Author Topic: What do you want to see most from Rawlings regarding gamestyle?  (Read 6433 times)

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
Re: What do you want to see most from Rawlings regarding gamestyle?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2009, 04:52:28 PM »
What do you want to see most from Rawlings regarding gamestyle?

The players running hard up the ground, supporting each other in pairs and threes, driving the ball deep into the forward line and hitting quality forwards who can kick goals most times.

I must be old, but isn't that how Tommy Hafey coached?

AND IT STILL WORKS TODAY.

Don't think about it, JUST BLOODY DO IT.

Speak softly Jade, but wield a BLOODY BIG STICK.

TARGETS boys, its that bloody simple. HIT THE BLOODY TARGET or be hit - HARD.

Offline Jacosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • No bish fish, the moon wasnt right.
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2009, 07:23:32 PM »
I would like him to never allow Simmo, Mcmahon, Brown, JON and Johnson to wear Yellow and Black EVER again.

Secondly i want them replaced by Vickery, Post, Gourdis with Mcguane moved to F/Forward, Alongside Jack and Morton.

This is your time try something different and come Thursday i will know weather this football club is going anywhere when the team sheet is released.

First step was to get rid of TW, second step is to pick a team for our future and FFS those players above plus a dozen more are not the answer.

PLAY THE KIDS FFS AND IF THEY WIN SO BE IT BUT eff THESE OLD PRICKS......THEY ARE NOT OUR FUTURE

Daniel,
I was actually finding myself agreeing with you, which would be a first. Then you had to go and wreck the post by yelling and the use of foul language.  what started out as a good post turned into rubish by your immaturity.
I still like the idea of giving McGuane a run in the fwd line.
Also give Vickery a run there as well, he played up forward as well as ruck in the TAC cup and kicked some very nice goals. He could become a permanent forward if Gus and Browne come along in the ruck.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
I would like to see a more EFFICIENT game plan.

Richmonds Disposals per goal average is the second highest in the competition.Only Melbourne is higher.

Richmond 31.6 disposals per goal

Compare that to the Big Boys

Western Bulldogs   23.4
Geelong               25.0
St Kilda               25.8
Carlton                24.7
Brisbane               25.5

Most of all I just want to see a game plan that does not High light our lack of skill.

Yes please  :thumbsup

No more up and under floaters and more longer goals. Get a Tiger player 40m+ out and we seem to miss more than most sides.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 12:18:31 AM »
Running

Goals

Tall Forwards

Goals From Set Shots

Running Offensively

Running Defensively

Maning Up

Run

Run

Run

Run

Support

One Percenters

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 01:06:10 PM »
I would love to see teammates play for one another, support one another, fight for one another. I haven't seen that since Wayne Campbell came into bat when Libba hit Knights all those years ago.
When Cousins got smashed by Cloke in the first game this season and NO-ONE came to his aid (except Bowden about 5 minutes too late) I said, "Welcome to the Tigers mate, no support or care about your fellow teamate here!" I can only wonder what he was thinking.

P.S For all those who want Schultz to play ???. I'm sorry but I dont agree at all. I would be Very suprised if he plays another senior game. He is a VFL player at best.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »
I would love to see teammates play for one another, support one another, fight for one another. I haven't seen that since Wayne Campbell came into bat when Libba hit Knights all those years ago.
When Cousins got smashed by Cloke in the first game this season and NO-ONE came to his aid (except Bowden about 5 minutes too late) I said, "Welcome to the Tigers mate, no support or care about your fellow teamate here!" I can only wonder what he was thinking.

P.S For all those who want Schultz to play ???. I'm sorry but I dont agree at all. I would be Very suprised if he plays another senior game. He is a VFL player at best.

i wouldnt be too suprised, having dominated in the team he coaches at VFL Im certain rawlo may reserve his own judgement on him rather than consign everyone on their performance under the failed wallace regime...that would be absurd actually being pointless in installing a NEW coach at all :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 10:12:52 PM »
Can't really see the game plan changing as such, you can't change a game plan overnight, only the players can change the way they play following the plan.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »
......... you can't change a game plan overnight, only the players can change the way they play following the plan.

Disagree with that WAT.  I believe you can fundamentally change it overnight.  All clubs have (supposedly) a number of plans to cope with changing scenarios over the course of a match and as professionals the players are expected to be able to flick between these at any given time.  Rawlings is talking up a simple, attacking style and that is not exactly alien or rocket science to any senior player in either concept or capacity to implement.  I think that our players have been struggling with 'hearing' and following a flawed game plan and the wheels have well and truly come off as a result of that.  I think it is well within any team, especially our team in these circumstances, to change mid season and I believe our list is crying out to hear a new message.  Only time will tell if the intent within the group is genuine because the capacity is certainly there.

Tigermonk

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 10:44:40 AM »
......... you can't change a game plan overnight, only the players can change the way they play following the plan.

Disagree with that WAT.  I believe you can fundamentally change it overnight.  All clubs have (supposedly) a number of plans to cope with changing scenarios over the course of a match and as professionals the players are expected to be able to flick between these at any given time.  Rawlings is talking up a simple, attacking style and that is not exactly alien or rocket science to any senior player in either concept or capacity to implement.  I think that our players have been struggling with 'hearing' and following a flawed game plan and the wheels have well and truly come off as a result of that.  I think it is well within any team, especially our team in these circumstances, to change mid season and I believe our list is crying out to hear a new message.  Only time will tell if the intent within the group is genuine because the capacity is certainly there.

:clapping  :thumbsup post ol smokey

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »

You probably need to quote the rest of my post too Smokey. If the game plan changes Rawlings needs to make sure the players can handle the plan he changes it too. If he changes it to a one on one, run and carry through the centre do we have the players to execute this style. I doubt we do because we do not have the skill level do we and if we do we seem to lose it half way through the game. Many professional ex coaches and players have already come out saying that they expect very little change to the plan as it would be too hard to execute at this stage in the season and the players would not cope with it.

Regardless of how many plans there is or was it doesn't seem like we could play any of them well and now we will add another 2 or 3, how will the players cope then.

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »

You probably need to quote the rest of my post too Smokey. If the game plan changes Rawlings needs to make sure the players can handle the plan he changes it too. If he changes it to a one on one, run and carry through the centre do we have the players to execute this style. I doubt we do because we do not have the skill level do we and if we do we seem to lose it half way through the game. Many professional ex coaches and players have already come out saying that they expect very little change to the plan as it would be too hard to execute at this stage in the season and the players would not cope with it.

Regardless of how many plans there is or was it doesn't seem like we could play any of them well and now we will add another 2 or 3, how will the players cope then.

Not sure how omitting your opening "Can't really see the game plan changing as such" changed the context of what you said or my reply but anyway.

You believe you can't change a game plan overnight - I believe you can.  There are many reasons that a game plan fails but some of the main ones are that the players don't like it/don't understand it/don't trust it/aren't built for it.  Changing the game plan does not necessitate reams of paper and weeks of training drills - it can be as simple as shifting the focus on elements of the existing plan.  Rawlings has already indicated a change to a simpler game plan and focus on younger players - we have already demonstrated a quite lethal capacity to score quickly and heavily with our younger players playing to a simple attacking plan.  These 2 things tell me that the capacity is well within this group to turn things around.  I also think the deficiencies in our skill level are a bit of 'chicken and the egg'.  Does our game plan fail because our skills are sub-standard or do our skills fail because we are playing the wrong game plan?  On 3 occasions this year - once against the best side in the competition - we have kicked 8 goals in a quarter and not a deficient skill to be found.  On many other occasions we have had horrendous quarters with many turnovers - do you believe skills appear and disappear because the players are not skillful in the first place or maybe because of other causal influences?  My opinion is that the skills are largely in place but the confidence in the game plan and team mates are not, hence the wild fluctuations but, as I said - just my opinion - I'm a glass half full kind of person.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »
the reasons this year we can kick goals unanswered and the skills look good mainly because the other team had a lapse in concentration and forgot to hit 'em hard. Once those teams got the spray and started to hit us hard we always crumble.

Like I said before we need the team to play for one another, support, they should be prepared to get fined or even weeks for one another if needs be. At this stage these guys dont think their teamate are in their corner and willing to sacrifice his game for the sack of others. Theyre all playing selfish footy at the moment.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 02:54:43 PM »
Ok Smokey we will just see what happens Saturday night, all I am saying is if Rawlings "tinckers" with the current game plan too much we could come unstuck in a big way when we can least afford it.

This game is a must win for us and we should actually be penning this one in, I hope whatever Rawlings has in mind comes off but if it doesn't... well just imagine.

For the record it wasn't the opening of my post it was the last part of my second post.

"Rucks:

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2009, 03:49:01 PM »
Ok Smokey we will just see what happens Saturday night, all I am saying is if Rawlings "tinckers" with the current game plan too much we could come unstuck in a big way when we can least afford it.

More so than we already have?   ;D

This game is a must win for us and we should actually be penning this one in, I hope whatever Rawlings has in mind comes off but if it doesn't... well just imagine.

I imagine the tanking brigade will be very happy chappies!!   ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2009, 04:55:46 PM »
 :whistle :yep