Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 136527 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Alternative guernseys
« on: May 18, 2004, 01:59:41 AM »
Once again the topic of alternative strips is back in the news. Thoughts? Have they changed either way the past couple of years?

------------------------------------------------------------

No jumper lead
18 May 2004   
Herald Sun

THE AFL won't change its policy on alternate guernseys.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said yesterday he wouldn't dictate that clubs commit to alternate jumpers, but was hopeful all teams would do so by next year.

"We have encouraged all clubs to do that," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9590806%255E19742,00.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 02:11:54 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 02:09:23 AM »
I know I'm in the minority as I'm not totally against the idea. Fit more into the "depends on what the alternative guernsey is" category. However I haven't really liked any of the preseason jumpers we've had and that heritage guernsey..eeek! :P .

The old WA state of origin guernsey is an obvious one - reverse our colours:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 02:12:45 AM by mightytiges »

froars

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 07:40:28 AM »
I'm a traditionalist and i don't want to see any change.

The only one for my mind that we clash with is the Bombers, and if the Bombers don't care about an alternate strip, both teams should be happy.

Status quo for moi.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 07:46:05 AM »
Yeah that heritage jumper really was the pits.  I didn't mind this jumper though.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 07:50:18 AM by julzqld »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 08:59:50 AM »
If you asked me this question 5-10 years ago I would have said "NOPE", "NO WAY"

I would consider it if:

1/ we kept our colours - would have to be yellow and black - no other colours involved

2/ if we were offered a large sum of money. If the rumours regarding our finances are true then if some offered us an extra $500,000 a year then we would have to look at it.

I like the look of that old WA jumper. There was also an old training top that had the claw design that could be used as well
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 09:43:47 AM »
It should be the choice of Clubs whether they have an alternative jumper or not.  The strongest Clubs are the "Traditional" clubs because they have been able to maintain their identity and not sell their soul for money or be dictated to by others.

Essendon don't seem to have a problem with displaying numbers and sponsors on the back of their jumper, don't see why it should be a problem for us if we were to return to the sash on the back.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 11:15:30 AM »
I coud imagine the uproar over here in perth if Richmond's away strip was the states jumper LOL Fantastic !!!

cool cant wait, when do we start?

hahahaha

god im a S#$t stirrer  ;D
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 04:36:03 PM »
To answer the question I didn't really answer before, I don't agree with alternative guernseys.  I just think it's a step closer to sanitising the game completely.

And if I hear one more person espouse the theory that if it's good enough for Man U. it's good enough for the AFL, I'll bust a boiler.  What’s wrong with being unique and keeping our game truly Australian?  Do we really need to be like other football codes?

From what we’ve seen so far, the alternative jumpers have only added confusion.

Keep it traditional.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 08:01:49 PM »
Yeah that heritage jumper really was the pits.  I didn't mind this jumper though.

Julz,

I am thinking that you liked the person in the jumper more than you actually liked the jumper ;D ;D

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 10:45:43 PM »
I didn't mind this jumper though.

;D We're onto you Julz  :D  :D  :D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 07:51:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ok so what's inside the jumper is good too.

Offline hsv_coupe

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 01:13:24 PM »
I actualy liked that one with the claw design aswell...if we were to use an away jumper id chose that.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 02:54:46 PM »
I am absolutely opposed to the Idea of alternate jumpers, I thought we made an unneccessary transition when we took the sash of the back of our jumpers many years ago and im very much in favour of bringing that sash back. Essendon have got it right, they have never taken a backward step and so they shouldnt and neither should we. Have the guts to stand up to what is rightfully yours and don't be bullyed into compromising your position or worn down by it.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 03:28:55 PM »
I can't understand why people say the club shouldn't change and shouldn't be bullied into changing and that we need to keep the traditional jumpers.  The traditional jumper will be kept................forever - as long as RFC exists the jumper will be ours.

People arguing for an alternative jumper are not saying change the old jumper.  They, like every tiger fan, love the jumper.  People are merely saying introduce an alternative jumper when jumpers clash and when we play away.......that's all.  It will be an addition to the club - not something being taken away. 

It is a great money making venture.  It will be interesting to see how much St.Kilda make from their alternative jumpers. 

I beleive the home jumper should stay the same and never changed.  However I beleive the away jumper should be changed and designed differntly every year.  This way people will constantly buy the new design every year.  There is so much that can be done with black and yellow, and IMO some white can be added in order that the jumper better matches the white shorts.

Great clubs like Arsenal change their away tops every year and make a killing from merchandise sales.

This is a great opportunity to make some much needed money.  I'm sure that a large proportion of supporters will go and buy the alternative jumpers.  So many supporters bought the clawed jumper when it first came out.  At the moment there is no incentive for tiger supporters to buy the original jumper as almost everyone has one.

I would rather the club persue such marketing and money making ventures and become self sufficient financially instead of going to the AFL, cap in hand and playing at 92.5% of the salary cap.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 03:54:11 PM by Harry Hedgehog »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 05:02:27 PM »
What you say makes a lot of sense Harry H.  However, Clubs like Essendon and Collingwood aren’t in a hurry to change their jumper.  They don’t seem to be struggling financially because of it.

It seems that the strong Clubs are so not because they conform, but because they have the ability to be different and maintain their identity.  Therefore, I don’t see that having an alternative jumper is going to ease our financial plight or make us a better Club, but would instead highlight how much things have changed and that our reputation as one of the strong and traditional Clubs has come to an end.  Could only be a sad day for me, if it ever happens.