Author Topic: Zantuck deal fell through  (Read 6955 times)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
Re: Zantuck deal fell through
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2004, 06:40:47 PM »
I heard Miller SEN earlier, and unless my ear decieved, he said that Essendon offered there pick 30 in exchange for Zantuck and our pick 36.  

Tell me it aint so. :gobdrop

You heard him right MY. :o
I hope it was a tease for the Bombers and Miller was late on purpose.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Bulluss

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2004, 06:56:05 PM »
Totally agree,

Miller sounded very smug on SEN this afternoon and good on him.

Zantuck isnt a superstar but for FU&K sakes

Zantuck and pick 36  for pick 30!

Come on Sheedy, your dealing with Miller here!!!

Zantuck will know become a brilliant player under Wallace

Offline alleycat

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 07:28:53 PM »
ahhhhh feeels good to stiff the bummers :)

Offline Crumden

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 07:40:59 PM »
We all should remember the last time Richmond & Essendon traded right in the last minute and we ended up with Blumfield!  ::)

So let's pray to the lord that this blows up in the bombers face this time round.
And funnily enough we were meant to get Blumfield and pick 36 for our pick 30 in that deal, but Essendon got a deal with the Bullies involving Alvey in too late that would have delivered us the pick 36. 

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2004, 07:49:17 PM »
I heard Miller SEN earlier, and unless my ear decieved, he said that Essendon offered there pick 30 in exchange for Zantuck and our pick 36.  

Tell me it aint so. :gobdrop

No wonder he ran past the door I would have too, sheedy tried to screw us, well done greg :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

2JD

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2004, 09:20:10 PM »
WooooHoooooo, i'm a happy camper!!!! ;D

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 09:27:48 PM »
Just watch trading placeson Fox Footy.

Greg Miller said that one of the reasons why the Zantuck to North deal and Richmond ending up with pick 9 was the fact that Ty Zantuck refused to be traded to North
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2004, 09:40:40 PM »
Also missed picks 7 & 10 because Ottens wouldn't go there. Once you see past them having no facilities, no money and a morose coach I'm sure it would be a good place to go. :)
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Minutes turn to months for disgruntled Ty
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2004, 03:46:17 AM »
Minutes turn to months for disgruntled Ty
Chip Le Grand
The Australian
October 09, 2004

TY ZANTUCK was gone in 60 seconds. A minute sooner and the disgruntled Tiger would have been toasting a new contract with Essendon. A minute sooner and Richmond would have been toasting its own good fortune.

But by the AFL clock on the Optus Oval wall, Richmond football manager Greg Miller arrived one minute too late with the requisite paperwork.

Zantuck will stay at Richmond, where he doesn't particularly want to be. The Bombers will have to turn their minds to the pre-season draft, which they didn't particularly want to do.

It is clearly no way to do business. According to the price set by his management in negotiations, Zantuck's services are worth $240,000 a season to an AFL club. While the figure is a moot point, yesterday's debacle was not.

Every year, at least one trade is left stranded on a fax machine or formica table at the 2pm cut-off.

In 2001, it was Essendon's Joe Misiti trying to get to Collingwood. Last year, it was St Kilda's Heath Black trying to get to Fremantle -- a trade belatedly secured yesterday.

The difference this year is journalists and television crews were allowed on to the trading room floor to witness the chaos for themselves.

"I took the wrong turn," a sheepish Miller said. "I sprinted down the corridor and went left instead of right. But Essendon came in to us about two minutes to go, which was obviously too late."

The scenes which took place before Miller's deadline dash were as intriguing as any of the deals struck.

The clubs gathered at 10am to finalise their trades. Three hours later, only one deal had been lodged and tempers were starting to fray.

How many club officials does it take to change a light bulb? It took a table of seven from Hawthorn and Collingwood and the best part of an hour to find a third-round draft pick for West Coast.

"You'd think they were working on the Israeli peace accord," snapped one rival recruiter, whose own trade prospects were hinging on the deal.

The feel-good story was Geelong, which after years of failed attempts landed a big recruit in Brad Ottens. The villain of the piece was Essendon, who earned the wrath of the Tigers and more than one player manager for their late play at Zantuck and trade tease of Western Bulldog Scott West.

The steak-knife award went to former Demon and Docker Troy Longmuir, who was traded to Carlton for the 73rd pick in the national draft.

But if Longmuir is miffed at his dramatic depreciation, he need only consider the fate of Zantuck. In trade week, it is better to be done dirt cheap than a minute too late.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11015632%255E2722,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Minutes turn to months for disgruntled Ty
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2004, 04:04:45 AM »
By Stephen Rielly
October 9, 2004
The Australian

Zantuck's manager, Anthony McConville, said later that Zantuck, who is on holiday in New York, would return to Punt Road Oval and honour the last year of his contract with the Tigers.

"Ty is contracted for next season, so there is nothing to negotiate," McConville said.

"He wanted to move, that didn't happen, and so he'll be back at Richmond and determined to make it work.

"Who knows? He could play another 10 years at Punt Road."

http://realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/10/08/1097089571361.html

I wonder how determined Ty will be to perfrom knowing in one year he can just walk. It'll now be in our best interests as well as his to try and get him to play some decent footy. It's all in Wallace's hands.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2004, 07:39:57 AM »
Funny, Greg Miller didn't look too irate on the news.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2004, 08:05:39 AM »
Besides the Zuntuck mix up , I think we should be reasonably pleased with what has taken place at trade week.

Im happy to see Fiora gone. Might end up a handy player for the Saints if Grant thomas can work on his disposal skills. :)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2004, 01:22:45 PM »
Peter Walsh of Melbourne and pick 45 was traded to Port for Pick 43, so I guess if it is for budgetary reasons, these deals aren't uncommon. In a way I'm glad we had a "suffer in ya jocks" moment with Essendon, a la 'The Castle'. :lol

However, now we must consider our trading postion. Zantuck being traded would have cleared a $240,000 expense from our list and enabled us to take our full compliment in the draft (possibly all 7 picks up to 52). I see everyone complaining about Hilton being on our list, but from a financial point of view, he is beneficial to the Tigers, as he would only be retained on a one year deal on minimum wage, if he is retained at all now. As it is, with 31 on the list, we can take 6 picks in the draft, and one in the PSD...is this enough?

Edit: With Moore still to be added to the senior list, and no more delistings, we may only have 5 picks in the draft  :o
« Last Edit: October 09, 2004, 01:26:06 PM by Fwoy3 »
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2004, 05:16:07 PM »
Edit: With Moore still to be added to the senior list, and no more delistings, we may only have 5 picks in the draft  :o

Miller said a few weeks back that we maybe only using 5 picks. So that would fit in. It's now a case of weighing up someone we have with pick 36 and deciding which is of the greater value to the side and list.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2004, 11:10:34 AM »

Miller said a few weeks back that we maybe only using 5 picks. So that would fit in. It's now a case of weighing up someone we have with pick 36 and deciding which is of the greater value to the side and list.

There is no way we should pass on pick 36 !!  This is just crazy !!  It will be disgraceful if we pass on pick 36 as this is still a good pick.  Last year we only picked up one kid BEFORE pick 36 and used something like 6-7 picks after 36.  It MUST be used.  I would even use pick 52.  That's 7 picks.

As it is currently we have 31 on the list.  Plus 7 in the national and 1 in the PSD, that makes it 39.  Plus Moore = 40. 

Delist Hilton and some other dud if need be but we MUST use pick 36 and to a lesser extent 52. 
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?