Author Topic: Coburg vs Casey - Sat May 2 (Live on ABC TV)  (Read 6012 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Coburg vs Casey - Sat May 2 (Live on ABC TV)
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2009, 07:27:14 PM »
Well back from Holiday today and thanks for the reports, great to see Cuz and Cotch coming along but a shame to hear the reports on some of the others.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Jackstar is back

« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2009, 07:43:52 PM »
Really disappointing effort by Coburg today. On paper the Burgers looked the far stronger side but Casey functioned as a better team and played the better style of footy on the counterattack. Too many individuals in red and navy today (points finger especially at Daniel Connors). Seems quite a few felt they just needed to turn up and they would win. Very Richmond-esque too especially that pitiful 3rd quarter with all those backward handballs and kicks out wide to contests  :P. Not a good day in the office from Rawlings.

Edwards - not sure I'd give him Coburg's best but he was very good today as a small defender/HBFer. Clean with his disposal which was pleasing to see.

Simmo - gave Coburg first use out of the centre and was generally good. First half better than the second IMO.

Cousins - was given 10 minute bursts and looked a class above although he probably didn't have the damaging effect as Casey we actually paying attention to him. What stood out for mine was his second efforts after his initial disposal to run forward and link up as well his willingness to work hard inside and out. A lesson to a few of his younger lazier and downhill skiing teammates  ::). The main thing was Cuz got through okay. You'd probably give him another run at Coburg until he runs out a full game.

Petts - made a couple of turnovers but overall a good return from him in more a midfield/behind the ball role. Actually thought he was one of the few Burgers who was willing to work hard over the whole ground. 32 possies, 12 marks shows that.

Cotch - showed his class but looked to still be quite a fair way away from the match fitness needed to get a call up for mine. First quarter was very good and he worked hard in close throughout the game when he was on the ground but that outside game breaking away from stoppages was missing from what we saw in the second of the year at AFL level.

Schulz - took a few nice contested grabs but most were too far out or wide to translate into goals.

Connors - left his brain in the changerooms. Very selfish game from Daniel today trying to be too cute with party tricks trying to dodge and weave around everyone like he was a millionaire and we were 100 points up.

King - typically Kingy. Hard at it but skills are sub-par even at this level.

Hislop - got more into the game in the second half but really is just a player. A waste of a draft pick.

Thommo - See Hislop. Another top up fringer player who can't kick. A waste of a 3rd round pick  :banghead. Seemed to cop a few high ones from Casey players which the ump ignored and friendly fire.

Vickery - had a shocker after last week's promising game. Some soft efforts as a forward. Always caught behind his opponent and failed to contest to keep the ball down near his feet.

Putt - Quiet and ineffective. Why won't you kick the ball Putty  ???

Rainesy - shocker. Footskills were woeful.

Thursty - pretty forgettable day apart from a couple of good defensive marks. Sadly looks out of sorts.

Silvester - good early and tried hard all day.

I thought too most of the Burger players had off days too making basic skill errors such as dropping marks and turning over the footy.

Someone please note todays date.
jackstar totally agreeing with Mightytiges :thumbsup first time for everything

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2009, 07:54:26 PM »
Far too early to be writing off guys like Hislop and Thomson, Hislop is tough in the contest and seems to pop up with a couple of goals in most games. Thomson also copped a few pretty big hits and knocks to the head.
Thomson is 22 (turns 23 in August). He's an ordinary kick and WYSIWYG at that age for a midfielder. This sort of trade (giving up a 3rd pick for a fringe player at best) is another illustration of the problem with Richmond's recruiting over the years. If you're trading a good pick for a more mature player to top-up the list he at least should walk into your best 22 and improve the quality in the side otherwise you are not improving your list and worst still you've deprived your list of another kid. It's this sort of trading that results in age bracket holes in your list as we all know. Morton for instance has walked into our best 22 and is a better player than who he replaced (Petts) so that was a good trade.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2009, 07:58:11 PM »
Far too early to be writing off guys like Hislop and Thomson, Hislop is tough in the contest and seems to pop up with a couple of goals in most games. Thomson also copped a few pretty big hits and knocks to the head.
Thomson is 22 (turns 23 in August). He's an ordinary kick and WYSIWYG at that age for a midfielder. This sort of trade (giving up a 3rd pick for a fringe player at best) is another illustration of the problem with Richmond's recruiting over the years. If you're trading a good pick for a more mature player to top-up the list he at least should walk into your best 22 and improve the quality in the side otherwise you are not improving your list and worst still you've deprived your list of another kid. It's this sort of trading that results in age bracket holes in your list as we all know. Morton for instance has walked into our best 22 and is a better player than who he replaced (Petts) so that was a good trade.

Thomson may be no star, but having him is beneficial because he can take afew hits whilst the likes of Deledio, Cotchin and Foley utilise there skills.

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
Really disappointing effort by Coburg today. On paper the Burgers looked the far stronger side but Casey functioned as a better team and played the better style of footy on the counterattack. Too many individuals in red and navy today (points finger especially at Daniel Connors). Seems quite a few felt they just needed to turn up and they would win. Very Richmond-esque too especially that pitiful 3rd quarter with all those backward handballs and kicks out wide to contests  :P. Not a good day in the office from Rawlings.

Edwards - not sure I'd give him Coburg's best but he was very good today as a small defender/HBFer. Clean with his disposal which was pleasing to see.

Simmo - gave Coburg first use out of the centre and was generally good. First half better than the second IMO.

Cousins - was given 10 minute bursts and looked a class above although he probably didn't have the damaging effect as Casey we actually paying attention to him. What stood out for mine was his second efforts after his initial disposal to run forward and link up as well his willingness to work hard inside and out. A lesson to a few of his younger lazier and downhill skiing teammates  ::). The main thing was Cuz got through okay. You'd probably give him another run at Coburg until he runs out a full game.

Petts - made a couple of turnovers but overall a good return from him in more a midfield/behind the ball role. Actually thought he was one of the few Burgers who was willing to work hard over the whole ground. 32 possies, 12 marks shows that.

Cotch - showed his class but looked to still be quite a fair way away from the match fitness needed to get a call up for mine. First quarter was very good and he worked hard in close throughout the game when he was on the ground but that outside game breaking away from stoppages was missing from what we saw in the second of the year at AFL level.

Schulz - took a few nice contested grabs but most were too far out or wide to translate into goals.

Connors - left his brain in the changerooms. Very selfish game from Daniel today trying to be too cute with party tricks trying to dodge and weave around everyone like he was a millionaire and we were 100 points up.

King - typically Kingy. Hard at it but skills are sub-par even at this level.

Hislop - got more into the game in the second half but really is just a player. A waste of a draft pick.

Thommo - See Hislop. Another top up fringer player who can't kick. A waste of a 3rd round pick  :banghead. Seemed to cop a few high ones from Casey players which the ump ignored and friendly fire.

Vickery - had a shocker after last week's promising game. Some soft efforts as a forward. Always caught behind his opponent and failed to contest to keep the ball down near his feet.

Putt - Quiet and ineffective. Why won't you kick the ball Putty  ???

Rainesy - shocker. Footskills were woeful.

Thursty - pretty forgettable day apart from a couple of good defensive marks. Sadly looks out of sorts.

Silvester - good early and tried hard all day.

I thought too most of the Burger players had off days too making basic skill errors such as dropping marks and turning over the footy.

pettifer certainly wasnt' in the best for me.  the only thing he did well was that he covered alot of ground and picked up possessions.  but he was way too slow to dispose of the ball after taking a mark.  too often bombed the ball aimlessly forward after getting the ball.  waste. shouldnt' play for richmond again.

about cotchin, certainly would need to build up a bit more fitness but everytime he got it was clean and decisive with his disposals.  one thing i think he needs to change is to be more selfish.  too often he gets the ball, has space to work it but automatically gives the ball to a team mate just cos they called for it.  in effect, it just wasted his possession when his team mate fumbles or turns it over.  that's teh problem when you're too good for some of your team mates.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
Someone please note todays date.
jackstar totally agreeing with Mightytiges :thumbsup first time for everything
;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2009, 08:08:10 PM »
GOALS:
Coburg Tigers: Hughes 6 Clifton  Browne  Rayson  De Sousa  Kellett  Deledio  Polak  Hislop  Kandilakis

BEST:
Coburg Tigers: Hughes Ambrose Groves Browne Rayson Cattapan
At least some positive news from Cleve. Hopefully he'll play Coburg seniors next week.

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: May 02, 2009, 08:38:06 PM »
Coburg has a BYE next week so it will be interesting to see what happens with Cotch and Cousins.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: May 02, 2009, 08:50:34 PM »

absolutely MT couldn't agree more.

LMAO @ Thompson and Hislop. Their skill level is exactly what we need at Punt Road.

Infamy do you still think that trading away is the best way for our club.

As MT has said Morton was a good trade but he has his flaws e.g defensive pressure non-existent
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2009, 08:50:55 PM »
pettifer certainly wasnt' in the best for me.  the only thing he did well was that he covered alot of ground and picked up possessions.  but he was way too slow to dispose of the ball after taking a mark.  too often bombed the ball aimlessly forward after getting the ball.  waste. shouldnt' play for richmond again.
I think you need to consider where he's come from to put in a performance like he did today. He did his knee, around 9 months ago and it was his first game back at this level. Many players don't even make it back in that amount of time and he's already got BOG for Coburg 2nds and then put in a 30+ disposal game today by working his butt off. He was rubbish last year, but credit where credit is due, he's clearly worked hard to get back.

about cotchin, certainly would need to build up a bit more fitness but everytime he got it was clean and decisive with his disposals.  one thing i think he needs to change is to be more selfish.  too often he gets the ball, has space to work it but automatically gives the ball to a team mate just cos they called for it.  in effect, it just wasted his possession when his team mate fumbles or turns it over.  that's teh problem when you're too good for some of your team mates.
I wouldn't say he was clean and decisive with every one of his disposals, he had a couple of grubber kicks. He's clearly above this level, but I wouldn't bring him back against Brisbane. He needs more fitness.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2009, 08:53:14 PM »
LMAO @ Thompson and Hislop. Their skill level is exactly what we need at Punt Road.

No I don't like us trading so much and have said as much before, however I also understand the logic behind getting him. I do certainly think we overpaid for him.
Although, yet again you are ripping into a player who had a limited preseason due to injury. I think it's a little early in the season to be writing off 22 year olds who aren't fully match fit.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2009, 09:16:01 PM »

No I don't like us trading so much and have said as much before, however I also understand the logic behind getting him. I do certainly think we overpaid for him.
Although, yet again you are ripping into a player who had a limited preseason due to injury. I think it's a little early in the season to be writing off 22 year olds who aren't fully match fit.

If you understand the logic in trading away draft picks for a supposedly outside player then that is your issue.

Injuries he may have but if he was good enough then he wouldn't be going through Coburg.

All of our trades except Morton have been a complete waste of time and good part of the reason we have been such a rabble of a football club.

How about this for simple logic!! DONT TRADE AWAY DRAFT PICKS IN A REBUILDING PHASE.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »

Thomson may be no star, but having him is beneficial because he can take afew hits whilst the likes of Deledio, Cotchin and Foley utilise there skills.
That's why he was recruited for but he's not going to get into the AFL side to do that job with average performances like today.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2009, 11:13:32 PM »
Jon Ralph confirmed that Simmo had 37 hitouts as well as 22 possessions. Cuz had 27 disposals and Ralph said he believes Cuz will play against Brisbane as Ben wouldn't want to run around in red and blue again next week.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2009, 04:19:43 AM »

If you understand the logic in trading away draft picks for a supposedly outside player then that is your issue.

Injuries he may have but if he was good enough then he wouldn't be going through Coburg.

All of our trades except Morton have been a complete waste of time and good part of the reason we have been such a rabble of a football club.

How about this for simple logic!! DONT TRADE AWAY DRAFT PICKS IN A REBUILDING PHASE.
Neither Hislop nor Thomson are "outside players", where did you get that from?
I said I understood the logic in getting them to the club but I also said I thought we overpaid for Thomson so I'm hardly sticking up for the decision, just saying I can see both sides. I think a 4th rounder in the draft for Hislop was reasonable but glad it wasn't anything more. We should have used that pick for Thomson if we had to trade, 3rd round was too much.