Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 138074 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2005, 10:02:39 PM »

Baaaaa, sheep the lot of 'em.  Only one Club has the guts to tell the AFL where to get off.  :banghead :banghead :banghead

It doesn't matter who the Club is, it wouldn't have mattered if 12 out of 16 clubs voted against at the end of the day.....

The AFL have the power to force all teams to have an alternate jumper. This whole "saga" proves how weak the AFL is - they can force teams and haven't had the guts to do anything about it for the last 3 years.

As for Collingwood - they are a joke on this issue as well. As I have said before they concern themselves with their "traditions" when it suits them. They've had as many jumper changes in the last 6 years as Freo and North. If their "traditions" are so important why did the abandon their "spiritual" home Victoria Park for the Lexus Centre? Why didn't they update and improve their "home"?

The only team and I mean the only team who can claim to have never changed their guernsey is Essendon. 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2005, 05:16:41 AM »

screw the pies, one ion all in! 
Pretty sure I heard Essendon were the ones who voted no.

Eddie said on TFS 15 out of the 16 clubs agreed but the Pies didn't need a clash jumper if everyone else did! So he gave the impression the Bombers said yes when apparently they also opposed it. The paper today as WP mentioned says 12 clubs agreed not 15 and the Pies, Dons, Cats and one other (Melbourne?) were in opposition.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2005, 07:49:29 AM »

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2005, 11:10:57 PM »
The AFL have the power to force all teams to have an alternate jumper. This whole "saga" proves how weak the AFL is - they can force teams and haven't had the guts to do anything about it for the last 3 years.

My argument on this has always been that the AFL should never have the authority to tell Clubs what jumper to wear.

Demetriou says that the AFL isn’t a dictatorship, yet we hear something to the effect that if Clubs don’t willingly adopt an alternative strip they’ll eventually have to.

If that’s not dictatorship then I don’t what is.

The AFL is there to ensure Clubs survive and don’t eat themselves and each other out of existence.  How can Clubs have their own personality, individuality and character and maintain their history and traditions if the AFL dictates on any and all matters to each Club?  If that’s the case then Clubs could eventually become as distinctive as any DcMonald’s franchise, where they all look and operate the same, just in different locations.

If that's what people want, or allow to happen, that's what we'll get.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2005, 07:57:40 AM »
Yes I agree with you TS.  The AFL is a dictatorship.  Never had problems in the past with not having alternative strips.  Even with black&white tv!  Whatever happened to tradition - oh that's right we bring it out once a year for the so-called "heritage" round.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2005, 10:00:34 PM »
My argument on this has always been that the AFL should never have the authority to tell Clubs what jumper to wear.

Demetriou says that the AFL isn’t a dictatorship, yet we hear something to the effect that if Clubs don’t willingly adopt an alternative strip they’ll eventually have to.

If that’s not dictatorship then I don’t what is.

The AFL is there to ensure Clubs survive and don’t eat themselves and each other out of existence.  How can Clubs have their own personality, individuality and character and maintain their history and traditions if the AFL dictates on any and all matters to each Club?  If that’s the case then Clubs could eventually become as distinctive as any DcMonald’s franchise, where they all look and operate the same, just in different locations.

If that's what people want, or allow to happen, that's what we'll get.

The AFL have the right because the Clubs gave the AFL the control to do it when the AFL Commission was established. For example each Club doesn't own their logos the AFL does collectively - this is the sort of stuff through the creation of the AFL commission all those years the AFL now controls.

I am not saying I agree with it I am just saying that the AFL have the control to do these things and it shows their lack guts on this issue that they haven't for what ever reason done somthing about it when they clearly see it as a issue. The AFL's job is to make the tough decisions that Clubs wont and don't want to.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2005, 05:17:32 AM »
As WP rightly mentioned the AFL owns and controls the logos, guernseys, etc.. of each club. IIRC any time a club wants to make an alteration they need to get acceptance from the AFL. That's why at Essendon even though they have their guernsey written into their constitution they would/will still need to abide by any clash jumper ruling by the AFL.

I've never had a problem distinguishing our guernsey from the opposition and the full sash makes our blokes stand out even more clearly, but if we are "forced" to have a clash guernsey then it'll have to be some other colour other than mainly black such as one that is mostly yellow or that silver preseason top sponsored by silver top taxis :-\.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2005, 01:31:24 PM »
Fair enough that the AFL owns the rights to these things, but I still don’t see the need for them to dictate terms where history and tradition are concerned.  Why don’t they go deal with the real issues that should concern them, instead of interfering where it should be none of their business, unless things get out of hand or to the ridiculous stage, where Clubs aren’t able to make sensible decisions?  What are they, children who need their hands held every time a decision needs to be made?  Club administrators must be happy that, more often than not, they don’t need to think for themselves or even take responsibility for anything, because big brother will look after things.  And if they’re all good little children, at some stage they’ll all get a pat on the head and a biscuit.

All they seem to have done with these jumpers is to turn the whole thing into a farce.  The heritage round, as far as the uniforms goes, instead of celebrating the past, seems to be nothing more than a cringe-fest, especially for players.  How some of them are supposed to take their opponents seriously, in some of the get ups some teams are made to wear, defies logic.  I’m tipping that at least 50% of the Port players will be wearing their socks down that round.  Then again, it’s such a dainty and mesmerising tinge of blue that they could always throw the opposition off their game and wear them up. :rollin

The whole thing’s a bleedin’ joke, especially when the alternative is worse than the original.  In one match, St. Kilda played in their candy striped away jumper, in their home game, against Collingwood.  The away strip confused things more than the traditional jumper ever could. :banghead

Hopefully some sanity will prevail at some stage and they’ll stop trying to create this perfect world that seems to just become more imperfect the more they meddle with things.  The uniforms were good enough before and if they stopped for long enough I’m sure they’d see that they’re more than good enough even now.  But this is all so much fun, so why let commonsense and logic get in the way of a good laugh. :help

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Alternative guernseys: the Tigers didn't Vote
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2005, 08:39:10 AM »
On Sport 927 this morning they were talking about Eddie and the Alternate Jumpers saga and Anthony Mithen explained the following regarding the Tigers:

* At the meeting of CEO the other week the Tigers obstained from voting
* reason being: the Tigers have made it clear to the AFL on numerous occassions that they are NOT interested in having alternate strip.
* One of the main reason for the Tiger stance was the fact our Members had made it clear they were not interested
* Jumper clashes were one of the main reasons why the Sash was returned  :thumbsup
* The Tigers again explained the above at the meeting and they could see no reason in voting when the AFL has the ultimate say
* however he conceded that if the AFL makes it compulsory then we would have no choice

Mitho also took a shot at the Pies and their attitude to this mentioning the number of times the Pies have changed their guenrsey - been reading OER Mitho ;) ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 08:40:59 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2005, 12:09:02 PM »
Why should we Collingwood won't and since we have returned to our original jumper where's the clash, only Essendon who by the way won't change either. If they can't tell the difference between red and yellow maybe they shouldn't be playing.

It's just another AFL ripoff for the fans, when the AFL was formed they were supposed to take care of the licensing agreements of the incumbent clubs who handed over control in the interests of a more successfull comp, wev'e all been duped.
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2005, 12:50:05 PM »
…wev'e all been duped.

And in more ways than one. 

Seems that Eddie wants his Club to come across like the big hero all the time.  Good on him for pushing his Club forward, but it just ends up having the opposite effect when you hear the other side of the story.  Here we were lead to believe that only one club was taking a stance and it’s nothing like that at all.  Wouldn’t want people ‘in the know’ to report what actually happened at the time.  We’ll just work it out for ourselves at some later stage, shall we?

Anyway, given the AFL has the final word, and that it doesn’t seem to make any difference what Club’s say, :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead at least it’s something that they do fight for their rights.  You Just have to wonder though what direction the competition is taking, as it’s a bit unclear whose needs the AFL are catering to and what evidence there is that suggests we need to chop and change anything.

Never mind that it’s taken over a century for Clubs to build history and tradition; without so much as blinking, the AFL is prepared to cater to those who couldn’t care less about these Clubs and have probably contributed next to nothing to their history.  Meanwhile, those who do care and have heavily invested their time, money and energy into their Club, over a number of years, can go take a flying leap.  Makes sense and seems fair doesn’t it?  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Hello!  All this jumper changing does is alleviate one problem and create another.  It seems laughable that we arguably took the sash off the back because people couldn’t read the numbers.  Now we’ve put it back because it clashes with other jumpers.

Really?  Ya don’t say?  And it’s only taken a decade for someone to work that out. :help Wonders will never cease.

Somehow, things seemed a lot clearer before anything was changed. As has already been discussed somewhere before, just make the numbers bigger.  It’s not that hard.  The way jumpers are designed now, there’s no need for players to tuck their jumper into their shorts anyway and it looks better if they don’t.  Move the sponsor’s logo down a bit and make the numbers bigger.

Just KEEP THE SASH, THE WHOLE SASH AND NOTHING BUT THE SASH.[/b]

Thank you.

Otherwise, why would people want to keep putting their money into a Club when everybody else gets to have more of a say in how it’s run than those who financially support it?  That’s what I’d like to know.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Alternative guernseys: the Tigers didn't Vote
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2005, 06:38:22 PM »
* At the meeting of CEO the other week the Tigers obstained from voting
* reason being: the Tigers have made it clear to the AFL on numerous occassions that they are NOT interested in having alternate strip.
* The Tigers again explained the above at the meeting and they could see no reason in voting when the AFL has the ultimate say

But that doesn't fit in with Eddie and Collingwood saving the world or so they keep on shoving down our throats  :sleep.

Mitho also took a shot at the Pies and their attitude to this mentioning the number of times the Pies have changed their guenrsey - been reading OER Mitho ;) ;D

Spot on Mitho :thumbsup. We never clashed with the Pies until Eddie brought in their mostly black jumper at the request of their main sponsor to make their logo stand out more. So much for tradition!  ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2005, 05:51:19 PM »
Any idea when our 2006 guernsey will be released (with fatter eligible numbers hopefully)?

The Hawks have there's out and they've supposedly gone back to the jumper of Peter Hudson's era with brown and gold stripes back and front and a black number on a white panel .... don't ask me why! ???

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2005, 06:43:44 PM »
Don't know about alternative jumpers, but i hope to god we don't use those silver jumpers that we used in the last pre-season ever again, they are an eyesaw!  :banghead

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2005, 01:16:26 PM »
Any idea when our 2006 guernsey will be released (with fatter eligible numbers hopefully)?

Going by todays HUN & Australian: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17172549%255E23211,00.html

it wont be long

"The sponsorship base will expand even further on Thursday when the club announces the signing of international clothing company hummel as its new apparel partner."