Author Topic: "I know this will be my last year" - Wallace on 6PR  (Read 1854 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
"I know this will be my last year" - Wallace on 6PR
« on: May 29, 2009, 01:52:44 PM »
Wallace edges towards the exit door
Tim Clarke | May 29, 2009 - 10:33AM WST

Soldier on... Terry Wallace is comfortable with his situation at Richmond.

Terry Wallace is resigned to accept whatever the club decides.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has admitted 2009 will be his last year as coach of the Tigers - whether tomorrow's clash against Fremantle will be his last game in charge is what he is not sure about.

A manic two weeks, which saw Wallace lose 4kg in weight while the dramas swirled around his "non-sacking", will take another high-profile twist tomorrow when Ben Cousins returns to play in Perth for the first time since his sacking by the Eagles.

Arriving in WA on Thursday for his involvement in his 500th game for Richmond as player or coach, Wallace joked he had brought Cousins with him to take some of the heat off himself.

But Wallace also says he knows the deadly serious nature of the AFL dictates a heavy loss to the Dockers could force the Tigers' hand - and he is ready for it.

"I know where I am going - this will be my last year at the Richmond football club. When or where that occurs is probably the unknown landscape at the moment," Wallace told radio 6PR.

"The last thing I wanted was this to turn ugly in terms of club versus coach - and it won't do that.

"I will do what the club wants me to do in any point in time. If that is coach on, I will coach on, if that is step aside … well so be it.

"The reality is I am not going to be there next year and I have sort of said that publicly.

"I think we all know that is the situation, and so I have said to the club I have no issue with them starting to advance themselves to do what they need to do for their future … get their house in order.

"I am comfortable to support a club that gave me a five year contract to do what is necessary.

"If they thought a caretaker coach was the best way to go than I would stand aside and let a caretaker coach come without any issue."

While Wallace is resigned to his fate, the coach has also said a number of his senior players would be playing for their careers in the coming weeks - with forward Nathan Brown chief amongst them.

And Wallace said the playing future of Matthew Richardson would also depend on how he returned from his serious hamstring injury.

"With Nathan in the next ten weeks (he needs to show) whether he can show his body can hold up week in, week out," Wallace said.

"When he gets it right he can play two or three really solid games and play the type of football we know Nathan can play.

"Then all of sudden something gives way.

"Purely and simply, if you knew he was able to get onto the park and play 16 to 18 games his value is there.

"If he is only going to be able to play eight to 10 games then I don’t think any coach is going would be able to take any player in that circumstance.

"(And with Richardson) it will depend on his body, clearly it will depend on how he comes up."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/wallace-edges-towards-the-exit-door-20090529-bpoz.html?page=-1

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: "I know this will be my last year" - Wallace on 6PR
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:51:14 PM »
here's hoping this is indeed his last week and he can go out with dignity intact...does no-one any good at all to drag this through and the fact he has now said as much publicly says quite a bit
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
Best case senario....Tigers win this week ....Wallace walks away with no hard feelings....Media madness stops....Richmond goes under the radar for the rest of the year.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 04:36:44 PM »
You don't really think the media madness will stop if TW goes surely?  :rollin
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 04:51:29 PM »
I dont know..... but perhaps they might turn their attention towards Laidley or Collingwoods position on Malthouse.

We will be back in the headlines no dout when the 2010 coach is annouced and decisions are made over some senior players.
Unleash the tornado

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »

yes I do, will be squarely aimed at lexus centre
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »
Might just be me but gotta say it, Wallace has shown more poise and thought than most at the club.
Take the sting out of the announcement by mentioning it in Perth.

Make it clear that it it the club who make this decision when to leave - not him.
Support the club as he should do given they gave him a 5 year contract- which I hope he continues after his time at Richmond.

Well done Plough, this story will slowly wither on the vine now....
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Moi

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »

yes I do, will be squarely aimed at lexus centre
Half wrong
Lexus centre and our 30+ year olds will be hounded out of the club by the media as well I reckon

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
Might just be me but gotta say it, Wallace has shown more poise and thought than most at the club.

I think alot of people have thought that y&b

Just like a lot people don't want to acknowledge it  ;D

He's been a class act dealing with the media in the last 10 weeks.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »

I think alot of people have thought that y&b

Just like a lot people don't want to acknowledge it  ;D

He's been a class act dealing with the media in the last 10 weeks.

That cant be denied.

He could have let it show through words or body language but he didn't.

As i much as i think he has stuffed our side up you cant deny his attitude in public when discussing the RFC
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 12:25:40 AM »
Robbo was on Ch 7 after the game tonight and according to who he said he has spoken to at the Club Plough won't be tapped on the shoulder after tonight's game. He "justified" it by saying why after not stepping down during the turmoil of last week would you step down the week after.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 12:48:45 AM »
It's obvious the Club and Terry have agreed to not make any official decision until the midyear review is handed down. At least that way the media can't claim a scalp or accuse the club of caving into media and public pressure.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 02:24:46 AM »
Sheeds told foxsports yesterday when they interviewed him that Wallace should see out the season.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
Players need to do their bit now, be competitive, play hard, strong footy without necessarily winning.
Heavy defeats will put pressure on the club - it is pretty clear that the players aren't far off most sides in the comp so that should be avoidable.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline TigerTime

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
Sheeds told foxsports yesterday when they interviewed him that Wallace should see out the season.

of course he would say that  ::)