Author Topic: Essendon and Richmond don't deserve blockbuster tag: Andrew Bews (Geelong Addy)  (Read 3509 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
ANDREW BEWS: Essendon and Richmond don't deserve blockbuster tag
Michael Auciello | May 27th, 2009

THIS is not going to be a very popular article.

Many out there in the footy world will possibly look at this and assess it as taking a cheap shot at one of the great innovations of the footy world.

Maybe so, but to me the Bombers are the most over-publicised underachievers in the AFL.

They've been window dressing as many games as they can to try to draw crowds to lift their profile out there in the greater football community.

Good marketing? Well, yes, I'll agree, but the way Essendon claims or hijacks any untagged event in the footy calendar looks desperate and is beginning to drive me up the wall.

The Nutty Professor Kevin Sheedy was a master of setting up these types of gimmicks during his reign at the Bombers - he initiated and drove most of these matches.

The games had a special something when Essendon and its opposition stood at the top of the table, but for me they pale into insignificance when one of the combatants is stuck at the foot of the ladder.

Don't believe the old footy clich that "it doesn't matter where these two teams are on the ladder".

These matches are so much better when the best teams were clashing mid-season. Unfortunately they don't capture the imagination when one of the bottom teams is being asked to be one of the drawcards.

The AFL even helped prop up the Dreamtime at the 'G clash with the whole round being named the 'Indigenous Round', which I think was a more credible way of acknowledging the contribution of that corner of the competition's player group.

I was bemused by some of the reports from the Dreamtime at the 'G game though; one bit of script that caught my eye was this little gem.

"It was Essendon's second win from five of these encounters, which form the centerpiece of the AFL's Indigenous Round."

I don't know how people get it so wrong or get caught up in such delusional trumped up hype; this was a battle of two sides that have been strugglers for longer than I'd like to think about. At least Essendon has crept up the ladder somewhat this year. But the Bombers have only played a couple of the very good sides. With wins over Fremantle early in the season Carlton in a close one Collingwood, Hawthorn and Richmond, the underdone and injury-crippled Hawks remain the only genuine scalp of credibility.

The Tigers, though, play like they hardly know each other - any semblance of a team is clearly lacking.

Most of the time players are simply trying to stay in the side for next week. The game was ordinary at best and further evidence to that was the amount in which Essendon won by. The embarrassing thing for them was how long it took them to put the game beyond doubt.

For the record there is only one game worth winning or holding bragging rights for and the Hawks have these rights currently.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/05/27/73491_geelong_sports.html

Moi

And without me sounding too controversial, I can do without Aunty Joy and the whole Indigenous theme.
Have indigenous round without all the fanfare that goes with it.
Or have it, but don't make an hour of highlights? before the game on the tellie  :rollin
 :banghead

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
And without me sounding too controversial, I can do without Aunty Joy and the whole Indigenous theme.
Have indigenous round without all the fanfare that goes with it.
Or have it, but don't make an hour of highlights? before the game on the tellie  :rollin

Do you ever listen to yourself MOI. Whats next???  you want to take away the Anzac game as well or any game that mean anything to anyone who has ever played the game. Your full of poo

This means a lot to a few people and so many people actually look forward to the game, hence the big crowd numbers.

It was one of Sheeds finest ideas
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

bushranger

I think anyone that wants to take  game away from us has to be thinking with no pride in our team.
And I totally agree with Daniel161. It was a great idea made up by Sheedy.
We need and want to keep this game.
As I am one of those that look forwads to this game each and every year.

Moi

Do you ever listen to yourself MOI.
Yeah I do
Do you?

Moi

I think anyone that wants to take  game away from us has to be thinking with no pride in our team.
Can't think of many good reasons to have pride in the team at the moment
But regardless, that's just stroking yourself, mate
Wow, look at me, I'm a great supporter  ::)
I never said not have the game, just the pre-game garbage is just that, garbage.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
If Tambo was injured does JON get the nod so that we are pulling our weight?

To me all these games are just marketing $$$$ and not substantial to any cause. ANZAC day is the most embarrasing, this one is almost as bad. The pre-game rigmarole with fat Craig and Auntie Joy and her gum leaves is trite garbage. Just bounce the ball.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
lol, and peole call me racist lmao

the indiginous rnd is great, all bews can stuff off

until its conception, every one of these games has been very good and exciting

collingwood and essendon then surely dont deserve the anzac day gig

in that case scrap both, show no respect to the anzacs and indiginous ppl of this country who are the true founders of our game and owners of this country and tell them to stuff the right off.
that would keep the mois of this world happy

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame

To me all these games are just marketing $$$$ and not substantial to any cause. ANZAC day is the most embarrasing, this one is almost as bad. The pre-game rigmarole with fat Craig and Auntie Joy and her gum leaves is trite garbage. Just bounce the ball.

yes money is a factor but its more to do with recognition and education. and never forgetting. anzac day game is the reason in thi ssatate why anzac day has come back in full force, the day was just about a forgotten day, but with the help of the afl, its kept the whole day in focus so we dont forget

the aunty joy gum leaves thing is also great and good that for 5 minutes in a year, many australians can learn just a little about the past and indiginous culture.  maoris do a very similar tradition, but hand over a small branch

for all you wankers who cannot understand why both games have become such a focus i suggest you grow up and get a life and stop living in ur closet

so on grandfinal day we should have no celebration at the start and half time break either, should just bounce the ball and not celebrate the season that just passed ffs :banghead

Moi

If Tambo was injured does JON get the nod so that we are pulling our weight?

:rollin
I tried to organise a contract on Aunty Joy the other night  ;)

:lol

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
.......the anzacs and indiginous ppl of this country who are the true founders of our game and owners of this country.....
Ok, so the Anzacs are the true founders of our game. Was that before or after they invented the wheel?
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Bews is an idiot, the Dreamtime game is between Richmond & Essendon because of the combined colours of the jumpers

Moi

Just to clarify folks who might want to get some mileage out of this at my  ;D expense, I'm talking about the pre-game entertainment, nothing against these lovely people as people.
I would say the same for the Anzac Day as Jake has mentioned, and grand final pre-game entertainment.  I find them a bore.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
.......the anzacs and indiginous ppl of this country who are the true founders of our game and owners of this country.....
Ok, so the Anzacs are the true founders of our game. Was that before or after they invented the wheel?

if u read mu post i never said the anzacs are i said
indiginous ppl of this country who are the true founders of our game

so what i missed a fullstop or coma, wow!

i will rephrase it for you moron

in that case scrap both, show no respect to the anzacs and indiginous ppl of this country. The anzacs who helped secure our freedom and the indiginous ppl who are the true founders of our game and owners of this country. WE tell them to eff the right off.
that would keep the mois of this world happy

understand

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
Just to clarify folks who might want to get some mileage out of this at my  ;D expense, I'm talking about the pre-game entertainment, nothing against these lovely people as people.
I would say the same for the Anzac Day as Jake has mentioned, and grand final pre-game entertainment.  I find them a bore.

you love and thrive on the attention :lol

in that case, when pre game tipe and half time tripe is on, head to the  or change channel. its ur call if u wanna watch or not, but why shoul dall the ppl who wanna watch suffer cos you dont like it

im sure you could amuse yourself for 20 minutes or so