Author Topic: Terry Wallace told Mitch Morton `You've cost me my job' (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3339 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Terry Wallace told Mitch Morton `You've cost me my job'
Jay Clark and Sam Edmund | May 20, 2009 09:32pm

A POST-MATCH tirade by Terry Wallace at forward Mitch Morton sparked the crisis meeting that saved Wallace's coaching career.

Wallace is believed to have put many players off-side with a bitter spray - "you've just cost me my career" - at Morton, whose last-minute blunder saw Richmond lose by three points to Port Adelaide on Sunday.

Senior Richmond players demanded meaningful on-field changes at yesterday's meeting with Wallace.

Captain Chris Newman and head of football Craig Cameron pledged their commitment to Wallace in front of a massive media pack, insisting there were no plans to remove him this season.

It is not the first time Morton has frustrated coaching staff and teammates.

Despite leading the goalkicking after six rounds, it is believed Morton was dropped to Coburg for a week for failing to put the team first. The clash against Port Adelaide was his first game back.

Newman said Wallace had the players' support and the meeting was designed to change elements of the team's on-field approach.

"I thought it was a good opportunity for the playing group and the coach to sit down and plan out a few things about where we are going to go in the future. We are sitting 1-7. We need to start to make a few changes on-field and start to tinker with that," he said.

Richmond's leadership group and Wallace were absent from Punt Rd training yesterday, holding the emergency meeting with president Gary March at his Port Melbourne office.

Wallace did not attend a board meeting as planned last night. Cameron and March briefed directors on yesterday's developments.

The coach spent the afternoon watching tapes of Essendon - Richmond's opponent in Saturday night's Dreamtime match at the MCG.

Wallace received a visit from former Richmond football manager and long-time friend Paul Armstrong.

Cameron denied the club considered sacking its besieged coach.

"What we discussed . . . was how we start to turn our season around from 1-7, and for all of us to be on the same page and heading in the same direction," Cameron said.

"At the moment Terry is our coach. He's our coach for the future, and we have set - as I have said a number of times today - the direction we want to take for the rest of the season."

Asked how Wallace was feeling, he said: "Terry's ready to coach us against Essendon."

March, who has indicated Richmond would only renew Wallace's contract if the club made finals, emerged from last night's board meeting to repeat that the position would be reviewed mid-season.

"Nothing has changed. I don't know how many more times we're going to say we're going through a process," March said. "Of course he (Wallace) was discussed. So was our football department, our finances and everything we normally discuss."

March denied Wallace and the players cancelled training.

"It wasn't crisis talks. It was more, 'How do we get ourselves out of this situation? Why aren't we getting over the line? What other things do we need to do to get back on the winners list?'," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25509584-19742,00.html

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Hmmmmm interesting, while it was a bad mistake by Morton, blaming the loss on one particular instance and then relating it to the end of his career at RFC is extremely poor form.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
so ironic that he had a say in bringing Morton to the club.

How he could single him out when there are 2 people running around Coburg who are a disgrace to be wearing the club colours.

J.Schulz and Mcmahon. What did he say to them? A pat on the back and a well done. Give me a break!!

Too little too late Wallet. 5 years ago he should have insisted on team rules and disciplines, instead of letting the majority of the playing group get away with an average of 1-2 tackles a game and minimal 1%'s.

What about Browny that week when he kicked 7 behinds or what about Sugar's miss from 15 metres out that cost us a game. if he got it we would have made finals and hence saved his job. Did they get a bath too???

stuff enough is enough get this idiot out of our club FFS
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
It still should have stayed behind closed doors - how did the media find out about it  :banghead

Oh yeah that's right we are the SS Tigetantic - leaking basket case  :help :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
this article is realised '20th May, 9:32 pm' ???

this is fake!

that is tomorrow night???

which paper is it from???

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
this article is realised '20th May, 9:32 pm' ???

this is fake!

that is tomorrow night???

which paper is it from???

Look at the link at the end of the article torch

it's from the HUN and it will likely be in tomorrows paper

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
LMAO!

Hearld Sun  :)

(missed that!)

however, that can not be true!

and if so, who is the c*** telling people???

Jackstar is back

The article is correct as per my previous post.
sad state of affairs at Richmond Football Circus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
The article is correct as per my previous post.
sad state of affairs at Richmond Football Circus

Sorry Jack - I asked you to remove your previous post but hey I'd rather the HUN get sued than OER  :thumbsup

Sorry again

WP

Jackstar is back

No probs, Its in the Hun now anyway, I wish they wouldnt pinch my stories ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Terry Wallace told Mitch Morton `You've cost me my job' (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »
It still should have stayed behind closed doors - how did the media find out about it  :banghead

Oh yeah that's right we are the SS Tigetantic - leaking basket case  :help :banghead
Yet not unexpected that it leaked out :banghead

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »

Yeah we've had things leaking out for years but it has been at its worst in the last 8-12 months I reckon

Or am I just being too cynical?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
The president needs to slowly leak different pieces of information to different people to see what gets out and what doesn't.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 12:55:09 AM »

Yeah we've had things leaking out for years but it has been at its worst in the last 8-12 months I reckon

Or am I just being too cynical?
Loose lips sink ships  :-\. We know who the worst leakers are too:whistle

We are way too media friendly for mine as well. We act out every decision the club makes in a media conference. We even seem to hold media conferences to tell them we are going to do something and hold a later media conference to say how we did it. It would be nice for a change that the club just shut up and leave out making midseason decisions  :banghead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:30 AM »
some of us told u so!!!!!!

terry is gutless, how dare he blame a player for his career, since when is his career the most imp thing,  why could he say something like selfish acts cost the team a win, but i bet when mitch kicked that great goal on the boundary the prick never said that goal may save my career, or if his kick oob ended up in the goal square

terry is a loser and a squib