barry Hall and Michael O’Loughlin from groin and ankle injuries respectively but will be without Craig Bird (shoulder) for at least one week. Veteran defender Leo Barry will be sidelined for another two to three weeks with a knee injury while promising youngster Patrick Veszprem (finger tendon) is likely to miss another month. For the Tigers, classy forward Nathan Brown (groin) will miss at least another week while Ben Cousins made a successful return from a hamstring injury in the VFL. Former skipper Kane Johnson (knee) is at least five weeks away.

KEY MATCH-UPS:

Brett Kirk vs. Brett Deledio

Deledio played a key role in the win over the Kangaroos, helping himself to 25 possessions, one goal and five inside 50’s.

The last time these two sides met at the SCG in round 10 last year Deledio was his side’s best player with 32 disposals, two goals and eight inside 50’s.

The Swans like to play a lock-down style of football and will be keen to prevent Deledio from breaking the lines and pumping the football inside 50.

Kirk has the quelled the influence of Sam Mitchell and Simon Black so far this season and will most likely be given the task of running with Deledio on Sunday.

Kirk, who is ranked first in the AFL for tackles per game with an average of 9.6, will not give Deledio any time or space at the stoppages and make him earn every possession.

Daniel Jackson vs. Adam Goodes

Goodes was damaging in the round 10 clash between these two sides last year, helping himself to 19 possessions, two goals and six inside 50’s in a performance that earned him the three Brownlow medal votes.

Like Deledio, Goodes is damaging with his ability to break the lines and kick goals.

If the Tigers are going to be any chance of recording their first win over the Swans since 2005 they will need to shut-down Goodes.

Jackson has been given some big tagging jobs so far this season and has also shown the ability to win his fair share of the football - highlighted by his game-high 33-possession performance in the win over the Roos.

The 24-year-old will need to pay close attention to Goodes for the full four quarters as he has the ability to turn a game on its head with a quick burst of brilliance.

Jarrad McVeigh vs. Matthew Richardson

Richmond’s last win over Sydney at the SCG was in round seven, 2004.

Richardson played a major role in that win, helping himself to 17 possessions, 10 marks and seven goals to lift his side to a 13-point victory.

The Tigers don’t need such a big performance from him on Sunday but they do need him to have an impact as he is one of the few Richmond players that has the X-factor to break the game open.

If Richardson starts in the midfield you would expect McVeigh, who has been given some big run with roles so far in 2009, to be given the task of matching up on the 34-year-old.

McVeigh, who has averaged 19 disposals per game and booted six goals so far this season, has the ability to hurt Richardson going the other way.

Luke McGuane vs. Barry Hall

Despite missing two games this season Hall finds himself in the top ten for goals with eight majors.

The last time Hall played against the Tigers in round 17, 2007, he booted six goals to inspire his side to a convincing 66-point win.

McGuane has been Richmond’s best defender so far this season and looms as the obvious candidate to match-up on the Swans spearhead.

If McGuane is going to be any hope of containing the Sydney veteran he will need his midfield to apply immense pressure all over the ground and deny the Swans the use of the corridor otherwise Hall will receive enough quality supply to kick a bag.

VERDICT:
With Darren Jolly expected to dominate Adam Pattison and Angus Graham in the ruck, the Swans should be able to dictate the tempo of the game. Richmond will battle hard all day but they simply won’t be able to win enough of the football at the stoppages to give their forwards any chance of kicking a winning score.

Swans by 38 points.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/05/03/round-six-preview-sydney-v-richmond/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 08:19:32 AM »

Bells is in South Melbourne so that may be a bit far away. Royal Oak would be closer.

Bells is just around the corner said they would put it on the big screen, Parma and a pot and larfin.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:21:17 AM by CUB »

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »

Bells is just around the corner said they would put it on the big screen, Parma and a pot and larfin.

Waterside is cnr Flinders and King. I'm pretty sure they would have, Browny owns the pub! (or he uses to)
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 12:50:26 PM »
Brett Kirk vs. Brett Deledio[/b]

Kirk has the quelled the influence of Sam Mitchell and Simon Black so far this season and will most likely be given the task of running with Deledio on Sunday.

Kirk, who is ranked first in the AFL for tackles per game with an average of 9.6, will not give Deledio any time or space at the stoppages and make him earn every possession.
The upside I see here is that Mitchell & Black are both slow inside stoppage players. Deledio has far more acceleration than those two so hopefully he can get the best of Kirk. That's not taking anything away from Kirk who I think is a gun.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »

Good stuff. Just need a Tiger win CUB and it'll be a perfect day  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
Both sides as named.

Pretty poor Tiges. No pressure. Goal to Swans.

0 - 7