Author Topic: Essendon and Richmond don't deserve blockbuster tag: Andrew Bews (Geelong Addy)  (Read 3508 times)

Moi

Just to clarify folks who might want to get some mileage out of this at my  ;D expense, I'm talking about the pre-game entertainment, nothing against these lovely people as people.
I would say the same for the Anzac Day as Jake has mentioned, and grand final pre-game entertainment.  I find them a bore.

you love and thrive on the attention :lol

in that case, when pre game tipe and half time tripe is on, head to the  or change channel. its ur call if u wanna watch or not, but why shoul dall the ppl who wanna watch suffer cos you dont like it

im sure you could amuse yourself for 20 minutes or so
Well, I am leaving it to those who want to watch it.
Just saying I don't  :P  :-*

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

I would say the same for the Anzac Day as Jake has mentioned, and grand final pre-game entertainment.  I find them a bore.

I would say the ANZAC day is the AFL overstepping slightly. I think the day is great. A minute's silence great. National anthem great. But when it starts drawing parallels in marketing material about mates standing side by side in battle and the ANZAC spirit on show - well you have to be very very careful there because any decent human can see it's not at all like war. Lets not diminish the sacrifice great men paid for the sake of drumming up a footy game. AFL should just be what it is - footy. Its like Maccas including an ANZAC biscuit and calling it an ANZAC happy meal.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
The anzacs who helped secure our freedom and the indiginous ppl who are the true founders of our game and owners of this country.

Ok, so the indigenous ppl are the true founders of our game. Was that before or after they invented the wheel?
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
Just to clarify folks who might want to get some mileage out of this at my  ;D expense, I'm talking about the pre-game entertainment, nothing against these lovely people as people.

you love and thrive on the attention :lol

in that case, when pre game tipe and half time tripe is on, head to the  or change channel. its ur call if u wanna watch or not, but why shoul dall the ppl who wanna watch suffer cos you dont like it

im sure you could amuse yourself for 20 minutes or so
Well, I am leaving it to those who want to watch it.
Just saying I don't  :P  :-*

i felt that kiss, im blushing  :whistle

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
The anzacs who helped secure our freedom and the indiginous ppl who are the true founders of our game and owners of this country.

Ok, so the indigenous ppl are the true founders of our game. Was that before or after they invented the wheel?

go to a vic town called moyston you tool
there is even a monument that the afl put there to recognise this place as the birthplace of aussie rules footy.  there are aboriginal paintings there that you will also see, you can see these pics  in museums  as well depicting aboriginals playing footy with an oval shaped possum skinned ball.

this is where white man observed and based our game apon

so eff off and learn  abit about real aussie history

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

anzac day game is the reason in thi ssatate why anzac day has come back in full force, the day was just about a forgotten day, but with the help of the afl, its kept the whole day in focus so we dont forget

Whoa back there TT.  While I largely agree with your sentiments about the 2 themed games in question, don't ever kid yourself that it was because of the AFL that the reverence and purpose of celebrating ANZAC Day was restored to it's rightful place.  Seeing you like to quote history, the reason ANZAC Day 'lost' it's way in the hearts and minds of the community was the disgraceful treatment handed out to our Vietnam Veterans on their return from overseas duty - that was in the early to mid '70's.  They were harrassed, abused, assaulted, even spat on, by the very community they had taken an oath to protect with their lives if necessary.  And many of those veterans weren't even volunteers for that (at the time) thankless task.  Then, during the early to mid '80's that all turned around as the truth about Vietnam came out and the public in large realised they had been badly hoodwinked by a politically motivated agenda in the media and education environments, and the day reverted to the prominence for which it was originally created and celebrated.  Kevin Sheedy - being a returned Vietnam Veteran and 'Nasho' himself - saw an opportunity to allow the football community to join in the remembrance, celebration and education of the day as well as enhancing the prospects of the club he coached at the same time.  Celebrating the true meaning of ANZAC Day suffered Australia-wide in the immediate post-Vietnam era and recovered Australia-wide through community education and enlightment.  Please don't disgrace the efforts of those really responsible for bringing to the community's attention the shameful actions of the intelligentsia and political activists of the day.  The AFL have helped that process in later years by 'piggy-backing' on the momentum that was already firmly in place well before the first blockbuster game.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
I am not lover to the GF pre-game entertainment because it looks like amatuer hour at the local kindergarten

However I will admit that the pre-game entertainment at Saturday night's Dreamtime game was fantastic.

I am talking about in particular the singer/guitarist they had (who's name I am ashamed to say escapes me at the minute). He was brilliant. I had heard of him and heard him play but never really heard him sing... what a magical voice ... it had me captivated ... what a talent  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame

anzac day game is the reason in thi ssatate why anzac day has come back in full force, the day was just about a forgotten day, but with the help of the afl, its kept the whole day in focus so we dont forget

Whoa back there TT.  While I largely agree with your sentiments about the 2 themed games in question, don't ever kid yourself that it was because of the AFL that the reverence and purpose of celebrating ANZAC Day was restored to it's rightful place.  Seeing you like to quote history, the reason ANZAC Day 'lost' it's way in the hearts and minds of the community was the disgraceful treatment handed out to our Vietnam Veterans on their return from overseas duty - that was in the early to mid '70's.  They were harrassed, abused, assaulted, even spat on, by the very community they had taken an oath to protect with their lives if necessary.  And many of those veterans weren't even volunteers for that (at the time) thankless task.  Then, during the early to mid '80's that all turned around as the truth about Vietnam came out and the public in large realised they had been badly hoodwinked by a politically motivated agenda in the media and education environments, and the day reverted to the prominence for which it was originally created and celebrated.  Kevin Sheedy - being a returned Vietnam Veteran and 'Nasho' himself - saw an opportunity to allow the football community to join in the remembrance, celebration and education of the day as well as enhancing the prospects of the club he coached at the same time.  Celebrating the true meaning of ANZAC Day suffered Australia-wide in the immediate post-Vietnam era and recovered Australia-wide through community education and enlightment.  Please don't disgrace the efforts of those really responsible for bringing to the community's attention the shameful actions of the intelligentsia and political activists of the day.  The AFL have helped that process in later years by 'piggy-backing' on the momentum that was already firmly in place well before the first blockbuster game.

i cannot disagree with ur post

lets just say the afl have gained financially by helping make the younger generations aware of anzac day. still think its a good thing

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

there is even a monument that the afl put there to recognise this place as the birthplace of aussie rules footy.  there are aboriginal paintings there that you will also see, you can see these pics  in museums  as well depicting aboriginals playing footy with an oval shaped possum skinned ball.

The famous X temper showing again.

You believe what you want to believe. Most credible historians wouldn't back you up. The official AFL document last year about the history of the game rubbished the claim that Australian Rules is based on Marn Grook and is anything but descended from the games brought out here by colonialists. The evidence supporting Wills having seen Marn Grook is speculative at best. And the AFL last year published and essay rejecting it despite the enormous positive public sentimentality it could generate by being Australia's indigenous game. But it isn't the fact you take a differing view - there is slight possibility Wills would have been inspired by the Aboriginal game. And anyone who knew X knows why you are biased on this issue.

Its the fact that you take a view where the evidence stacks up the other way (e.g. here) or where there is no evidence at all (e.g. reading between the lines Deledio is going if Wallace doesn't walk) and then rubbish everyone else with immature schoolyard insults. Its laughable for a while and then everyone gets sick of it.

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame

The famous X temper showing again.

You believe what you want to believe. Most credible historians wouldn't back you up. The official AFL document last year about the history of the game rubbished the claim that Australian Rules is based on Marn Grook and is anything but descended from the games brought out here by colonialists. The evidence supporting Wills having seen Marn Grook is speculative at best. And the AFL last year published and essay rejecting it despite the enormous positive public sentimentality it could generate by being Australia's indigenous game. But it isn't the fact you take a differing view - there is slight possibility Wills would have been inspired by the Aboriginal game. And anyone who knew X knows why you are biased on this issue.

Its the fact that you take a view where the evidence stacks up the other way (e.g. here) or where there is no evidence at all (e.g. reading between the lines Deledio is going if Wallace doesn't walk) and then rubbish everyone else with immature schoolyard insults. Its laughable for a while and then everyone gets sick of it.

1/ TEMPER LMAO, who said im angry, loser. i sit here and laugh at you esp when u say things like

2/ most credible historians  :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol

99% of australias history is a lie lomao

oh yeah bourke and wills discoverd many things hahahaha, places where aboriginal ppl showed them lol

this country is full of lies , like many countries, and australian history books should be re-written

talk to the ppl that really know and you will find the truth

by the way TT is not bad tempered , not sure about X

"most " "credible " historians lmao

so the afl are a bunch of dumbarses for recognising moyston as the birth place of aussie rules. lmao

take a trip and see it for yourself, loser

i suppose the stolen generations, missions etc never existed also , most credible historians dont mention how the governments of teh past tried to get rid of black skinned ppl , and the jews reckon hitler was bad lmao

we were no different to sth africa at the time.

denial denial denial

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
are you andrew bolt?? :lol

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame

A lot of half truths and opinions there.
The backlash against Anzac Day preceeded the Vietnam War for starters.
The public interest in A D really only began around the 70th anniversary together with the realisation that there were only a few Anzacs left. After Howard came to power the day was further highlighted (for various reasons ;). Now the commemoration is becoming even more inclusive as we recall the battles in Europe, as we should. With luck, we as a nation, will learn more of our past and remember Anzac Day as it should be and not as a pseudo Australia Day.

(BTW April 25th 1885 in Sth Australia for the first time in history women were able to vote in an election.)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
And without me sounding too controversial, I can do without Aunty Joy and the whole Indigenous theme.
Have indigenous round without all the fanfare that goes with it.
Or have it, but don't make an hour of highlights? before the game on the tellie  :rollin
 :banghead

Do you ever listen to yourself MOI. Whats next???  you want to take away the Anzac game as well or any game that mean anything to anyone who has ever played the game. Your full of poo

This means a lot to a few people and so many people actually look forward to the game, hence the big crowd numbers.

It was one of Sheeds finest ideas

couldnt agree more, it's marque games like this that keep the wolf from the door..a meaningless article that would draw NO support from the AFL...they are all about building tradition and rivalry into fixtures.it's what underlines this great game and seapartes us from rival codes..FORM comes and goes TRADITION is here to stay...suck it up Bewsy, your 15min of fame was over a long time ago sunshine :gotigers
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame

A lot of half truths and opinions there.

Really?

The backlash against Anzac Day preceeded the Vietnam War for starters.

ANZAC Day was gazetted in 1916 and grew slowly in nature and stature throughout Australia and New Zealand over the next 50 years.  Up until the Vietnam War it was celebrated mainly by serving and ex-servicemen and women, and it was only the disruptive attempts to protest the Vietnam War that brought it largely into the public domain.  There is no history of organised and prolonged use of ANZAC Day for any form of public protest whatsoever prior to the Vietnam War.

The public interest in A D really only began around the 70th anniversary together with the realisation that there were only a few Anzacs left. After Howard came to power the day was further highlighted (for various reasons ;). Now the commemoration is becoming even more inclusive as we recall the battles in Europe, as we should.

Gee, could have sworn I said "early to mid 80's"  That would make it - um, let me see - about 1985, smack on for the 70th anniversary.  And the catalyst for the modern day revival was one R.J. Hawke so are you saying him and Howard have this in common? And the Day was celebrated long before Vietnam so we are not now becoming more inclusive with our European wars - quite the opposite - we are being more inclusive with our modern wars and peacekeeping operations.

So my half truth's are where again?  And as for opinions, we all have them but if you do your research then I challenge you to find one thing I have stated above as incorrect.

And if I sound like I have jumped on a soapbox then it's probably because I have pretty strong ties to all this and I take uninformed comments like that quite personally.

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
this country is full of lies , like many countries, and australian history books should be re-written
Haha! Yeah, rewritten to suit your opinion.   :wallywink

so the afl are a bunch of dumbbehinds for recognising moyston as the birth place of aussie rules. lmao
Moyston recognised Moyston, not the AFL. The AFL recognises Tom Wills and the game between Scotch College and Melbourne Grammar.
http://www.afl.com.au/AFLHQ/History/tabid/967/Default.aspx
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott