Author Topic: Zantuck deal fell through  (Read 6943 times)

Bulluss

Zantuck deal fell through
« on: October 08, 2004, 02:09:31 PM »
Essendon and Richmond had agreed on terms with a trade for Zantuck but they were 2 mins too late.

Huddo didnt mention what we missed out on, but i am not too disappointed with Ty staying.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
Re: Zantuck deal fell through
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 02:14:07 PM »
Shattered.......
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 02:17:22 PM »
Miller has missed it intentionally i betcha, Ty is a tough nut im not unhappy and I bet Wallace isn't either.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 02:19:55 PM »
Would have top off a good trade period if we could have got rid of "Zantuck the hopeless".

Miller has never liked Essendon though so he probably didnt care if he missed the cutoff.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 02:29:44 PM »
Miller deliberately missed the cut-off after last years Soloman saga.

Good move IMO.

Zantuck will be a good player under Wallace.

So the net effect is this -

We replaced Ottens with Simmonds,

and

gained picks 12 and 16,

and still got pick 1 in the PSD (hope we get Salopek)

Not bad.

Bring on the draft.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Bulluss

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 02:37:06 PM »
I agree Harry,

the worst thing that could have happened was that sly old dog Sheedy picking up Ty and turning him into a top player.

Wallace will make him into one of our best players.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 03:57:14 PM »
According to Jack Nhial from the Age on SEN the deal was meant to be Ty for a draft pick (maybe a 3rd).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Disco

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 04:06:06 PM »
Be good to keep Zantuck and use him as our resident thug!

Great to get one over sheedy too! Look forward to hearing about this one and why it didnt go through, perhaps Solomon saga had something to do with it! :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 04:07:53 PM »
Mark Harvey seemed to blame the hold up with the Ottens deal going through.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers irate over missed deadline
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 05:49:41 PM »
Tigers irate over missed deadline
4:28:40 PM Fri 8 October, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal

Richmond football director Greg Miller has laid the blame at Essendon for the fact disgruntled Tiger Ty Zantuck failed by one minute to become a Bomber on the final day of AFL trading on Friday.

Zantuck, who is still contracted at Punt Road but desperate for a fresh start, will be forced to stay with the Tigers in 2005 after Richmond and Essendon failed to secure a trade deal by Friday's 2pm deadline.

This came after Zantuck rejected a proposed move to the Kangaroos earlier during the trade period.

"The AFL says we were one minute late," Miller said of the failed Zantuck-Essendon trade.

"Essendon came to us with about two minutes to go which was obviously too late and said they agreed on a deal."

"We then rushed down (with the official paperwork) to the AFL at the other end of the corridor but the AFL said we were a minute late."

And Miller had no doubt who was to blame for the situation.

"You've got a player who doesn’t want to play with Richmond, he wants to play with Essendon and he is with Richmond now," Miller said of Zantuck.

"That is unfair for the player but Essendon should have acted earlier."

"Hopefully Essendon will learn their lesson on that and go a bit earlier (next time).'

In the end the Bombers were not involved in any trade deals this year, but Richmond was one of the biggest players of trade week.

Not only did it finally secure a deal for disgruntled ruckman Brad Ottens with Geelong after days of haggling - in exchange for two first round draft picks at numbers 12 and 16 - but it also secured a trade for the player Miller sees as Ottens' replacement - Fremantle big man Troy Simmonds.

The Tigers secured Simmonds as part of a three way trade deal which sent Aaron Fiora to St Kilda and the Saints' Heath Black back to Fremantle.

However Miller was immediately on the defensive over reports the Tigers had offered 26-year-old Simmonds a five year contract, refusing to confirm or deny that fact.

The Tigers also still have the first pick in the pre-season draft and are likely to use it on Bulldog forward Patrick Bowden, the younger brother of 2004 Jack Dyer Medalist Joel.

But it is the fact Richmond has five draft picks - numbers 1, 4, 12, 16 and 20 - in the first 20 selections of the November 20 national draft that has Miller excited as the Tigers look to re-build after finishing on the bottom in 2004.

"We needed to replace Brad Ottens and Brad was someone who was tall and who could push forward and so is Troy Simmonds," Miller said.

"So to be able to replace him with someone similar and then get two (extra) first round draft choices, we think we are the winner."

The last time the Tigers had five early draft choices was way back in 1989 when Anthony Banik was taken at pick one but fans will be hoping the 2004 national draft will yield the same kind of dividend as the Tigers' fifth pick (number 29 overall) delivered that season - Wayne Campbell.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=174690

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 05:58:45 PM »
No doubt about it, there are some great players drafted in the 20's  ;D

Offline mellowyellow

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 06:01:20 PM »
I heard Miller SEN earlier, and unless my ear decieved, he said that Essendon offered there pick 30 in exchange for Zantuck and our pick 36.  

Tell me it aint so. :gobdrop

« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 06:04:17 PM by mellowyellow »

Ox

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 06:07:48 PM »
Cant help but think,if this is the case,that it was just Sheedy acting like a shiela again.

Tantalising the Tigers Testis at the last minute for a good laff.

Dog.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 06:12:25 PM »
We all should remember the last time Richmond & Essendon traded right in the last minute and we ended up with Blumfield!  ::)

So let's pray to the lord that this blows up in the bombers face this time round.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

froars

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 06:24:15 PM »
I'd bet my life Miller did that on purpose - just saw him on Channel Nine - and he said Essendon should have been quicker - said with a big smirk on his face.
In the background were the Bombers team giving him daggers!
A classic  :rollin